MARS SPECTACULAR

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

MARS SPECTACULAR

Postby gMaster on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:33 pm

Me no astronomer, Not sure if it is true, but just got an email about it, so if it is true, will be an very interesting photo opportunity, if the MARS is really as big as FULL MOON... get your 200-400VR ready guys ...

MARS SPECTACULAR ~

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month & next The Earth will be catching up with Mars in an encounter that will soon culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in our recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars & perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain Mars has NOT come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years - and it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again!

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth & will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 & will appear 25.11 'arc seconds' wide...at a modest 75-power magnification!!

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. It will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10pm & reach its azimuth at about 3am. By the end of August when the two planets are closest - Mars will rise at nightfall & reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30am. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So - mark your calendar at the beginning of
August to see Mars grow progressively brighter & brighter throughout the month.
gMaster

Re: MARS SPECTACULAR

Postby Flyer on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:41 pm

gMaster wrote:Me no astronomer, Not sure if it is true, but just got an email about it, so if it is true, will be an very interesting photo opportunity, if the MARS is really as big as FULL MOON... get your 200-400VR ready guys ...

See this link.
Flyer

Re: MARS SPECTACULAR

Postby Greg B on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:51 pm

gMaster wrote:....Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye....

They just went a bit too far with this statement. :roll:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Gordon on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:00 am

yea, its a pile of crap... Mars comes closest every 15 or 17 years, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 2003 and 1988. It comes close at intervals of just over 2 years as Earth overtakes it, and this year is a fairly average distance encounter, actually a bit closer than the long term average, but nothing special. The 15/17 year period of closest approaches is when Earth overtakes Mars when Mars is near its perihelion (closest point to the sun), thse close approaches occur in August.
Its rising late evenings now, and is high up in the north as morning twilight starts, its the brightest star-like object in that part of the sky, and is orange in colour.
If you have a look with a decent telescope, you can see the South Polar Cap quite well at the moment.

Gordon
Gordon

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:54 am

Gordon,

Thanx for the clarification on this. It's greatly appreciated.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:57 am

It's good to have an expert's comments. :)
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:20 am

cricketfan wrote:It's good to have an expert's comments. :)

It is indeed, thanks Gordon.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:05 am

I read this thread backwards so maybe that helped, but isn't the article saying that if you view mars through a 75x Telescope, it will appear as large as a full-moon does, when looking at the moon with the naked eye?

75x Telescope + Mars = Naked eye + Full Moon?

I could be wrong of course, that's just how I read the article.
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:11 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:I read this thread backwards so maybe that helped, but isn't the article saying that if you view mars through a 75x Telescope, it will appear as large as a full-moon does, when looking at the moon with the naked eye?

75x Telescope + Mars = Naked eye + Full Moon?

I could be wrong of course, that's just how I read the article.

Dean your interpretation is correct, but the mail item is carefully worded so people think they'll both be the same size to the naked eye.

Here's a NASA link and one on the Snopes urban legend site about the email. Interestingly this is recycled from August 2003 and all that's been changed is the year. The nearest Mars gets this year is 20% further away than it was in August 2003 (when it was 35 million miles from us) and that actually happens in OCTOBER. BTW - I've received this email from two friends in the last 24 hours and one of my more gullible workmates forwarded this today to every member of staff :roll:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:22 pm

Perhaps we could market some special D70Users tinfoil hats to protect the wearer against mars germs while it is closer to earth.

:lol:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:51 pm

that's funny, the same text came through as a press release here at the paper just a day or two ago. :lol:
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Return to Information