D70 production stopped!

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:52 pm

Upon seeing this thread title, I thought the first of April had come two weeks early. But alas, it seems not.

So it's true - beginning with the D2Hs, Nikon has sadly adopted Canon style product cycles. I always thought they would persevere with better products that stood the test of time - 7 year cycles for the F series film bodies and seemingly 4 years for digitals.

Hey, this is made me all the more glad to have been an early adopter of the D70. I believe I have maximised use out of mine, couldn't be happier with what it has delivered me. Of course, it will inevitably continue to be of good service for years to come - but I'm one of those lemmings that will probably 'upgrade' to the latest fad. Like Big Kev, I'm excited! :D
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Onyx,
Sorry to O/T and hijack!
You've got mail.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:13 pm

Onyx wrote:Upon seeing this thread title, I thought the first of April had come two weeks early. But alas, it seems not.

So it's true - beginning with the D2Hs, Nikon has sadly adopted Canon style product cycles. I always thought they would persevere with better products that stood the test of time - 7 year cycles for the F series film bodies and seemingly 4 years for digitals.

Hey, this is made me all the more glad to have been an early adopter of the D70. I believe I have maximised use out of mine, couldn't be happier with what it has delivered me. Of course, it will inevitably continue to be of good service for years to come - but I'm one of those lemmings that will probably 'upgrade' to the latest fad. Like Big Kev, I'm excited! :D

The good side of playing around with the new released product when it was released, by the end of its life, you won't be sad! and more happy to try a new ones.

On the other side of warranty, Nikon always has parts in stock for the next 18 months after the product stopped in their production line. Time will dried out all their reserved stocks and then it's problems for get something fixed or replacement, I got a Canon P&S (film) in 1999, after 12 months warranty, it failed, send back to Canon, it was the PCB, the cost of replace it, I can buy a new one in digital with high MP instead of.

The story is the same to our D70/D100/ D2h/ D2Hs or D2x, these beasts one day will turn into paperweights, collectible items etc...
So be prepared.
Last edited by birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:59 pm

Onyx and Birddog, just a thought from Onyx's post yesterday re notebooks, when do you guys (or anyone else for that matter) believe is the best time to buy a digital Nikon SLR? The day they come out? After the first price drop? Ten minutes before they are discontinued, cheap with all the bugs ironed out? Any other thoughts? Would be interested to hear what all think.
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Glen - after they release firmware 1.01. ;)

This strikes right at the heart of the issue from that other thread re: notebooks. When manufacturers offer cashback inccentives, it's usually a sign of stock clearing. When it's a price drop at the retail level, it's a step to remain competitive, a reaction to market pressures IMHO.
Onyx

Postby rokkstar on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:10 pm

I guess that with Moores Law for computing and the same happening with digital Photography the old Maxim holds true:

It's never a good time to buy a computer (or a digital camera)

I'll be using mine for a long while yet (probably as a back up though :wink: )
rokkstar

Postby nigels on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Hello,

When is that 70-500 lens coming out

Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:27 pm

Nige, Birddy already has a prototype in his private collection, he is upgrading the VR firmware presently :wink:

Rokkstar, hope you are right and everything doubles, 12.4mp and 6fps would be nice (and for the same price, I think under Moore's Law?)
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Glen wrote:Nige, Birddy already has a prototype in his private collection, he is upgrading the VR firmware presently :wink:

Rokkstar, hope you are right and everything doubles, 12.4mp and 6fps would be nice (and for the same price, I think under Moore's Law?)

Plus MLU would be very welcome :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Link on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:30 pm

Hum... This thread gives an interesting insight of what it must feel like to be a Canon customer facing constant upgrades! :lol: Even if the D70s had iso 100, 8mp or 10mp, bigger buffer, etc does that make it worth upgrading?

In my case, definitely not.

If and when that "D70s" comes out, I'd think it's mainly targeted at people buying their first DSLR, right in competition with Canon 350D (the 8mp catch).

If I wanted to upgrade (and considering my budget restrictions), I'll probably be going for a used D2H body... Stronger body and fast accurate AF in low light, I doubt any D70sssss will deliver that anytime soon!

Link.
Link

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:42 pm

Atleast one things for sure. I know my ordered Gitzo tripod won't be replaced next year by an 8MP model.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby boxerboy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:47 pm

Oh well. I suppose that's the end of the forum.

Thanks and goodnight.

:lol:
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:49 pm

kipper wrote:Atleast one things for sure. I know my ordered Gitzo tripod won't be replaced next year by an 8MP model.

You may not know, new model release soon after your Gitzo arrived :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby johndec on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 pm

boxerboy wrote:Oh well. I suppose that's the end of the forum.

Thanks and goodnight.

No boxerboy, it's only the beginning..... :D

Our physic admins have already factored in this upheaval. Bigger and better things lie ahead... 8)
johndec

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:03 pm

Link wrote:I'll probably be going for a used D2H body... Stronger body and fast accurate AF in low light, I doubt any D70sssss will deliver that anytime soon!

Link.

Who know? it may be new Nikon's strategies and likely it'll be heading that way not too far! what are you gonna to do? sitback and play with the old box while everyone around you have new toys :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do. As long as the D70 still works.
Unless of course they come out with a model that interfaces with my brain and tells me how to compose better pictures. :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:51 pm

boxerboy wrote:Oh well. I suppose that's the end of the forum.

Thanks and goodnight.

Well there is this place called DSLRUsers.com that you might want to try...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby christiand on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:52 pm

Hi Phillipb,

I'm going to join in with simply continuing to use the D70 until it dies and it cannot be repared and hopefully then needs to be replaced with a different model under extended warranty when no more parts are available.
The D70 if not dead or broken will continue to produce the same quality of photos that it does now. This means in a few years time the photos aren't any worse all over sudden.
Just because new models are being released doesn't mean that the D70 is dead and needs replacement.
I'm very sensitive in that matter and I do not ignore progress, however for that matter I do not replace my TV, HiFi, car, house, mate, spouse, friend, daughter, pet, PC, oven, kitchen, bathroom ... every two years !
If someone wants to worship the "golden calf" of digital evolution, that's fine. Please do so and be happy.

Enough said.
Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:54 pm

cyanide wrote:It is a bulletproof Ericsson... the model number is almost totally scratched off, but I think it's a T285?? It has even been dropped in the backyard swimming pool (saltwater) and dried out with a hairdryer... never mised a beat. Apart from the flip being quite sensitive (ie it flips open at the slightest bump), it is just like a bought one.

It truly is a freak of nature, or technology, or whatever... :lol:

Being someone who seems stuck with knowing mobile phones quite well, I'm gonna take a stab that you have either the R310s or the R250 Pro.

This is the R310s:

This is the R250 Pro:

And yes... I'm well aware this is off-topic. :)
Nnnnsic

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:55 pm

christiand, I'm actually hoping to factor in retardedness into my plan. What I'm thinking is selling on eBay and hoping for some idiot to pay top $ for it and then maybe chip in some cash to upgrade.

However that will only be if the new model not only includes 8mp but also faster fps and better buffering/write to cf.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:03 pm

Nnnnsic:

Firstly, just noticed the new Title - FUDmin, very good. :lol:

Secondly - sorry, no, it's not that one... it's a really quite small, thin, flip-style, with a stubby antenna... :? Had a quick google and couldn't find any references or pics... has been wiped from the internet memory, it's that old...? hehehe
cyanide

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 pm

That could be any of the following: T10, T20, T28, T29, T39, T18, and GF788.

That said, we've got two of those. :)

I found it funny a few months ago while I was retiring my Siemens S55 that the battery on my old T20s still had charge even when it had been sitting in a drawer for over a year without being plugged in once.
Nnnnsic

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 pm

Ah, yes, sorry - here it is - it seems it is a T28S.

Pics here:

http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/Eric ... T28s.shtml

It seems it is only 6 years old, too... but is still going strong - ten is still a possibility, lol.
cyanide

Postby MATT on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Ebay time ,

Dont be left behind get on the DSLR bus now!!

Canon rubbish not to your liking???

Want a great camera at a great price???

Well get in now before its to late,

We have one
d70 Nikons champion Digital SLr camera, with a HUGE 6 MegaPixel

Order now any you will get FREE thats right FREE
70-300g lens great for zooming in on the neighbours
28-80 for that walk around lens thats not to heavy

What more could you want??
The Price-------- all for $2500
or 2 payment option of $1500 over 2 days

Wait you want more for the first caller a free 1 gig yes that right a 1gigabyte memory card So big thats all you'll ever need.

Call now 1800 SUCKER

Dont let this chance Pass

Note : cash and Direct deposit incure 4% surcharge price does not include $150 Postage and Handling
MATT

Postby Catcha on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:25 pm

MATT wrote:Ebay time ,

Dont be left behind get on the DSLR bus now!!

Canon rubbish not to your liking???

Want a great camera at a great price???

Well get in now before its to late,

We have one
d70 Nikons champion Digital SLr camera, with a HUGE 6 MegaPixel

Order now any you will get FREE thats right FREE
70-300g lens great for zooming in on the neighbours
28-80 for that walk around lens thats not to heavy

What more could you want??
The Price-------- all for $2500
or 2 payment option of $1500 over 2 days

Wait you want more for the first caller a free 1 gig yes that right a 1gigabyte memory card So big thats all you'll ever need.

Call now 1800 SUCKER

Dont let this chance Pass

Note : cash and Direct deposit incure 4% surcharge price does not include $150 Postage and Handling

Thats pretty tempting, how much is postage :D
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby digitor on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:27 pm

Nikon built a D70-specific factory for about 18 months use - almost incredible. Presumably, with a change of tooling, the factory can build the new model, whatever that is! I wonder how many of the new parts will be common with the old D70?

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:30 pm

I hope kipper gets the right Gitzo because I have heard from a HK source that the very latest tripods are made of bamboo and come with a 25kg counterweight :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby bago100 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:34 pm

Interesting that the D70 is to be discontinued soon. Of course, everyone knew that a replacement model would eventually be announced.

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that the Trade Practices Act has provisions ensure that manufacturers continue to provide parts and service for their products for a reasonable time after a product is withdrawn from the market.

Given the high purchase value and implied quality of the D70 as taken from Nikon literature, it would probably be reasonable to expect service and parts to be available for at least 3 years from date of discontinuance.

For those who like to read text that is bound to give them a headache, one of the relevent sections of the act is here

http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pastea ... 002970.htm

It makes interesting reading all the same.

So folks, don't worry too much. Nikon will support the repair and servicing of your D70 for at least a couple of years hence.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Catcha on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:19 pm

hmm so with a new model lurking around next year and the D70 being discontinued, what to do ? still haven't got my D70 as yet, still looking at least 2 months before I can commit to one, but this changes things a bit I guess, only time will tell. I just sit back and enjoy other people photo's in the meantime and learn the theory side of things :D
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby kipper on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:23 pm

Personally while it seems a long time I'd wait until there are some sort of specs out on the model then commit. I'd be really interested to see what they have to offer besides the extra 2mp.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Catcha on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:52 pm

kipper wrote:Personally while it seems a long time I'd wait until there are some sort of specs out on the model then commit. I'd be really interested to see what they have to offer besides the extra 2mp.

Yep in the meantime, hey you still go more shots of the F1 ??? I personally think your shots are pretty damn good hey..post some more up :wink:
Ben Yu

Catcha

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:48 am

Digitor,
The factory which Nikon has in Thailand is not solely built for manufacturing the D70, they manufacture other Nikon stuff there as well and the D70 manufacturing line is just 1/10 of the factory.

Bago100 and others,
Yes Nikon still maintain, repair or having replacement parts for the D70 in such a certain period greater than 3 years after the D70 gone into history, but as I mentioned in earlier of this thread, stocks will be dried out by the time goes and while the D70 is no longer in production, the cost of repair or replacement parts ain't cheap or it's not to far or similar to the price of the new released model, I repeated the example of the replacement CCD on the D1x is well over 3K (including all materials, labour, etc...) with 3k repair bill, are you going to repair it or buy the new D2Hs or D2x? That how the economy lives. Same as the new incident of D100, its shutter lease and meter died after 19 months of use (not mine) and the estimated bill I saw was AU$1200.00. What's your thought?.
Another example: you have a 2YO IBM lappy, the screen died, to replace the screen is similar to but a new lappy with more high end stuff, to get anew replacement battery for it cost over $300.00 RRP, a portion of a new notebook with 2K tag.
These matters are nothing Fair Trading can do or challenge!

Catcha,
You can sit back and enjoying lurking the forum for at least another 8-9 months before you can see the new Dxxx on the shelf or can possess it in your hand, then another new release for the 06, then sitback and wait for 07, never ending!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:05 am

Catcha would you believe I was plagued with problems lastnight? :)

First smugmug decides to go into maintenance mode.
Then went to use Nikon Capture, "sorry your trial has ended".
So I went to bed instead.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

NEWS FLASH!

Postby Matt. K on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:11 am

NIKON HAS CONFIRMED THE REPLACEMENT MODEL FOR THE D70 WILL HAVE AUTO COMPOSITION. THE SHUTTER WILL NOT FILE UNTIL ALL THE CRITICAL COMPOSITIONAL ELEMENTS ARE ALIGNED.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: NEWS FLASH!

Postby stubbsy on Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:07 am

Matt. K wrote:NIKON HAS CONFIRMED THE REPLACEMENT MODEL FOR THE D70 WILL HAVE AUTO COMPOSITION. THE SHUTTER WILL NOT FILE UNTIL ALL THE CRITICAL COMPOSITIONAL ELEMENTS ARE ALIGNED.

And that would be a good thing :?:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Exit plan

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:36 pm

So with all of this I wonder is it time to sell up the D70? How much would one be worth second hand these days with an SB-800?

Would probably lose out in the order of hundreds of dollars given the rebates and price drops that are going on at the moment.
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby Catcha on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Catcha,
You can sit back and enjoying lurking the forum for at least another 8-9 months before you can see the new Dxxx on the shelf or can possess it in your hand, then another new release for the 06, then sitback and wait for 07, never ending

Your right it is never ending, And i Don't think I would be waiting that long, cause there are a few events that I would like to have the D70 in my hand Before I go to these events and my holiday to Melbourne hopefully Sydney in November , hey I can meet up with eveyone :D
Ben Yu

Catcha

Re: NEWS FLASH!

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:52 pm

Matt. K wrote:NIKON HAS CONFIRMED THE REPLACEMENT MODEL FOR THE D70 WILL HAVE AUTO COMPOSITION. THE SHUTTER WILL NOT FILE UNTIL ALL THE CRITICAL COMPOSITIONAL ELEMENTS ARE ALIGNED.

Complete with a Neat-And-In-The-Middle switch just below the multi-selector on the rear of the body too.

If gridlines are turned on, I've heard that it will also automatically level the horizon for you!

Talk about cool features!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Exit plan

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Rusty W. Griswald wrote:So with all of this I wonder is it time to sell up the D70? How much would one be worth second hand these days with an SB-800?

Would probably lose out in the order of hundreds of dollars given the rebates and price drops that are going on at the moment.

You would be the big loser if you did this, 'cos you'd be selling a perfectly good and functional camera.

So, no, don't sell it. Not until you see compelling reasons to upgrade.

The rumours and titbits I've heard don't amount to a hill of beans thus far.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:39 pm

gstark wrote:You would be the big loser if you did this, 'cos you'd be selling a perfectly good and functional camera.

A BIG loser! Just had a look on the trading post and found an add for a $1000 D70 with no lens or $1750 with Kit lens and SB-800.

Given what I paid around 70 days ago, it looks like I would lose around $1000 :-( What next, a free D70 with a mobile phone purchase?

That's a staggering loss really.
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby atencati on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:57 pm

The camera speaks for itself, just take a look around this forum; incredible images. The only conceivable reason Nikon would mod the D70 is to fire a shot back at canon. The D70 has always been the superior camera (to the 300).

For me, my D70 will be upgraded only when Nikon puts out a full frame DSLR, probably the next iteration of the D2x, maybe D3? However, I will never lose the 70 until it stops working completely. It will always be a capable camera and a great tool.

I am amazed at how fast dslr users are to jump on the next bandwagon. I don't remember this mentality with film cameras. I never dumped a film slr until I got the 70. Cameras just aren't like computers.

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:03 pm

Rusty W. Griswald wrote:That's a staggering loss really.

Perhaps, but unsurprising.

OTOH, those who may be looking to buy a D70 but are a bit short of the wherewithall to do so, might be interested in perhaps looking at purchasing something like one of those.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Information