D70 production stopped!

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D70 production stopped!

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:22 pm

Just read the following on DPreview:

There are several different reports on Japanese Nikon users' community on the web, saying that Nikon informed their Japanese dealers that D70 production has stopped. The dealers are no longer receiving D70.

The D70s , which more likely has 8M pixel sensor, will be announced next week at Photo Imaging Expo 2005 in Tokyo, Japan. It begins on 17th JST.

I wonder if this rumour is true :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:23 pm

Chris

According to my inside spy. The rumour is 100% correct. Part of playing catch up to the new Canon model.
Last edited by stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:23 pm

surely they will not call it a D70s....
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:24 pm

How do you say D90?
Peter
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:25 pm

It's confirmed at the mini meet last week!
And all parts + components of the D70 will be no longer produced after Aug. 05
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:26 pm

New Price of D70 will be available next week or after Easter holiday, further price drop! Stay tuned.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Any idea when the new model might be available?
cyanide

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:31 pm

cyanide wrote:Any idea when the new model might be available?

Can play it in your hands? Dec 05 or Jan 06.
No stock of the D2x up to date since it was announced last Sept-Oct 04.
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:40 pm

Birddog114 wrote:It's confirmed at the mini meet last week!

Birdy, will that impact on Nikon's ability to repair/maintain a D70? There are hundreds of thousands of them around the world, you would think they would provide ongoing support.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:40 pm

They'd probably play for either a US summer (June / July / August) date or a Christmas date.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:43 pm

They must get it out fast otherwise the new C@non will pull the sales - not for us tho’ we can wait :D
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby MCWB on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Can play it in your hands? Dec 05 or Jan 06.

Surely not that late? I don't think they'd stop D70 production, leaving their dealers with no stock, and have nothing to replace it with? Having no competition for the 350D is worse than competing with the D70 I'd have thought...
MCWB

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:45 pm

Greg B wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:It's confirmed at the mini meet last week!

Birdy, will that impact on Nikon's ability to repair/maintain a D70? There are hundreds of thousands of them around the world, you would think they would provide ongoing support.

That what I mentioned in one of CD's posts previously.
12 months after August, and it's depend of what parts, what wrong with the D70, some repair is not economical, the expectancy life of the DSLR is around 2-3 years and D70 is now in half way thru it. If people has the bad sample then time to upgrade same as PC.
Cost to replace a CCD + other parts + labour in D1X is over $3k, will you go for it or you'll buy the new D2x instead of? and waiting time is 8 weeks.
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 pm

indeed...

Having no D70 and no D70-replacement in stock would be disaster!

No... I think whatever comes will come QUICK!

(well I hope... for Nikkon's sake)

Lets hope they announce some new lenses at the same time!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:48 pm

MHD wrote:
Lets hope they announce some new lenses at the same time!

MHD,
It won't help :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:48 pm

They'll probably have their own "expo" in the coming months... it wouldn't be the first time that a company has skipped major announcements at the industry standard to hold their own equivalent.
Nnnnsic

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:50 pm

It's time to think to put aside few buck a week in your money box for a new body :wink: once it's available.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 pm

This makes me laugh, as well as owning a few film cameras, I just realised I also own a disposable camera, it's called the D70.

I must say I am saddened to learn of Nikon's view of camera life expectancy, I still have my mothers FG and I know a lot of people have and use old F series. It means if I buy a D2X for $6k and it last 3 years before it dies, is retired etc, it costs me $40 pw irrespective of if I am shooting with it or not. Seemed a bit cheaper when I planned to amortise it over 5 or 10 years. The way of the world and technology these days. :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:They'll probably have their own "expo" in the coming months... it wouldn't be the first time that a company has skipped major announcements at the industry standard to hold their own equivalent.

This Nikon mentioned last year at PMA:
"Nikon will have its year in 2005 and their products won't take any major events as announcement date of its new products" and I mentioned before in March Photo Expo in Tokyo.
I have an invitation + 3 days accomodation, should I go?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:56 pm

Birddog, with free accomodation could be a nice trip for you and Tran. :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:58 pm

Glen wrote:This makes me laugh, as well as owning a few film cameras, I just realised I also own a disposable camera, it's called the D70.

I must say I am saddened to learn of Nikon's view of camera life expectancy, I still have my mothers FG and I know a lot of people have and use old F series. It means if I buy a D2X for $6k and it last 3 years before it dies, is retired etc, it costs me $40 pw irrespective of if I am shooting with it or not. Seemed a bit cheaper when I planned to amortise it over 5 or 10 years. The way of the world and technology these days. :wink:

Glen,
New techno today are nothing last for than 3 years, if it's survived than it's an antique or collectible item or a paperweight.
Same as new model car, PC, TV, fridge even girl friend :lol: 3 years after you met your new GF, she'll be getting older but still useable :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:00 pm

Glen wrote:Birddog, with free accomodation could be a nice trip for you and Tran. :wink:

Bastard Nikon! only single bed at the hotel and single seat in the aircraft.

Gary,
I nominated one of our "best" customer is our rep for the show, and he's leaving tonight on a Qantas flight.
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:03 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I have an invitation + 3 days accomodation, should I go?

I'll go if you can't. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:04 pm

I know it's silly, but as much as I was expecting (well, at least prepared for) a new model sometime soon-ish, call me selfish, but I'd be sorta glad if it wasn't available for a little while yet, seeing as I only just bought my D70... a price drop I can cop on the chin, I suppose, but I'd prefer to not be able to rue the timing of the purchase (ie, "If only I'd waited just a couple of weeks...." sort of thing) :?

As I said, it's stupid, I know. :oops: I am very happy with my D70 and I think I got a decent price anyway, so... all good I suppose. Bring on the new and better models - the more progress, the more options I have for upgrades in the future... but I had hoped to get longer than 18 months out of my D70!!! :cry: (ie the potential repair/spare parts shortage issues...)

Guess I wasn't quite ready for the reality of the short-life dSLR....
cyanide

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:07 pm

gstark wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:I have an invitation + 3 days accomodation, should I go?

I'll go if you can't. :)

Gary,
I nominated one of our "best" customer is our rep for the show, and he's leaving tonight on a Qantas flight.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Glen wrote:This makes me laugh, as well as owning a few film cameras, I just realised I also own a disposable camera, it's called the D70.

It's still the same camera Glen... There's nothing to say that it's going to conk out after 3 years... If you look after it, it should last longer than that... If the D70 is good enough to print A3 prints now, why would you need to upgrade? The electronics in my Canon A1 still work and they are at least 20 years old...
I hope that Nikon are sensible about this and make a large amount of spares available... If they don't then their brand loyalty may suffer...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:11 pm

cyanide wrote:I know it's silly, but as much as I was expecting (well, at least prepared for) a new model sometime soon-ish, call me selfish, but I'd be sorta glad if it wasn't available for a little while yet, seeing as I only just bought my D70... a price drop I can cop on the chin, I suppose, but I'd prefer to not be able to rue the timing of the purchase (ie, "If only I'd waited just a couple of weeks...." sort of thing) :?

As I said, it's stupid, I know. :oops: I am very happy with my D70 and I think I got a decent price anyway, so... all good I suppose. Bring on the new and better models - the more progress, the more options I have for upgrades in the future... but I had hoped to get longer than 18 months out of my D70!!! :cry: (ie the potential repair/spare parts shortage issues...)

Guess I wasn't quite ready for the reality of the short-life dSLR....

cyanide,
How long do you expect the life of the DSLR? a PC? a mobile phone?
3 years it's a quite long life for those. Does anyone in this board still using the mobile phone handset 3 years ago? or anyone can repair it if it failed yesterday? same as where can I find a new replacement mobo of a PC with the first Pentium 266?
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:13 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I nominated one of our "best" customer is our rep for the show, and he's leaving tonight on a Qantas flight.

I hope he enjoys my seat. :)

Seriously, I'm certainly interested in hearing the announcements that will be made.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 pm

leek wrote:

It's still the same camera Glen... There's nothing to say that it's going to conk out after 3 years... If you look after it, it should last longer than that... If the D70 is good enough to print A3 prints now, why would you need to upgrade? The electronics in my Canon A1 still work and they are at least 20 years old...
I hope that Nikon are sensible about this and make a large amount of spares available... If they don't then their brand loyalty may suffer...

Leek,
same as Canon guy, they all have replacement parts but with the limitation and its price is steep, in another words "not economical to repair" if you're bad luck having a bad sample, then what do you think?
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Something to bear in mind when rueing the demise of the D70 is one of the reasons we have dSLRs is the removable lenses. You're body may be old and clapped out (yes I realise the pun) but the lens will still be just as sweet on the new camera body you get whenever you replace the D70 (except maybe if sensor size changes DX lens will be a prob). After all, we spend more on glass than body. This is one of the reasons I'm happy to pay more than the camera for a lens - longer life.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Yes! You're right stubbsy, glasses are more important and costly than the body, one set of glasses can still last several bodies in the years to come.
:lol: So buy the pro grade! don't buy the consumer grade! is it right? :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:31 pm

Something to bear in mind when rueing the demise of the D70 is one of the reasons we have dSLRs is the removable lenses. You're body may be old and clapped out (yes I realise the pun) but the lens will still be just as sweet on the new camera body you get whenever you replace the D70 (except maybe if sensor size changes DX lens will be a prob). After all, we spend more on glass than body. This is one of the reasons I'm happy to pay more than the camera for a lens - longer life.

Oh dear, shock new announcement. Nikon announce that the new successor to the D70 will have a new lens mount replacing the old F-Mount. :(
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby dooda on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm

I was honestly planning on shooting with the D70 for the next ten years. THere's no way I can justify 2k ish every three years or so. Corporations are so devilish. They're no better than a used car dealer. In the days of film (well they aren't finished yet) there wasn't much a camera maker could do except tinker with the body a little bit with bells and whistles. The principal of photography never changed: The film was always the same, and the the body connected the film to the lens.

Now they have sensor sizes, different storage formats, evolving software etc, they have you by the balls. Even if I tried to nurse my D70 along for 10 years, who knows if it will even be compatible with my computer or will be able to use flashcards etc? all so that the corporations can force me to spend on their profit. I went with Nikon because of product integrity...but it doesn't seem to matter anymore because everything is forced into being obsolete.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:47 pm

kipper wrote:Oh dear, shock new announcement. Nikon announce that the new successor to the D70 will have a new lens mount replacing the old F-Mount. :(

kipper you got it wrong. They're bringing out a 70-500 VR SWM etc etc to replace the 70-200 VR and the price has dropped by $500. That's why the 70-200's have been in short supply :twisted:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Bang goes the idea of saving $50pw for some macro lenses. Guess it will be contributing to an upgrade.

Whats the bet 1.5-2yrs they'll release a 10mp, and then 1.5-2yrs after that a 12mp.
Last edited by kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby MCWB on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:54 pm

Here's what the D70s looks like:

:lol: Shamelessly ripped from DPReview
MCWB

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:55 pm

Well it starts in 2 days so we should all know very shortly what is coming - not long to wait :roll:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:02 pm

dooda,
You can have the d70 for 50 years, no one will complaint on that! :wink:

MCWB,
Spot on! that show how 's the D70-s look like in the next few days.

Chris,
I'm happy with whatever is the outcome and well prepared for it.
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:11 pm

Leek fair call, but my camera has already done one trip to Maxwells and spares were required. I used to own a national fax repairer, we probably had 3,000 old faxes between all the offices which we would canibalise for spares as the manufactures often didn't carry them for 3 year old machines. Once we had taken say the sensor out of all the D70's we had, tough luck for the next D70 with a faulty sensor. I like quality and built to last, not frequent replacement. Is my age showing?

I will just reoriantate my brain, or maybe buy an F6 to put on my mantle piece and admire, that way it will never break down :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:16 pm

Glen,
The F6 can't beat the F5 in film and robust, buy the F5 is more recommended! or jump ship :lol: to the drebel :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:42 pm

Birddog, Dribble will probably only keep spares for 2 years, even more depressing than our news. Canon changes models too quick for most. :wink:
Glen

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:06 pm

Birddog114 wrote:cyanide,
How long do you expect the life of the DSLR? a PC? a mobile phone?
3 years it's a quite long life for those. Does anyone in this board still using the mobile phone handset 3 years ago? or anyone can repair it if it failed yesterday? same as where can I find a new replacement mobo of a PC with the first Pentium 266?

Actually, I use a mobile phone that is about 10 years old.... :D But I realise that if I needed to repair it, it might not be an easy thing to do... :D

And PCs are at least partly upgradeable (replace the motherboard; upgrade the RAM etc)...

But yes, I do realise that the lifespan of dSLRs are shorter than older film SLRs... and I would probably be reasonably happy with about three years (from purchase)... I guess I'll just have to wait and see. This (the D70) was still a big purchase for me (not so much the lenses, as I can at least hope that the F-mount continues and they remain compatible with future bodies) and I am not lamenting progress in technology - not at all! - but I just hope that repairs are still available for quite a number of years yet... that's all. :)

Edit: actually, I have no idea how old my phone is - probably more like 6 yrs...? But still old!
cyanide

Postby Geoff Marland on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:12 pm

I wish I hadn't just logged on and read this news. I've only had my D70 a month and had to convince my better half that we could afford it. Can't see her agreeing to a new camera again so soon :cry:

Seriously though unless some major problem develops I think I'm going to be satisfied with my new toy for a while yet. :lol:
Geoff M

D80, 18-200VR lens, D70 and 18-70 kit lens , F80 and SB800
Geoff Marland

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:12 pm

Off-topic (sort of), what phone is it? I'm curious now...
Nnnnsic

Postby owen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:14 pm

I feel kinda relieved that I have 2 years and 9 months left on my warranty. If something goes bad in a year or two then I could end up with a new camera! Until then I'm going to continue using and enjoying my D70, it's an awesome tool.

If the difference is only megapixels, remember the difference between 6 & 8 megapixels is only about 500 pixels on the long side and 300 on the short side... not much at all.
owen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:19 pm

owen wrote:I feel kinda relieved that I have 2 years and 9 months left on my warranty. If something goes bad in a year or two then I could end up with a new camera! Until then I'm going to continue using and enjoying my D70, it's an awesome tool.

If the difference is only megapixels, remember the difference between 6 & 8 megapixels is only about 500 pixels on the long side and 300 on the short side... not much at all.

Owen,
hehehehe,
Not only the MP but :lol: can take B&W CF card :lol: ISO 10 :lol: MLU and vertical grip as optional. :lol: MP3 :lol: HDTV tuner :lol:

Cyanide,
What mobile phone you still use? an analogue one? S.Korea still have the analogue system?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:20 pm

I think we have to have some perspective here, D70users!

1. The inevitable evolution of electronics will continue, despite any objections we may have.
    2. If (when) there is a new model that supersedes the D70, that doesn't immediately invalidate our camera. We purchased ours at the time when we thought it was the best camera for us.
    3. Nikons are strong beasts. I expect my D70 to run for some time yet.
    4. I'm sure parts support will continue for a reasonable time.
    5. Imagine how good the next one will be!

I don't think we should suck our collective thumbs about this - technology is exciting! :)
the foto fanatic

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:20 pm

This is exactly why I asked Birddy. :)

As far as I was aware, South Korea does fairly well in the digital mobile phone market...
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:24 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Off-topic (sort of), what phone is it? I'm curious now...

Probably a tele-phone.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

LOL - I should clarify, this is my old Australian phone, so for the past couple of years I have only used it as a daily alarm clock (it has a snooze function - a necessity for me!!) and on trips home... it's not the one I use here in Korea, which is a you-beaut fancy-pants Samsung one.

It is a bulletproof Ericsson... the model number is almost totally scratched off, but I think it's a T285?? It has even been dropped in the backyard swimming pool (saltwater) and dried out with a hairdryer... never mised a beat. Apart from the flip being quite sensitive (ie it flips open at the slightest bump), it is just like a bought one.

It truly is a freak of nature, or technology, or whatever... :lol:
cyanide

Next

Return to Information