Photographing children - still debating!

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Photographing children - still debating!

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:24 am

From our national newspaper, The Australian, this morning.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12373491%255E2702,00.html
the foto fanatic

Postby stubbsy on Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:42 pm

cricketfan

Thanks for the link. Let's hope this keeps up for a while and a more sensible balance eventuates.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Geoff on Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:54 pm

I was very sadened to read this, very sadened. Surely the LARGE majority of photographers are taking the images with the right intention!? I imagine this post will spark a lot of discussion - I watch and wait.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Killakoala on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:29 pm

One of the natioanl current affairs programmes (6:30pm type) held a poll on how parents feel about banning photographing of their children at swim carnivals and a vast majority of 96% were dead set against banning cameras at swim meets.

There you go. If councils ban them then they are in total contradiction of popular opinion, which begs the question of, 'if councils are elected to enact the interests of the public then how can they go against the general opinion?', but that's a whole other subject. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby MattC on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:44 pm

Cricketfan,

Thanks for the link.

I thought that the article was balanced and it is a pleasant change to see something that is not sensationalising the whole issue, unlike some of the gutter journalism that we have seen in prime time TV.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby christiand on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:44 pm

Where is this going ?

How ridiculous to stop parents taking photos of their children.
How many parents are photographing their children + the children' s friends for later years to have a memory ?
... Remember darling, when Josie or Greg came first in the swimming carnival ? ...
I, my wife and my mum probably have to go to jail because we have taken photos of a helpless underage naked girl ---> my daughter, when she was little.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby birddog114 on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:07 pm

I don't care if my child are in the carnival and I have the right to take photo of my son, whatever people says, I can tell and show them, there's my son in my camera, that's my rights to do it, keep the memories for the next generation. Unfortunately I don't have those opportutinities anymore, all my kids are teenages and they rarely get into those carnivals.

That's shame for us!, Pro or hobby photogs! we lost every rights to preserve our memories in public places even with our blood.

That's unfair for all other people to use the cameras for capturing their valued memories, which monies can't be bought!

That make me remember: how cruel and no freedom, no democracy once I lived under the Communist regime! Are they heading that way?

That's a big liar from all the councilors, who got our votes for their survive and B*S* against our wills.

By the end of the day, we're all victims :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Catcha on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:57 am

Maybe with all these parents kicking up a fuss it might be toned down should i say. I guess it's only recently as the pedophile whoever his name is has been let loose again and people don't want him in there neighbourhood. And him trying to get a apply for a job to help children *what a joke* but when it all dies down i think people might have some compassion in allowing parents to take pictures at events
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Return to Information