Onyx is online

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Onyx is online

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:55 pm

How are you doing Onyx?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:58 pm

Aside from the fact I hope you've arrived safely and settled in I'm betting you have a seriously large number of unread posts to catch up on. Enjoy.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:58 pm

Welcome Onyx, how was the trip? How are you settling in to HK?
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi Onyx,
What's your observation about HKG? at first sight?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey guys, yes I was online. At 4:30am local time as I couldn't get to sleep after the flight! For some reason I'm having issues with the computer that's at the flat. Kept login me out immediately after I confirm my login details, I tried to post but was unable to. I'm at HKSupplies offices now, taking a breather. I love WinXP in all traditional chinese characters - I can't understand a character of it! I'm navigating menu options entirely by memory (and good thing for universal icons). ;)

Thank you for the well wishes everybody - if I could turn your attention to my Fotopic gallery (link in sig), you'll see I've started a Hong Kong gallery and so far there's some pics of the flat that Mr Poon has so generously provided me with. I also flew over Ayers Rock on the way, and got a pic of that but that needs a little PP work to be presentable.

Singapore Airlines was by far the best in flight service I've received on any airline I've flown! (I wish they were paying me to say that). Lots of on demand movies, and music channels - the food was exquisite, not just for airline food standards but for dining out....

From the other thread - I tried wireless at Changi airport, picked up nothing...

HK so far - I love this place. I have extremely generous hosts which has made the difference IMO. I underestimated the cold weather. Sure I got warm clothes, but ny nose and ears are freezing! :?
Onyx

Postby johndec on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:28 pm

Hey Onyx. I noticed a can of Pringles in the first shot. :lol: Check the opacity !! Maybe they still make the "right" sort of lid in HK. If so bring me back one :shock:

Cheers and enjoy youself.
John
johndec

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:38 pm

LOL, actually Jon, that Pringles was brought over from a Woolies in Sydney. It was sitting on the shelf next to the less transparent lidded batch. I'm assuming it's older stock, but it tasted no different (still too salty). But yeah, it was the primary reason I bought it - for the lid! ;)
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:00 pm

Onyx, nice looking apartment. Notice you have 2 notebooks and one desktop, somewhat well serviced on the pc front. Also noticed as well as your large brown shoes there seemed to be a smaller pair of blue slippers on the right as well as your black thongs on the left. Been there a scant few hours and you already have a female friend?? :wink:
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm

Onyx wrote:Hey guys, yes I was online. At 4:30am local time as I couldn't get to sleep after the flight! For some reason I'm having issues with the computer that's at the flat. Kept login me out immediately after I confirm my login details,

Check your cookies and privacy settings. Also perhaps firewall/AV settings might be getting in the way.

If it has IE installed, download Firefox and be done with it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:12 pm

Glen wrote:Onyx, nice looking apartment. Notice you have 2 notebooks and one desktop, somewhat well serviced on the pc front. Also noticed as well as your large brown shoes there seemed to be a smaller pair of blue slippers on the right as well as your black thongs on the left. Been there a scant few hours and you already have a female friend?? :wink:

Glen,
Well spotted!
He looked after himself very well! I wish I'm young once again :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Yes Birddog, to be young, good looking and on the loose in honkers for 12 weeks, I am envious too :wink:
Glen

Postby BBJ on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:11 pm

Yeh lucky fellow, i thought i missed out as to why he gone to HK for sent a pm but ended up to glen, lol but yeh now i know what he is upto and wish him all the best and hope he makes the most of it while he can.
Would be nice to not be tired down and free to raom around jet setting here and there.
Well good onya onyx we want lots of pics.
Cheers
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Onyx on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:43 pm

LOL, oh man, I think I posted the wrong pics. ;) Most of the stuff featured in them aren't mine. Or there's another explaination for the female shoes... The Ladyboys of Bangkok.

Yes I'm well looked after computerwise but it's only 1 notebook, and 1 desktop with LCD screen in the apartment shot. And a 14" TV with 5 channels but only 1 in English!

The HKSupplies offices are much more droolworthy. The stacks of Canon 70-200 IS, 16-35, 24-70, 85/1.2L, etc. Contax T3, Mamiya 645E, Panasonic Lumix LC1, Leica M7, Hassleblad, masses of Nikon gold boxes sporting 24-85, 24-120VR, TC-14E, 18-70DX, 10.5/2.8, 70-300ED but sadly no 70-200VR... and then there's the lone 170-500 Stigma sitting on a shelf on its own. :D
Onyx

Postby Geoff on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Onyx - congrats on your new adventure and pad..appears you have landed on your feet with this job...I am genuinely really happy for you. Without getting too philosophical, all I can say is that 'good things happen to good people' and you my friend are a genuinely great guy...and I wish you all the very best. I know this is both sentimentally and sincerely echoed by your D70user buddies. Keeps us updated and stay warm! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Onyx on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:01 am

Awww, thanks Geoff. But really, I'm getting royal treatment here! I'd use the word "work" very loosely... they didn't want me helping out their packing of boxes (destined for Germany and UK, none for Aust today) I was commanded to "just sit down and relax". Mr Poon and his whole family has gone out of their way for me. They are exceptional people, and I am very grateful for everything they've done for me so far. This is not karma on my part cos I haven't done anything so deserving of this! Mr Poon is simply a really wonderful person and I was fortunate enough to be caught in his generosity.

In the meanwhile, I think I can reveal that a B&H'esque new website will be coming soon, and HKSupplies will strive to capitalise on their ebay powerseller status and start concentrating more on direct online sales that'll save them on ebay listing fees and consequently offer better prices for their customers (pending new website issues of course)!

Take care everyone.
Onyx

Postby MHD on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:43 am

Awesome... Any ideas what you will be doing?

handling the massive amounts of orders from d70users ;)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:45 am

He's waiting for the "bridemaid". :lol: :lol:
Not really so much activities for the D70Users from his ends, but there are few.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:17 pm

More pics up on my Fotopic site, Hong Kong gallery. I got to play with a Nikon F6 (pic of Mr Poon posing with it in the gallery) - having handled Huynhie's F5 thinking it's solid, the F6 builds on that again! It's much heavier than the D2H, inherits the 11 point AF from Nikon's top tier DSLRs (I think the F5 only had 5 AF points). Unfortunately we only took it out of the packaging for photographic/promo purposes, I couldn't test run a roll of film in it. ;)

I can't wait for a D2X to pass by this way... isn't it due for official launch tomorrow? :D

Also the near mythical creature, a 50mm f/1 lens - I can confirm it exists. I've seen one, touched it, held it and even photographed it! ;) You can have one for ~$US2.5k. (It's a Leica Noctilux, not for Nikon mount in case anyone asks)

edit: I've tried to contain the camera/equipment lust to a Pixspot gallery here, but it spat out an error message on me. Some Canon stuff and a returned borked Gitzo 2227. CF is extremely tough stuff, and short of being run over by a car, I can't comprehend how it ever got broken!
Onyx

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanx for the pix Onyx.
It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. :)
Last edited by the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the foto fanatic

Postby birddog114 on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 pm

Onyx wrote:More pics up on my Fotopic site, Hong Kong gallery. I got to play with a Nikon F6 (pic of Mr Poon posing with it in the gallery) - having handled Huynhie's F5 thinking it's solid, the F6 builds on that again! It's much heavier than the D2H, inherits the 11 point AF from Nikon's top tier DSLRs (I think the F5 only had 5 AF points). Unfortunately we only took it out of the packaging for photographic/promo purposes, I couldn't test run a roll of film in it. ;)

I can't wait for a D2X to pass by this way... isn't it due for official launch tomorrow? :D

Also the near mythical creature, a 50mm f/1 lens - I can confirm it exists. I've seen one, touched it, held it and even photographed it! ;) You can have one for ~$US2.5k. (It's a Leica Noctilux, not for Nikon mount in case anyone asks)

You're a lucky bugger! :lol: you dare to touch all Mr Poon's treasures + collectibles lenses in his cupboard, his cupboard is more worth than I have here :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Onyx, thanks for the pics and glad you are enjoying yourself. Hope you are getting some time to roam the streets and take photos?
Glen

Postby BBJ on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:28 pm

Hey Matey, Love the pics u keep them comming with your busy schedual.
Hope all is going well for you and look after all those goodies for us all.
Cheers
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby Matt. K on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:35 pm

Glad to hear you are setlling in and getting looked after. We all miss you here already and it's going to be a long 12 weeks for us. I'm sure I saw a tear fall from Birdies face when he mentioned you...but he claimed it was hot and he was sweating. Sweaty eyeballs? Enjoy and learn and keep us posted. We are family.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:37 pm

You must be in seventh heaven Onyx - enjoy :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:48 am

Awww, thanks MattK, how touching. ;) I miss you guys too - I'll get especially lonesome during saturday morning when the mini meets would have been on.

Glen, I should get a chance to do the touristy things this w/end. Mr Poon and his family will be in China, so I'm left to my own devices. Luckily, Wile_E has given me a comprehensive list of must see/must do things, so I shall remain active.

So far, the days are long but I'm not doing very much - it's relaxing and cruisey. Incidently, the HKSupplies office has special 6500k daylight fluorescent tubes, so it's ideal for photography (WB isn't far off with the D70). :)

So, anyone ordering a Canon 350XT? ;)
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:59 am

Onyx wrote:So, anyone ordering a Canon 350XT? ;)

Sounds more like a video card than a camera... will it handle Half-Life 2 and 3D Studio Max? :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Glen on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:27 am

Onyx, I am glad you are enjoying it. Always nice to cruise around by yourself (as well as with people), gives you a good chance to meet the locals. Maybe even collect a few more sets of slippers :wink: Mr Poon has a holiday house in China doesn't he? Sounds like you are getting lots of fun things to play with. When you get info on upcoming lenses being released don't forget to pm your mates in Aus. Do you do quality contol on anything? Like a D2X, just to check it is ok, of course? Glad you are having fun :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:11 am

Onyx,
This week end you're free so you can tour around HKG Central and other beautiful places, ask Nigel and he may come with you.
Great places and opportunities there man! :D
Take care and behave yourself OK? :D be gentle with the "babies" around and bring home one with you :shock:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby BBJ on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:15 am

Onyx, Yes i agree with birdy, be good have fun and lots of pics and enjoy it. Be good mate.
BBJ

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:13 am

Onyx wrote:Also the near mythical creature, a 50mm f/1 lens - I can confirm it exists. I've seen one, touched it, held it and even photographed it! ;) You can have one for ~$US2.5k.

Which Leica mount?

Will it fit the Epson RD-1 ?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby huynhie on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:42 am

Onyx,

good to here from you, sounds like your have a ball playing around with all this equipement. :D

Hopefully you can keep us updated on all these exotic equipement during your stay. BTW, we'll keep a chair empty at Birddog's mini meet in your honour :wink:
huynhie

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Late yesterday we had a D2h returned for apparently the metering fault. I've read about this issue, commonly brought up in other forums - and will be evaluating the returned unit today before sending off to Nikon... during initial check yesterday, it seemed fine.

I've been spoilt by Birddog's range of toys, so perhaps I'm not getting maximal "buzz" out of all the toys here.

Gary, I wouldn't know which Leica mount, but it fits on the M7 body. Shall I put you down for 1 lens and 1 RD-1 body? ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:18 pm

Onyx,
Poon has the Epson RD-1 right?

Gary, I wouldn't know which Leica mount, but it fits on the M7 body. Shall I put you down for 1 lens and 1 RD-1 body?

Gary is looking forward these for his birthday, perhaps :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:19 pm

Onyx wrote:Shall I put you down for 1 lens and 1 RD-1 body?

Onyx. You're getting as bad as birddog. Isn't it enough to have one person like that here :)
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:52 pm

Onyx,

Birddog114 wrote:Onyx,

Gary, I wouldn't know which Leica mount, but it fits on the M7 body. Shall I put you down for 1 lens and 1 RD-1 body?

I don't think they're compatible.

The Epson RD-1 is the new Epson digital that's a replica of the old Leica rangefinder cameras. Takes the old Leica glass. The M7 body is an SLR, IIRC.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:02 pm

This just in - a large shipment arrived at the offices of HKSupplies, 1700hours local time. Among it is 1x 80-400VR lens! Plus 5 D70 bodies, F6's, MB40, lots of gold boxes (Nikkor lenses) and surprisingly Canon A95 and Casio Exilim and Sony T3 PHD cameras (unusual as HKSupplies doesn't usually deal with PHD cams).

Edit: also a Gitzo 1228 and 2227.
Onyx

Postby fozzie on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:05 pm

Onyx,

This inside information is great. Sooner or later it may not be good for my bank balance :( . But keep up the good work.

ta ta for now,
:)
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:08 pm

Onyx wrote:This just in - a large shipment arrived at the offices of HKSupplies, 1700hours local time. Among it is 1x 80-400VR lens! Plus 5 D70 bodies, F6's, MB40, lots of gold boxes (Nikkor lenses) and surprisingly Canon A95 and Casio Exilim and Sony T3 PHD cameras (unusual as HKSupplies doesn't usually deal with PHD cams).

Edit: also a Gitzo 1228 and 2227.

Perhaps the PHD is bundle and free :lol: :lol: So no sight of the 70-200VR :?:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:30 pm

Nup, sorry no 70-200, but three 17-55DX. They came in HUGE boxes! The lens only took up 60% of the space inside! :P
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:31 pm

Onyx wrote:Nup, sorry no 70-200, but three 17-55DX. They came in HUGE boxes! The lens only took up 60% of the space inside! :P

I've ordered 03 x D70 body and 02 x 17-55Dx, believe those stocks are for Australia.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:34 pm

:shock: And no D2x :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby joet on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:42 pm

Chi,

I really love your night pictures of around Causeway Bay :D :D Reminds us both of happy times spent in the area :!: :!:

However, Chryssine pointed out that in the one you claim to have unreadable Chinese writing, there is a very clear English translation at the bottom :lol: :lol:

Will do my best for you at the mini meet, but we all miss you already (as the Americans say) and Chryssine will have to find someone else to mother.
Regards

Joe
joet
500 posts - only 6 years to go

Location: 2/163 Booker Bay Rd, Booker Bay, NSW Nikon D70, D300

Postby stubbsy on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:09 pm

Onyx

Just been looking at your pics also. Can't believe they REALLY use bamboo scaffolding. Like you say I always thought it was a Jackie Chan movie thing.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:35 pm

joet wrote:However, Chryssine pointed out that in the one you claim to have unreadable Chinese writing, there is a very clear English translation at the bottom :lol: :lol:

Yes, and I took that shot with the intention of blanking out the letters 'EN' from "Fuk Yuen" ;) BTW all night shots were available light and ISO500.
Onyx

Postby joet on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:42 am

Onyx,

You really should have travelled more from the far west when you resided there :lol: :wink:

The "FUK YUEN SEAFOOD RESTAURANT" has been in Help St, Chatswood for about 15 years and my sons have always made the same obscene reference about it to their mother :oops: :oops:

Keep up the documentary of HK scenery... it makes us want to visit again.
Regards

Joe
joet
500 posts - only 6 years to go

Location: 2/163 Booker Bay Rd, Booker Bay, NSW Nikon D70, D300

Postby dooda on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:47 am

gstark wrote:Onyx,

Birddog114 wrote:Onyx,

I don't think they're compatible.

The Epson RD-1 is the new Epson digital that's a replica of the old Leica rangefinder cameras. Takes the old Leica glass. The M7 body is an SLR, IIRC.

I read the noise was unbearable at 400+ ISO, and poor value compared to D70
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:05 am

dooda wrote:I read the noise was unbearable at 400+ ISO, and poor value compared to D70

This camera isn't about the noise, ISO, or value. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:17 am

gstark wrote:
dooda wrote:I read the noise was unbearable at 400+ ISO, and poor value compared to D70

This camera isn't about the noise, ISO, or value. :)

I must confess, I did like the idea of it sitting among my camera equipment...but at a slightly lower price.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:22 am

Maybe it's like the Kodak camera... great concept with poor execution...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:39 am

Actually, the reviews that I've read of it all seem to be very impressed with the camera, from the concept through to its execution.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Information