Fluorescents and the Kelvin Myth

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Fluorescents and the Kelvin Myth

Postby birddog114 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:23 pm

Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:47 pm

Warning - total irrelevancy follows.

Lord Kelvin was an interesting bloke......

1895 statement by Kelvin - "heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible" (Australian Institute of Physics),

1896 statement, "I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning...I would not care to be a member of the Aeronautical Society."

Kelvin is also known for an address to an assemblage of physicists at the British Association for the advancement of Science in 1900 in which he stated, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

He invented the mirror galvanometer, a telegraph message receiver and supervised the laying of the first trans-Atlantic insulated electric telegraph cable which revolutionised world communications. He invented an electric strain gauge, an improved ship's compass, the Kelvin ampere balance and an electrostatic voltmeter amongst a host of other developments.

------------------------------

I have had the pleasure of some very boozy lunches at the Kelvin Club in Melbourne courtesy of a friend who is a member.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:47 pm

Greg,
Great knowledge and wealthy information!!!!we send you to the show "who want to be a millionaire" then get the monies for lens lust :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:49 pm

Interesting article link there. I had previously posted a question on another forum regarding correct WB setting for those sickly orange sodium vapour lamps. According to the article, if I wanted to take photos under those lights, I should supplement it with a full spectrum light source. However I achieve relatively acceptable results using preset WB on the D70.
Onyx

Postby MHD on Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:57 pm

preset ballance is the way to go in those situations... as sodium lamps (and mercury lamps for that matter) do not radiate as a black body!

best worldly example is to look at a filiment as the battery drains, as the battery is able to deliver less power the temperature of the filiment lowers, making the light warmer...

Tis all physics!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:00 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Greg,
Great knowledge and wealthy information!!!!we send you to the show "who want to be a millionaire" then get the monies for lens lust :lol:

I suspect that Greg's knowledge of Kelvin might be better suited for The Einstein Factor.

Of course, I want to go on the Einstein Factor too; my subject of choices?

Questions for which the correct answer is "Pass".
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:14 pm

gstark wrote:
Of course, I want to go on the Einstein Factor too; my subject of choices?

Questions for which the correct answer is "Pass".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(PS. I love the Einstein Factor)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:11 pm

Gary, such as....

'Complete the name of the following geographical location, The Khyber ....."
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Steve,

Precisely.

"In a game of Rugby League, the act of throwing a ball, in a controlled manner, from one player to another is called a ???"
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bago100 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:08 pm

Well said Steve!

also

"In a game of Rugby League, the act of throwing a ball anywhere in a panicked manner from the point of throw, to any player is called a ????

:D

It will be in the D70 manual somewhere for sure! Yep! HERE IT IS!!!! page 196, second column, cleaning subheading, first word beginning on the 11th line down.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Matt. K on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:17 pm

C'mon guys. When do we get the answers?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:24 pm

Matt,

Pass.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information