DSLRUsers connection problem?

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

DSLRUsers connection problem?

Postby fenger on Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Quite often when I browse this forum, I get connection error as shown below. Sometimes it lasts half a minute, sometimes a few minutes. It's annoying when I am trying to read the next page. Is this problem common to others?

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=26032

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:

(113) No route to hostThe site you are trying to connect to may be down. This could be a network issue which will be resolved shortly. This could also mean that there is no webserver at the location you are trying to access. Please try the request again if you are sure you have the correct address and the remote webserver is up.
fenger

Postby gstark on Fri May 04, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm currently in Melbourne, and am having no issues accessing the site. Likewise, I have few issues from home, nor from the office. Certainly none that report the error that you're seeing.

Who is your ISP? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? What browser are you using?

The "no route to host" message seems like a problem with your ISP, or at least upstream from them, in theat the routing is failing.

Try a tracert when you see that message; it should show a failure at some point. Send that to your ISP's support people.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri May 04, 2007 7:38 pm

I think Dreamhost might be having random issues. I'm getting timeouts on at least one site I'm working on hosted on Dreamhost at random times.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby fenger on Fri May 04, 2007 7:54 pm

gstark wrote:Who is your ISP? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? What browser are you using?

TPG. No. IE.

Try a tracert when you see that message; it should show a failure at some point. Send that to your ISP's support people.

When this happened, I did not have problem with other sites so I did not bother to do tracert. Next time I'll have a look.
fenger

Postby aswcheng on Fri May 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I think Dreamhost might be having random issues. I'm getting timeouts on at least one site I'm working on hosted on Dreamhost at random times.

Yes, I've noticed Dreamhost being slow at times as well, mostly at night (presumably due to the daytime loads in the US) here. I'm currently using them to host some files, and the response times are not as good as some other hosting sites. I guess that's the downside of shared hosting.

Cheers,
Andy
aswcheng

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat May 05, 2007 1:00 am

My connection seems to be increasingly erratic. It forgets who I am, Server errors, slow, Blocked IP etc
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Sat May 05, 2007 7:40 am

fenger wrote:
gstark wrote:Who is your ISP? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? What browser are you using?

TPG. No. IE.

TPG should be fine.

Try that please.

And Firefox is definitely the preferred browser here.

When this happened, I did not have problem with other sites so I did not bother to do tracert. Next time I'll have a look.

Please do. WHile other sites may be fine, the question of where they are may come into play. You could be looking at three Au hosted sites as well as two in EU and another in San Francisco, and they're all fine, but the routing to LA may still be stufed. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information