Our Geoff with a D2x in his hands

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Our Geoff with a D2x in his hands

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:06 am

Hi,
I've just met him over Maxwell office, he's among few other photographers playing "cat & mouse" in the the wedding workshop at Maxwell's office.
He's brilliant with the brand new the D2x in his hand but it's pity, the lens is the 12-24DX, how can you shoot model and wedding session with the 12-24Dx :shock:
Quite attractive model bride and groom, they do indoor and outdoor shoot!
Leave the rest for Geoff to comment :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Link on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:09 am

Lucky him!!! :D Impatient to see his first impressions!

Link.
Link

Postby huynhie on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 am

Lucky Geoff! Did he happen to walk out of the Maxwell office with the D2X hidden away somewhere :wink:
huynhie

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 am

I think you guys should be able to see the green of my envy from Sydney...

Lucky bugger :)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby huynhie on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:13 am

MHD,

I don't think we were able to part you away from Birddogs long lenses, mainly the 70-200VR and the 200-400VR.

I do have to admit, those guys do have that effect on people :wink:
huynhie

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:15 am

Link wrote:Lucky him!!! :D Impatient to see his first impressions!

Link.

I had two hours at Maxwell office yesterday for the launch of D2x! I played around with it mostly two hours and never want to part it :cry: What can I say? I have the D70/ D100/D2h, yes and definitely the D2x will be in my inventory shortly, say a week or ten days!

Size and other bits same as the D2h, the focus is terribly faaaaast :D the 6MP and 12MP configuration will make you :shock: Film replacement? IMO, It's! lower noise like the D70, and more and more......
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 am

Birddy, very very happy for you :D :D Ten days is not long.

Geoff, pleased there was some nice bonuses at your Wedding course
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 am

MHD wrote:I think you guys should be able to see the green of my envy from Sydney...

Lucky bugger :)

That why we called this place is SYDNEY 8)
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Oneputt on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:39 am

Well I have already got my 2X and I am not that impressed!
Oneputt

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:41 am

Oneputt wrote:Well I have already got my 2X and I am not that impressed!

It's missing the letter D in the front of it, and that why you're not impressed! I wish they have XXXX on the new model of the DSLR :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Oneputt on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:43 am

You are too smart Birddog. I just wanted to see if I could make you spit coffee over your computer :lol: I meant of course my 2x teleconverter :D
Oneputt

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Geoff, hurry back and let us know your report & first impressions of Nikon's new flagship! :)
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Onyx, I thought you would be throwing D2X's all around Poon's office? We miss you here :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Onyx wrote:Geoff, hurry back and let us know your report & first impressions of Nikon's new flagship! :)

Onyx,
If you were in Sydney yesterday, I take you to Maxwell for playing with the D2x, if you had a hands on the D2h, you won't see much difference with the D2x body, of course the internal and its performance are big difference to the D2h, look back to the D70, the D70 is a real baby by all means. If you shoot with the D2h, you won't bother to touch the D70, (my case I'm with D70 + D100) and with the D2x you'll have your D70/ D100 in your bag permanently without touching them again.
Great body! I'm waiting for it btw.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 pm

Geoff's just sent me a couple of SMS messages, and the bottom line is that he's in love!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 pm

gstark wrote:Geoff's just sent me a couple of SMS messages, and the bottom line is that he's in love!

The D2x will be on the "Lust listing" of many people! especially with our Geoff as he had a hands on to that baby.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby JordanP on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:00 pm

its been on my lust list since it was first anounced - got even worse when the reviews came out .... heaven forbid I ever get one in my hands.
Craig
JordanP

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 pm

indeed... could be a costly hold!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:04 pm

What that in work terms Craig - 1 wedding, 3 album sales, etc.?! ;) it will pay for itself in no time...
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:10 pm

Onyx wrote:What that in work terms Craig - 1 wedding, 3 album sales, etc.?! ;) it will pay for itself in no time...

Onyx,
You convince people to buy the D2x while you + Poon have no stock to supply, giving me more pressure :shock:
I have so many people asked/ emailed me the availibilty of D2x stock in the last couple days.
Am I giving up on you? :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:25 pm

Our Geoff should be back and online now and we're waiting for his report.
Birddog114
birddog114

The D2x - first impressions!

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:25 pm

Well I'm home from the International Portrait and Wedding Expo Seminar, held by Nulab. I ran away with the D2x, I ran hard, and I ran fast, then after a while, the hand cuffs hurt too much so I just had to give the beautiful camera back, the police have it in their posession now who knows how long they will be finger printing it for!?

In all seriousness, all I can say is 'wow. Where do I begin? It was a complete surprise when two of the Maxwell staff walked into the room, and the guy running the seminar (who was a canon man through and through) said that Maxwell had given us special permission to play with 2 of the only 5 that have come into the country already, only for an hour or so. I think the dribble coming from my mouth and my chin on the floor was a bit off putting to some (especially the canon users) but I couldn't wait to get my hands on this baby! As soon as I held it, we fell in lust, it wanted a good home, I wanted to give it one. With a RRP of $7999 (maxwell price, not birddog price) I will book 4-5 weddings and a few other portrait jobs and this camera, will one day be mine. Believe me, I *will* have this camera in the future. It was deceptively light, massive chunk of a unit with the grip, it felt so natural to be in my hands, very comfortable and ergonomic. My first realisation was it's SUPER fast focusing - so very silent (non audible I reckon) and it's clarty. ISO 100 was another nice enhancement. The Maxwell guys were giving it a good sell and telling us how many more 'in camera' functions it had, such as cropping in camera and I think saving the cropped image. It also has WiFi (802.11g) capabilities - great for so many reasons - the wedding photo, straight to laptop, the photojournalist, straight to the lappy then to the office, the sports journo etc etc. It was difficult to concentrate on what the maxwell man was saying as i was busily trying to navigate this awesome piece of equipment, without hogging it and giving everyone a go. THere were two of them between 12 of us for just over an hour - fortunately I think the other people there (most canon photos) were aware of my lusting and were happy for me to keep on playing. At the seminar they had hired two models for the wedding shoot demonstration, we did a number of inside and outside shots, and as birdy has said putting a 12-24 on the D2X for wedding shots (mostly portraiture) was a bit hit and miss. No inbuilt flash which I think is a good thing, they say that the capablilties of the SB-800 are really amplified with the new D2X - i had no need to attach mine as we had some reasonably good natural light + there was not a lot of time. The size of the LCD on the back was enormous, I was trying to find out where you could plug in your DVD player and watch a wide screen movie, but that function, I couldn't find. The menu settings on this camera are a LOT more detailed than the D70, but you would come to expect that for a camera nearly 4 times the price of our beautiful and still treasured D70.
I haven't had a lot of time with the D100 but it had quite a few similarities that I can remember from what I've seen of our Birddogs one. I did the right thing and took my own memory card and shoved it in the D2X and I will definately post some images that I took today from it.
In finishing, I want to re-iterate what great camera our D70 is (for the price) and I don't want this to start a thread where everyone feels they MUST go out and get the D2x. Having said that I feel that *IF* I had that sort of cash flow, then I would order one tomorrow!!! The battery life of the D2x is also another fantastic feature, they said that some of their techs had the camera a few days ago at some sporting event and went nuts with it ALL day and into the evening, when they got back to base, the camera still had about 20-25% camera life. Another added feature of the camera is it has an inbuilt battery metre, which I know I would find very useful.
I was pleasantly surprised (as you have read) to bump into birdy out at Maxwell as we were coming down the stairs from the seminar, I was still dazed and amazed that I had one of the very first D2X's that had come into the country around my neck. I did consider running, and running very fast, as Craig had suggested. Hopefully when I have a few more weddings and portrait jobs down up my sleeve the glorious!!
THey claim that the D2X will now easily compare with the resolution and quality of the medium format film cameras and that within a few years, the word 'film' will be extinct...I have my doubts but only time will tell.
I wish I was able to give you a more technically minded review of the camera, but as I have said - time was indeed limited...but at first glance, to say I was impressed would be an understatement, my cheeks are sore from grinning so much, and no, I was not once in front of the camera being asked or prompted to 'smile'. Watch this space for some images that I took today of our acting/model bridal couple.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:38 pm

Geoff,
What lens do they have in the workshop today?
I saw a 12-24, a 17-55Dx and coupa more, I've gone upstair and lurked you guys in the training room but did not see many Nikon gems.
Any of 85/1.4, 28/1.4 or fast lens?
perhaps they only want to show you mostly the Dx lenses.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby JordanP on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:39 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Onyx wrote:What that in work terms Craig - 1 wedding, 3 album sales, etc.?! ;) it will pay for itself in no time...

Onyx,
You convince people to buy the D2x while you + Poon have no stock to supply, giving me more pressure :shock:
I have so many people asked/ emailed me the availibilty of D2x stock in the last couple days.
Am I giving up on you? :lol:

Don't worry Birdy I won't cause you any pressure ... (hehehe) if I could have one by the end of the week would be fine :D . No, I think I will let a few people try and break it first and see how it goes. Just don't let me touch one like Geoff did, must resist lust.

Onyx, - 'bout 6-9 weddings up here on the north coast NSW. .... but in Sydney 3-5 should do it :)
Craig
JordanP

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:44 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Geoff,
What lens do they have in the workshop today?
I saw a 12-24, a 17-55Dx and coupa more, I've gone upstair and lurked you guys in the training room but did not see many Nikon gems.
Any of 85/1.4, 28/1.4 or fast lens?
perhaps they only want to show you mostly the Dx lenses.

Hi Birdy - they had the 12-24DX on one of the D2X's (the one I had)and on the other was a 28mm 1.4 (I think)...I kept my hands firmly on the camera I had. The lecturer had a Canon Mark 1D (I think) with a 17-55 or some equivalant. They had no other lenses out for show, your place is SOOO much better to play with stuff...I think you will need crowd control when you get the D2X :) at future meets hehehe. :o
Geoff

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:53 pm

I forgot to mention that a few of the photos suggested that I ask to 'borrow' the camera for a major event I am shooting on Thursday night, I had worked up the courage only to be informed (before I asked thankfully) that the cameras were about to be couriered to Melbourne for the GP. Oh to be that courier!! :) Hehehehe.

All in all it was a very informative day for anyone wanting to get into wedding/portrait photography - the $249 was (for me) well spent. It was mainly focusing (pun intended) on the sale and promotion of your photographs.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:59 pm

Geoff wrote:I forgot to mention that a few of the photos suggested that I ask to 'borrow' the camera for a major event I am shooting on Thursday night, I had worked up the courage only to be informed (before I asked thankfully) that the cameras were about to be couriered to Melbourne for the GP. Oh to be that courier!! :) Hehehehe.

All in all it was a very informative day for anyone wanting to get into wedding/portrait photography - the $249 was (for me) well spent. It was mainly focusing (pun intended) on the sale and promotion of your photographs.

Geoff.

I knew few guys came from HKG and the US with the D2x at the GP1, few sportshooters will be armed with this baby also. Not surprised me at all, but I don't think they loan you the D2x this time, perhaps next year when the stock of the D2x flows in the market.
Birddog114
birddog114

D2x Trial Images from today with Nikor 12-24DX .

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Here are a few images that I took today (with the 12-24DX) not an ideal wedding lens, but here I went with what I had:

These were shot in FINE JPEG. PS - Craig - please note - these are all in portrait mode! :) Proud?
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:41 pm

nice!

very clean
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Geoff, think you are the first guy on this board to take a shot with a D2X. Congratulations :wink:
Glen

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Thanx Glen - I was somewhat nervous with this baby in my hands :)
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:01 pm

Very nice shots and nice camera which you had in your hand today!
I should bring my D2h this moning with the use of PS changing the h to x and we swap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:06 pm

I like your thinking Birdy, I like it a lot :P
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:17 pm

Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:23 pm

Geoff,
Did they tell you how much is the total cost of hiring models and set up today at the seminar? Your guess?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:25 pm

No Birdy - they didn't but I know they were not happy at all about the price they had to pay. I can find out if you like?

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:28 pm

Geoff wrote:No Birdy - they didn't but I know they were not happy at all about the price they had to pay. I can find out if you like?

Geoff.

The agent, who provided the service, charged them all $3.5K for few hours, including all dress, clothing, makeup etc....
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:16 pm

WHOA! Are you serious? Goodness!?! Bel and I would have done it for half the price, then there's the problem of me not getting to play with the D2X :)
Geoff

Re: D2x Trial Images from today with Nikor 12-24DX .

Postby JordanP on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:22 pm

Geoff wrote:Here are a few images that I took today (with the 12-24DX) not an ideal wedding lens, but here I went with what I had:

....snip....
These were shot in FINE JPEG. PS - Craig - please note - these are all in portrait mode! :) Proud?

Proud mate .... nah, bloody exstatic !!!

Top job :)
Craig
JordanP

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Any D70Users going to the F1GP interested in getting a D2X?
It will involve a bit of muscle to get them.
However some very fast getaway cars are onsite.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:15 am

kipper wrote:Any D70Users going to the F1GP interested in getting a D2X?
It will involve a bit of muscle to get them.
However some very fast getaway cars are onsite.

Kipper,
The D2x is not available in quantity in Australia, Maxwell phones rang for the last few days non stop, same as the number of emails and telephone call of my side, the first shipment is very limited to Australian customers, same as elsewhere in the world, mostly for NPS or very big media firm as Fairfax, AP, etc... and they got it as evaluation product from Nikon, especially at the GP1, some others will fly in with their D2x and will be at the Press stand.
The next shipment of D2x to Australian customer is end of this week or mid of this month, supplies quantity is not coping with the demand, so if you're looking one from Maxwell, to be safe to say: June - August 05.
Prices are not so good atm, everyone has stock of it, try to take advantage of new release and lack of stock, so the premium jumps up at least US$1k based on the RRP price.
Save up your buck if you seriously want one!
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Information