Lead us not into (Gitzo) temptation....

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lead us not into (Gitzo) temptation....

Postby muzz on Thu May 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I just received an email from Quality Camera Sales offering 50% off all Gitzo listings for the next 2 days. Some of you may well be interested so I thought I'd post it here.

More info at : http://www.qcsa.com.au/.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: Lead us not into (Gitzo) temptation....

Postby Steffen on Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Wow!

So, what's a popular tripod model among keen amateurs?

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby radar on Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Steffen,

Steffen wrote:So, what's a popular tripod model among keen amateurs?

Depends what you want to use it for. For a tripod to carry on your back when bushwalking, the Mountaineer series is very good, looking at the 1500 series, probably later in the year. For now, I continue to use my Benro but it is starting to show its age.

For something a bit more beefy, I have the Systematic GT3541LS, great tripod, solid, not too heavy.

Another good place for Gitzo tripods is http://www.photovideo.com.au. That's where I got my Gitzo.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri May 13, 2011 10:06 am

I also have the Gitzo Systematic GT3541LS with RRS BH55LR. All up it weighs 2.88Kg with the Optech leg warmers which I am replacing ASAP. I would be buying one from Quality Cameras today while their sale is on.
I took this tripod to Antarctica with me (I bought it for the trip) and it performed flawlessly.
I am also adding a centre column as I like the fine height adjustment the column adds.

In addition, I have the Gitzo GT2540EX with RRS BH40LR head which comes in at 2.35Kg. This is a very versatile tripod, just not quite as robust as the 3541. I didn't take it as I deemed it too small for my longest lens combination (400mm - 70-200 + 2x TC)

I would recommend either. I have been down the expensive road to these tripods (Several Velbons, SLIKs etc) and do not recommend it. One tripod, if good, will outlast any number of cameras.

I would however seriously consider the RRS tripods that Sylvia has. They just didn't have the configuration I was after in time for my trip.

I know this is not achieving your desired outcome, but if chosen wisely the expense of a Gitzo or RRS tripod can be amortised over a LOT of years.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby colin_12 on Sat May 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Sale extended for the weekend. :cheers:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Return to Information