Speedlight users

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Speedlight users

Postby gooseberry on Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:34 am

Interesting new DVD from Nikon featuring Joe McNally.

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/spe ... plash.html

Check out the preview. Looks like a good DVD for those interested in getting the most out of CLS.
gooseberry

Postby sheepie on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:42 am

Thanks for this Gooseberry - and at a reasonable price too :)

I like the following statement they make:
Your Nikon Speedlight instruction manual provides important information that will further ensure that your Nikon Speedlights work harder for you and your photography.

Have they actually ever tried to read their manual? :?

I might look at getting one of these, as I find the whole subject very interesting (not that I have experimented all that much with it, but Gary's workshop last sunday gave me inspiration!).
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby sheepie on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:54 am

hrmmm -
The Nikon Mall does not accept orders for billing and/or shipment to locations outside the United States of America or its possessions and/or territories.

Is there another alternative? (other than you know who, who will probably either not know anything about it, or mark the price up to $100 or more!)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:56 am

What can we dig out from the SB800 manual?
Anyone?
Or just little bit more weight to put on the box and the missing trees from the forest, we pay all at the end + more shipping charges.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby mitedo on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 am

Just looking through my SB 800manual to try & find this high speed sync setting page 60 does it work with the D70s or not
mitedo

Postby sheepie on Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:21 am

mitedo wrote:Just looking through my SB 800manual to try & find this high speed sync setting page 60 does it work with the D70s or not

I think you'll find it does not work with the D70 - not without a small modification anyway (some of our members have done this I believe).
sheepie
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:16 am

Cover the first two contacts on the hotshoe (as you hold the camera) and your D70 will encompass shutter speeds past 1/500th sec :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:03 pm

However you have to use the flash manually so you will have to dial in shutter speed, aperture, iso, distance to subject if I'm not mistaken. Or is it just distance to subject that you have to set, can't remember been a while since I used it and it was for all of two seconds.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby kipper on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:05 pm

And there I was thinking it was pronounced "Nick-On", but no it's actually "Nai-Kon"......lol.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby BBJ on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:09 pm

Yes Darryl, i noticed that as well.LOL But not surprising they all ways have to be different.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby gooseberry on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:07 pm

sheepie wrote:hrmmm -
The Nikon Mall does not accept orders for billing and/or shipment to locations outside the United States of America or its possessions and/or territories.

Is there another alternative? (other than you know who, who will probably either not know anything about it, or mark the price up to $100 or more!)

Hey sheepie,

try here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation

cheaper than the Nikon mall too.
gooseberry

Postby gooseberry on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:12 pm

kipper wrote:And there I was thinking it was pronounced "Nick-On", but no it's actually "Nai-Kon"......lol.

Hahha.. yeah, I think the Japanese pronounce it "Knee-Kon" or "Nick-On" as most people do. It seems to be just the US that pronounce it "Nai-Kon"
gooseberry

Postby Onyx on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Yeah, don't Nai-Kon our sacred name. It's an abbreviation of Nippon Kogaru, so unless you pronounce Nippon as 'Nai-pon', Nikon should always be 'Nick-on'.
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:55 pm

sheepie wrote:hrmmm -

With you know who now controlling the senate, our status as a possession of the USA might be formalised soon anyway.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Cyrus on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:05 am

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that teaser. I'd give anything to be given the opportunity to stand beside a pro tog and watch and ask questions as they go about their work, even if it meant that I'd have to be their go-for at times. Has anybody seen anything like that DVD but aimed at Canon DSLR's? Also that seemed as if the primary role of the DVD was to plug Nikon hardware, would it be of any use to somebody using Canon or would I be better off searching for something specific to Canon?

Cyrus

P.S. That was a mouthful of questions, sorry :wink:
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:18 am

I have a D2x eBook from Thom Hogan, and it has 73 pages, section of the SB800 and other Nikon Speedlite, the Nikon D2x flash system is the same with the D2h and D70 (as per TH's quoted). So D70 and SB 800 owners can use this section for your reference, well recommended.

I've found it very useful to learn about the Nikon CLS, this section comes with each detailing of configuration, setting up, management of the Nikon SB800 and more of other Nikon flashes from SB-21 to the SB800. Lot of stuffs which I have learned and answers to my queries from the past 4 weeks.

I can have it ready for member to read at the mini meet (On spot) on this coming Saturday 20/8/05.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Luke Smith on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 am

Maybe I'm just a bit of a nerd, but I don't find the D70 or SB800 manuals that daunting. They explain how to use the functions, without really touching on what the results may be, but isn't that part of the fun?

The extra colour booklet that came with the SB800 was good, with drawings of setups like in that DVD and colour photos of the results to give you some inspiration.

My suggestion is to read the manuals, even if you don't understand them, when you have finished you could read it again and many of the concepts you missed the first time will probably drop into place.

L.
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Return to Information