Welcome to our latest registered user - NEW2D70

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Welcome to our latest registered user - NEW2D70

Postby fozzie on Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:33 pm

Good to see that you have joined us :) .

Look forward to your post (s) in coming days, and also some pics.

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 pm

Welcom new2D70. You're amongst friends here. Only problem I see is soon you'll need to change your handle to oldhandwithD70 :D
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby johndec on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:26 pm

stubbsy wrote:Welcom new2D70. You're amongst friends here. Only problem I see is soon you'll need to change your handle to oldhandwithD70 :D

Stubbsy,

You've brought up a good point (perhaps inadvertently), in as much that a lot of people join this community with usernames that are either indecipherable or inappropriate, especially considering that we have such a strong online as well as face to face interaction.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a sticky in the Beginners section outlining the importance in choosing a "workable" username. It seems that most of the very active members have a recognizable username such as: Gregxxx, Mattxxx, Geoffxxx, etc or usable nicknames such as Stubbsy, Birddog or Onyx. There are of course exceptions such as sirhc55 and Nnnnnnnnnnnnnsic (oops, key stuck :shock: ), but most regulars address them by their real names now.

It's not hard to work out what my name is from my username, but I think a subtle hint that "FullySikBro" and "RX7Rulez" perhaps may not be how they may wish to referred to when they are sitting in a Chinese restaurant with 30 fellow members :oops:

Of course, it's up to each member to choose his username, but Ive been to a few mini-meets and it's a damm sight easier to remember someone's name if their username bears some semblance to their real name :lol:
johndec

Postby mudder on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:41 pm

G'day New2D70, welcome to the best forum around :-)

Stubbsy and John, you have a good point... When I organised the mini-meet, I had no idea when someone called to introduce themselves until they said I'm ${wierd_name} from the D70 forum... Was funny at the time though :lol:

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby bago100 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:00 pm

Yes - welcome New2D70 :D

This is a great place to visit even though it isa really hard to keep up with everything these days.

Please do not take offence about Johndec's comments. Currently every member is free to choose their own unique username, but if you really do become a regular here, you will find it kinda hard to remember and associate some of the members usernames and real names and I guess that is the point of Jondec's perfectly justified discussion.

Just about anything and everything does get discussed here at some point in time and often mostly friendly banter ebbs and flows between various members.

Rest assured, you are very welcome to belong here and we would encourage your contribution, questions and ideas whenever they occur. There is vast knowledge and experience in abundance in this forum that is now available to you and you have chosen well in becoming a member.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Well here I am undecipherable 8)

But seriously if everyone put there real name at the bottom of each message we would soon know them by their real name and answer questions and critique etc with the name.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby johndec on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:05 am

bago100 wrote:Yes - welcome New2D70 :D

This is a great place to visit even though it isa really hard to keep up with everything these days.

Please do not take offence about Johndec's comments.

Yes, please don't as I went to great lengths to avoid offence (at least I thought I did.)

Currently every member is free to choose their own unique username

As I pointed out

but if you really do become a regular here, you will find it kinda hard to remember and associate some of the members usernames and real names and I guess that is the point of Jondec's perfectly justified discussion.

It was actually. I even invented fake names to illustrate my point so that I didn't "accidently" offend anyone.
johndec

Postby MattC on Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:14 am

Gidday New2D70, welcome aboard. Don't be shy. We are a pretty good lot around here. All housed trained and no biters!
Also welcome to nikcamera, Kellogs, rahudman (who I see is posting already) and theK.

On the subject of usernames. People around here may have noticed that my user name changed a couple of weeks back. Either that or people were wondering who this guy was that they had never seen before and who had around 250 posts up. I figured that it was time for something more appropriate. Besides that, I disliked being called mattco6974 especially when there was a "mattco 6974 wrote:" in the post. That username was ill conceived. It is the first part of my email address and has no meaning whatsoever. I really did not know at the time I joined that I would be hanging around for so long.
I try to use names where appropriate and in such a way as to avoid confusion. I have never met anyone from the forum, and maybe never will, but it has such a tight little core and sometimes I feel that I am getting to know some of you.

Names are good - they make this little community a little more personal instead of anonymous.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Re: Welcome to our latest registered user - NEW2D70

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:51 am

fozzie wrote:Good to see that you have joined us :) .

I would like to agree with you, but thus far this user has tried to join the forums, on no less than 5 separate occassions, using 5 different but invalid email addresses.

It's elementary - this board requires validation of members using a valid and current email address. Put in bogus address, and the validation email will not get to you.

So far this user has put in 5 bogus email addresses; I'm hoping that he or she sees this message and will now do me the courtesy of letting me know which of the 5 user IDs they wish to use, and that they give me a valid and current email address along with it.

OTOH, I'm not interested in someone trying to abuse this site by using fake or multiple IDs.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 am

gstark wrote:
fozzie wrote:Good to see that you have joined us :) .

I would like to agree with you, but thus far this user has tried to join the forums, on no less than 5 separate occassions, using 5 different but invalid email addresses.

It's elementary - this board requires validation of members using a valid and current email address. Put in bogus address, and the validation email will not get to you.

So far this user has put in 5 bogus email addresses; I'm hoping that he or she sees this message and will now do me the courtesy of letting me know which of the 5 user IDs they wish to use, and that they give me a valid and current email address along with it.

OTOH, I'm not interested in someone trying to abuse this site by using fake or multiple IDs.

My question is: why should people do this for? any benefit to them for spend their time in doing this? I can see he or she 's going to abuse this peaceful place, Gary, thanks for tracking and pointing out to us.
All of us should keep our eyes on these guys.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 am

The only reason I can come up with is possible logins for spamming, but other than that, I have no clue, especially when they can't actually get their account running, any of them, without a good email address.

For Christ sakes, if you have problems accessing your isp's domain that you have, get something free like a Hotmail or Yahoo or Gmail account... geeze...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 am

Birddog114 wrote:My question is: why should people do this for? any benefit to them for spend their time in doing this? I can see he or she 's going to abuse this peaceful place, Gary, thanks for tracking and pointing out to us.
All of us should keep our eyes on these guys.

I haven't a clue.

I'm perfectly happy to have this person join us.

Once.

If they have issues getting their confirmation email, is it that difficult a task to figure out that they should email one of the admins?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:57 am

I just think they're a bit clueless. Looking at the user list they give the same smugmug url each time and the same location. The first time they tried the userid matched their smugmug one.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:07 am

stubbsy wrote:I just think they're a bit clueless. Looking at the user list they give the same smugmug url each time and the same location. The first time they tried the userid matched their smugmug one.

I'm not going to argue with you on this first point. :)

One really interesting thing for me is the number of potential VI candidates Leigh and I have discussed over the last week and a half ... since we originally broached the subject, actually.

Suffice to say, there have been several, and, for one particular contender, multiple entries. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:09 am

This actually isn't the first time someone's tried with more than one account.
Nnnnsic

Postby Rick on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:14 am

Gooday,

Re user names,

I must lead a dull lfe, I spend time trying to decipher the meanings of names, Birdy explained his & I know where Woody got his, now i am trying to decipher "Bago 100" ?

Aha a clue Location "Brisbane"

Question, Do you wear white shoes?

Oh well, back to work.

Cheers.
Rick

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:16 am

I'm not sure why names necessarily have to be interpreted... they're just internet callsigns, handles... like a nickname... they don't have to have a reason to exist, they just can.
Nnnnsic

Postby bago100 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:35 pm

Rick wrote:Gooday,

Re user names,

I must lead a dull lfe, I spend time trying to decipher the meanings of names, Birdy explained his & I know where Woody got his, now i am trying to decipher "Bago 100" ?

Aha a clue Location "Brisbane"

Question, Do you wear white shoes?

Oh well, back to work.

Cheers.

Rick

How about explaining your theory about my Username, and the Brisbane location clue? Also you might like to explain why you wish to know what colour shoes I wear?

Graham
bago100

Postby Rick on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:02 am

Graham,

Just showing my age, "Bago 100" and "Brisbane" took me back to Queensland politics in the '80's.

The "White Shoe Brigade" and the Brisbane "Bag Men".

Just an attempt at some warped humor, what is your user name connection.

Rick.
Rick

Postby bago100 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm

aha Rick - some very benign but clever humour there! :D

Ok you are off the hook!

Bago is a nickname (derived from my surname) bestowed upon me by childhood friends who would often chorus "Never fear, Bago is here".

In approximately 47.25 years time, I want to celebrate 100 years of life. That's the plan and long term goal.

So add the two together and you get Bago100.

If you were to choose a nickname, what nickname would you bestow upon yourself and why?

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Rick on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:38 am

Graham,

I hope you got a smile at least from my interpretation, the real reason for you name is probably like most user names.

The name I use is an abreviation of my real name (I have only been called by my full name when in trouble).

I used this nick name as my user name because my last try at self naming did not meet with much success.

When our 1st grandchild was born I was asked what I wanted him to call me. My Dad was already "Grandpa" and I did'nt see myself as a "Pop" so I settled For "Grand Dad".
I still can't see anything wrong with my first choice, "SIR" stills sounds good to me.

Cheers Rick.
Rick

Postby bago100 on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:33 pm

Rick

I did indeed get a huge smile :D when you explained what you meant. It is so easy to misinterpret the written word hence a polite request for an explanation. I wasn't sure if you were having a go at me or what. :lol:

Sir is a good choice. I can recall my school days when all the teachers were Sir or Ma'am. Doesn't often happen these days though but I'm not qualified to say whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Who knows?

You could have also considered Papa Rick as a grandad's name. I want to be called "papa" of a grandchild arives. Still Grand Dad is pretty neat as well. At least, you can graduate to being a "Great Grand Dad" one day but I have never heard of a "Great Papa" .

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Return to Information