How to avoid hot spots?

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

How to avoid hot spots?

Postby melklim on Thu May 19, 2005 1:26 pm

How do you avoid "hot spots" while using a SB-600 on my D70? I also have a Pocket Bouncer attached to my SB-600. While most of my shots are great, I still manage to get hot spots. Is just a matter of adjusting my flash compensation? All advices are very much welcome.
melklim

Postby gstark on Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi Melklim, and welcome to the forums.

Please put your location into your profile; trust me when I tell you that you'll be surprised at how much it helps us to help you ...

You might try to use a different curve in the camera - soften the contrast - or perhaps pull the flash intensity back a notch or two. When I'm using the flash - either on-board or SB800 - I will usually have it dialled back to -1/3 or -2/3 EV.

Finally, you might be interested in this thread. We have a second order of these due to come in next week, for about PP60.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 pm

A hot spot is normally some form of reflection and as such are impossible to avoid if there is a reflective surface - try bouncing the flash of the ceiling as a starter.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Information