Ok Tamron 11-18mm is now listed in Adorama for US$569

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ok Tamron 11-18mm is now listed in Adorama for US$569

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:50 am

Adorma just listed the price for the long waiting WA lens, but don't know if they have stock of it yet, convert to AU$730.00 from US$569.00, Maxwell price will be over AU$1K + GST.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?page ... on%2011-18

Will keep you posted with other sources from overseas

The new Sigma 10-20 perhaps will be nearly US$800.00, my guess only.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:50 am

Onyx?
:)

cant wait to hear what people think of this lens...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby MCWB on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:20 am

Whoa, nice! I'm also keen to see what reviews make of this lens. :)
MCWB

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:21 am

MCWB wrote:Whoa, nice! I'm also keen to see what reviews make of this lens. :)

Want one to write a report :?: Go for it MCWB :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:35 am

That wouldn't be a bad price depending on what the lens is like...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby MCWB on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:13 am

Birddog114 wrote:Want one to write a report :?: Go for it MCWB :wink:

Well I'm certainly not going to splash that much on a lens sight-unseen just to evaluate it. If someone wants to send me one though I'll write a report for sure! :)

77 mm filters too, same as the Sigma 10-20... wonder what the distortion's like at the wide end?
MCWB

Postby Onyx on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:22 pm

:) I'd love to see one pass through these offices to test and give first impressions. However unless someone orders it thru us, I don't think any will show up from the supplier magically. ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Onyx wrote::) I'd love to see one pass through these offices to test and give first impressions. However unless someone orders it thru us, I don't think any will show up from the supplier magically. ;)

Onyx,
Ask them to get me one! email me price first if you can.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:40 pm

Just checked with 'the master', doesn't exist here yet... ;)
Onyx

Postby Hendrix on Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:40 pm

That be a nice ens to have for sure, looking forward on a review

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021 ... 0-20dc.asp

hendrix
"Don't you worry about that"

Hendrix
Hendrix

Postby Neeper on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Why do stuff for you guys in, Australia, cost so much more than for Canadians, Americans, and in Asia???
Neeper

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:36 pm

I think it has something to do with the Howard government, but I'm probably wrong.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:37 pm

Neeper wrote:Why do stuff for you guys in, Australia, cost so much more than for Canadians, Americans, and in Asia???

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cos, No poverty here and poverty there :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:44 pm

Because in the past we have been stupid enough to pay it. But we are now learning, by puchasing overseas ie. lenses and other camera equipment either via Birddog114 or direct. Instead of keeping camera stores in business, we are keeping courier companies busy.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:53 pm

... plus we're a small geographically remote market with high transport costs (and yes, we're also suckers who oftent pay too much)
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:11 pm

stubbsy wrote:... plus we're a small geographically remote market with high transport costs (and yes, we're also suckers who oftent pay too much)

I don't buy the high transport costs argument, Peter.

The cost of shipping of similar products from, say, Japan to Sydney, or to LA, should be fairly similar. Look at the prices we pay fro shipping from Poon as a good example of this.

By way of contrast, and to really see how we are ripped off, check the cost of shipping something from LA to SYD, and then check the cost for the reverse journey.

Neeper, we've been taken to the cleaners for years, and too many people here just lie back and take it, thinking there's nothing that can be done about it. For some high value purchases, it's often worthwhile taking a trip to, for instance, LA, and take a week's vacation. The net cost will be about the same.

Let me give another example. As most here know, Leigh and I went to Melbourne for the F1GP last month. While we were there, Leigh, on a whim, suggested that next year we do Malaysia instead.

On the surface that seems like an almost stupid idea, but here's what I've found out thus far: circuit admission is a tad less than 50% of the cost in Melbourne, and you can buy tix for just the days that you want. In Melbourne, you have to buy a package that covers the full four days admission, even though you may only want to go on the Sunday. The Sepang circuit is a full-time circuit, with covered stands too. Covered race viewing in Melbourne cost an arm and two legs.

Accommodation in Malaysia will be less than 1/3 what we paid in Melbourne, and we were not staying at a particularly expensive hotel in Melbourne.

The only remaining variable is the cost of airfares, and my guess is that with the savings we'll be making elsewhere, Malaysia 2006 looks very likely to happen for us.

And I've not even brought into account yet the fact that we'll be able to do duty free shopping, and seeing a different culture into the bargain.

And just FYI, my understanding is that there are no restrictions as to the lenses that one can use at the circuit!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MHD on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:29 pm

hehe... a good example is Skiing..
The breakeven point is about 1.5 weeks...
ie 1.5 weeks skiing in Canada will cost about the same as 1.5 weeks here.... Airfares included!!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:35 pm

MHD wrote:hehe... a good example is Skiing..
The breakeven point is about 1.5 weeks...
ie 1.5 weeks skiing in Canada will cost about the same as 1.5 weeks here.... Airfares included!!

That why I never want to know about Whitsunday, Hayman Island, Byron Bay etc... even our neighbour countries as Fiji, New Caledonia (Noumea), Tahiti, Cook Island are more affordable than buying local fares + accomodation.

To fly my family of 5 to Orlando, Fla is lot cheaper and more funs than local here, that we had done in the past and will be in the near future.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:42 pm

My friend used to be a bit of a snowboarder and I think he hardly ever bothered to board here......he either used to go to NZ or CA, Whistler.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby MCWB on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:57 pm

gstark wrote:my guess is that with the savings we'll be making elsewhere, Malaysia 2006 looks very likely to happen for us.

Wow, awesome! Might be worth looking at Shanghai too? I'm currently looking at prices for the Belgian GP this year... 200 Euro for 4 day general admission! :shock: Spa would be kickass though. :D
MCWB

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:26 pm

Spa certainly would be great, although the prior Sunday is Monza. :)

I'm still up for a second GP this year, but trying to get Lindy's schedule to comply with reasonable travel dates and the FI schedule is really quite a challenge.

The August-September timefame is looking very good for me, and there are some great fares to be had. But that timeframe doesn't seem to work for her.

Shanghai ... dunno; the timing might be better from Lindy's perspective, but there are two issues - I want to go Europe again, and I want to go to Europe again.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wile_E on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:49 pm

Gary/MCWB - sorry to be bursting your bubble but I thought I'd share this with you.

I checked out getting tickets to Shanghai last year (I happened to be in China then, so thought I'd tag along). Prices were VERY expensive - even more so than what you'd pay in Australia. From memory, ticket prices were around the $USD200 per day mark.

Add this to the fact that Shanghai itself is not exactly a 'cheap' city to stay in (unlike most of the rest of China).
wile_E

Postby MCWB on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:38 pm

US$200 per day... ouch! :shock: Looks like they're a bit cheaper this year though: prices (images mirrored as the site was extremely slow for me this morning). I like the look of Stand D. :)

MCWB

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:49 pm

Thanx, Trent.

Which way do the cars run on this circuit? CW ? I'd like to be looking at Stand E, opposite one end of either of the straights that face it. Whichever way the cars go, look to be opposite them as the brake to come into the corner. Either way, you'd have good views of them going through what looks a a nice few corners.

My guess is that it's CA, and thus a hard left (90) followed by a very long triple apex 270 right hander. So, Stand E, just beyond the second apex, and hopefully somewhat in line with the shorter in-field straight.

And don't you just love the concept of "grass stands" ? Isn't that what we used to call a hill ?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:37 pm

Ah yup, good spotting Gary! Yes, they indeed run clockwise. There doesn't seem to be any way of choosing which part of stand E you're in though (that I can see of, maybe I should get my other half to look at the Chinese).

Edit: there definitely isn't: '3.2 Ticket bookers can choose grandstands but cannot choose seats.'
MCWB

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:30 am

Are they all undercover stands or just H/K?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 am

Darryl,

This diagram suggests only H and K, and that is a minor concern.

I need to remember to ask Birddog about the Optech raincoats. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 am

hehe - I am often a little concerned that some of my posts could be construed as 'thread hijacking'. After reading this thread, I will no longer worry - this HAS to be one of the best hijacks I have ever seen!

:wink: :wink: :wink:
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:48 am

I really can't believe Brabham and Jones aren't undercover. They could atleast have one stand at the F1GP in Oz that is undercover.

It's quite true what you were saying about getting ripped off. I've hired a car for 4 days from Thrify for the weekend so I can go out and try to take some photos while it's nice. I payed $260 for 4 days for a compact 3 door hatchback with premium protection (reduces excess to about $250) so I don't get charged an arm and a leg if I have an accident (usually around $2000 excessive without this). In the UK when I was there at Christmas I payed $250 for a week for a Nissan Almera which is a 4 door station wagon with an excess of about $600 (could of waivered the excess but my travel insurance covered any accidents). I just did a quote for how much it would cost me to hire a Toyota Camry Wagon for a week with premium protection and it would cost $660. That's almost 3 times the amount of what I'd pay in the UK for car hire!
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby dooda on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:52 am

Sheepie,

Yup, definitely a hijacking for the books. Personally, I would feel honored if one of my threads were fully hijacked.

Perhaps someone can help me. I've never understood the idea of watching cars race (I assume this is what you're talking about). I love demolition derbies, tons of action, explosions etc, but car racing just doesn't do it for me. I'm not criticizing it at all, I'm just curious, what about it makes you want to travel and spend money to watch it?
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:04 am

Dave,

dooda wrote:Sheepie,

Yup, definitely a hijacking for the books. Personally, I would feel honored if one of my threads were fully hijacked.

Perhaps someone can help me. I've never understood the idea of watching cars race (I assume this is what you're talking about). I love demolition derbies, tons of action, explosions etc, but car racing just doesn't do it for me. I'm not criticizing it at all, I'm just curious, what about it makes you want to travel and spend money to watch it?

That's a good question, and it's a difficult one to answer. Some people go to watch baseball games, and many seem to enjoy themselves too; I've been to a couple (in the US, and including the Yankees and NY Stadium too) but I'm over it now. :)

With F1 though, and for me, it's a combination of a lot of factors. There's the cars - they're fast, and I mean seriously fast. Cars that one might otherwise consider to be fast pale into the also-rans by comparison. At Monza, the Lamborghini Trphy Race that was a suppoort event to the 2000 F1GP was between about 20 Lambos. That's a lot of $$$ on the track, and ostensibly, one would expect them to be quite fast.

And they were. Kinda. but the F1s had earlier done their morning session, and it the the lambos about twice as long as the F1s to cover any given section of track.

Consider the dynamics of a vehicle that can go from zero to a couple of hundred mph and back to zero in about 4 or 5 seconds.

The drivers have to be super-fit, of course (I let them take care of my exercise quota) in order to be able to handle 2 hours of this, and if you can get some good racing into the bargain (such as de la Rosa served up last Sunday in Bahrain) then it can get really exciting.

At least I think so.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:11 am

kipper wrote:I really can't believe Brabham and Jones aren't undercover. They could atleast have one stand at the F1GP in Oz that is undercover.

Darryl, I think it's only a few corporates that get govered stands in Melbourne.

As to rental cars ... have you rented in Italy? There's a "hidden" but compulsory insurance charge that's not insignificant - it adds about 50% of the rental cost to the bill - so you need to be a little bit wary when ghetting quotes there. I say it's "hidden" because the fine print mentions, of course, that there will be other charges and taxes, but the extent of this goes beyond what at least I expect to see. 10-15%, ok, no worries; 50% .... different story.

Next time we'll probably rent from France.

What are hotel costs like in Shanghai?

What would be the connections to get there? SYD-HKG-Shanghai ? And the airfare costs?

It's not been on my radar, so i'm (atm) totally ignorant of travel to that part of the world.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:37 am

Gary,

Thanks for the answer. I started trying to think about why I love basketball, and it is tricky to put into words, partly because I love playing basketball. I lived in the deep south for a few years, and man did they love Nascar Racing. So I went to the cafeteria with them and watched. They hardly watched it at all, just talked about their favorite drivers. There was a real super hero theme to it; the drivers in their leather one piece outfits driving super human speeds with helmits, and the roughnecks I worked with simply adored them (nearly worshipped actually). Anyway I came to the conclusion that it was an excuse for them to socialize, drink, eat, and worship, something that they didn't do a lot of otherwise (minus the drink). Even the really quiet ones spoke up. There I was gearing up to watch the cars race around (the way I'd watch Basketball). It wasn't a sport to watch intently like Basketball, but a gathering. Baseball is like this though.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:26 am

Incidently Gary, don't hire from Hertz in France. We had an unpleasant experience with them. Small stone chip on the front of the bonnet that was about 1mm wide and about 5mm long and they charged us about $400-500. We argued with them saying it was normal wear and tear and they said otherwise. In the end we payed it and claimed on the travel insurance, then wrote a nasty letter to Hertz. When I hired from Thrifty today I told them the story and they said they put it under normal wear and tear unless there is a dent.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby MCWB on Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:36 pm

sheepie wrote:hehe - I am often a little concerned that some of my posts could be construed as 'thread hijacking'. After reading this thread, I will no longer worry - this HAS to be one of the best hijacks I have ever seen!

What are you talking about Leon? I'd take a Tamron 11-18 to the race, honest!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave: with respect to your question about what makes motosport entertaining, I think for me it comes down to the difficulty of actually doing it, the skill involved, the speed, precision etc. I've played racing sims (mostly F1) for many years now, so I appreciate how difficult it is (and that's without all the physical exertion). If you've ever had a fang in a go-kart you'll know what I mean!

If you've never seen and heard a F1 car in the flesh, I can assure you it's something else! In 2000, I went to Melbourne for the first time, with my Dad (also a motorsport nut); the last GP he'd been to was in the mid-late 70s at Dijon-Prenois. We stood at turn 5, where you can get pretty close to the cars as they zoom through a turn at 230 km/h (130 mph). The first car on track was a lowly Minardi, but when it screamed past (you need earplugs, they're that loud) at incredible speed and disappeared as fast as it came, I turned to my Dad like :shock:, stammered, "Holy shit!", then picked my jaw off the floor! Awesome stuff! :)

Pity the ChampCars don't race in Vancouver anymore, I saw them in the flesh last year on the Gold Coast, and they're also pretty awesome. I really should get around to processing all of my pics from that hey. :roll:
MCWB

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:40 pm

I don't use ear plugs at the F1GP anymore :) I think after a few years going to them my ears have come used to it (damaged). :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby dooda on Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:44 pm

Yes a pity, I never got around to checking out the Vancouver Indy. I definitely heard it though. Otherwise I would say D70 Users MEET IN VANCOUVER FOR THE VANCOUVER INDY. Lots of room at my place! Plus we can take some nature photo excursions up the Sea to Sky Corridor. Too bad :x

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Neeper on Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:18 pm

sheepie wrote:hehe - I am often a little concerned that some of my posts could be construed as 'thread hijacking'. After reading this thread, I will no longer worry - this HAS to be one of the best hijacks I have ever seen!

Sorry, I guess it was me that was the original hijacker on this thread. I ask why things cost more money there and now you guys are talking about Nascar and Vancouver Indy? Priceless! :twisted:
Neeper

Return to Information