BGLOD

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Onyx on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 pm

Thanks for the offer Paul, the event has passed (it was on Wed night) - luckily there was a camera man from a local community TV station present at the function that my friend spoke at, and he's kindly agree to send footage to him at cost. So even without stills, all is not lost. What a night it was too... :D

Anyway, let's keep this thread back to BGLOD. Maxwell promised a 10-14 day turnaround. I'm realistically expecting it back in 2006. ;)
Onyx

Postby wendellt on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:21 pm

Onyx wrote:Thanks for the offer Paul, the event has passed (it was on Wed night) - luckily there was a camera man from a local community TV station present at the function that my friend spoke at, and he's kindly agree to send footage to him at cost. So even without stills, all is not lost. What a night it was too... :D

Anyway, let's keep this thread back to BGLOD. Maxwell promised a 10-14 day turnaround. I'm realistically expecting it back in 2006. ;)

sorry to hear about your camera dying, if i had the time i would of shot your event for you, ,otherwise you could of borrowed my camera under my supervision.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

wendellt wrote:
,otherwise you could of borrowed my camera under my supervision.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
No one does this way Wendellt
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby johndec on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:50 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
wendellt wrote:
,otherwise you could of borrowed my camera under my supervision.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
No one does this way Wendellt

I couldn't have put it any better myself ... :roll:
Last edited by johndec on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:02 pm

The spirit of this small community never had or will ever never have some actions like that. The generosity is always flowing with full steam to support our fellow member, when someone needs a hand.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MCWB on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:33 pm

With all due respect, it's Wendell's camera and it's his choice what he does with it, not ours. Whatever anyone else thinks (and I do have my own thoughts on it) it is irrelevant and inappropriate for them to be aired in public IMO. Just a thought. :)
MCWB

Postby big pix on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:05 pm

now reported on a D70s......... but is it the same fault??????......

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf ... d=16082791
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby wendellt on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:30 pm

Birddog114 wrote:The spirit of this small community never had or will ever never have some actions like that. The generosity is always flowing with full steam to support our fellow member, when someone needs a hand.

I was just being cheeky, if chi needs my D2X i will give it to him to problem that night he rang me but i was engaged at another event, I will make it up to him somehow

ah taken out of context yet again, so goes the life of the dslrusers.net whipping boy...
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Onyx on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:07 pm

/me does a little dance.

Yay I got my D70 back! And just like the last time I sent my D70 into Maxwell, it's mysteriously fixed and ready for collection 1 day following a phone call to them.

Fixed at no charge - this was a Malaysian purchased one, with 700xxx serial number, I thought they'd kick up a fuss about not servicing grey market cameras (like they warned me beforehand), but I was wrong.

Excellent work done by the technicians, sensor cleaned as a bonus... but I gained an extra dust particle on the inside window of the top LCD. Ferk, I guess I'll have to live with it. I don't wanna be without a camera again if I can help it...

There's been so many missed opportunities already in these past weeks, especially yesterday at the FBI School of Design's fashion shoot. Wardrobe malfunction at its finest and nobody captured it!
Onyx

Postby avkomp on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:13 pm

onyx:
glad you got your baby back. I dont take that many images but knowing I can when I choose is important.
I can imagine being without mine.
hope I avoid the bglod. I didnt avoid the battery issue, but maxwell did a great job of getting me a replacement.

steve
avkomp

Re: BGLOD

Postby harlequin on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:02 pm

New member Harlequin - South Africa : The Blinking Green Light of Death experienced 2 months ago - big fright. Nikon SA repaired without waranty - within 24 hours !! According to tech team it is well known issue - and repair is automatic. No more issues after Nikon visit.
:D
gstark wrote:The Blinking Green Light Of Death has been reported by a few members with a D70 here, as well as a number of people on DPR.

Maxwells seem to be of the attitude that they'll fix this issue under warranty if it's a known issue. This is good, and I think we need to be prepared to help them if necessary. :)

What I would like to have in this thread is for members who have been affected by this issue - and only those affected members - to just note that they were affected by it, and how the issue was addressed.

No other comments are necessary - indeed, I'll probably delete them. I just want to build up a sampling of affected users that might be able to be used to demonstrate - if required - the extent of the problem.

For the record, my D70 has not (as yet) been affected by this issue.

Thanx y'all.
:D
harlequin

Postby Manta on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:19 pm

Welcome Harlequin!

Pleased you had what looks like an extremely favourable outcome to a situation that has caused some of our members many sleepless nights.

:)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Welcome harlequin - it would seem that SA has a better service than AU :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:58 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Welcome harlequin - it would seem that SA has a better service than AU :wink:

Would that surprise you?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby rdv on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi everybody

I have just stumbled across the forum and happily registered. I came across this BGLoD post and I must admit this is the first time I have ever heard of it, even if it is by the sounds of it rather common. So please excuse my ignorance but what is it, what does it mean? I have a nikon D70 that I bought in Madrid, Spain while travelling Europe in October 04 and it has worked like a dream. Now I am worried that maybe there should be something I should be worrying about :roll:
rdv

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Doubtful.

This problem affects the really early models, and yours, fortunately, isn't that early.

Had you bought it 5 or 6 months prior, I'd have said otherwise.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby genji on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:59 pm

doh....

cursed BGLoD has affected my D70.

camera clinic in melb estimate 4 weeks for parts to become available. appearantly part is in 'shortage'.

nothing to do but sit and twiddle my thumb!
[every man's work is always a portrait of himself.
Ansel Adams, Carmel, California, 1979]
genji

Postby avkomp on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:13 pm

I would have thought 4 weeks to be unreasonable considering that this is a well known issue.
maybe they should loan you a d2x whilst you wait. :lol:
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Perfect Timing

Postby Ben on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:26 am

I think I have been stung with the BGLOD and timing could not have been more perfect. Not only do I have to photograph the installation of a whole lot of new stuff into my car for our big trip in 5 days but we leave on said trip in 8 days. And to top it off it is a Sunday so noone wants to answer there phone. 10 months around Australia with at least 6-9 months planning and this happens 1 week before we leave....

Ben
Ben

Postby radar on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:05 am

Bugger :cry: :cry:

If you need to borrow a camera for a few days, you are welcome to come and get mine for a day or two, if that would help, just PM me.

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby rdv on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:03 am

I think I jinxed myself by reading this post. Everything was fine until then. I THINK I have the dreaded thing now. There are times when I turn the camera on and the green light just sits there blinking at me. Sometimes the number of remaining shots shows up on the top lcd, others it doesn't. I find that if I take the battery out and leave it for a few minutes then put it back in that it only fixes the problem sometimes. The thing is that if you leave it long enough that it works again. I also noticed that with the SB800, if you turn the flash on before the camera that the camera will not work and I get the green blinking light. Is this normal or just coincidence? Is this the dreaded GBLOD? If so can anyone tell me where the best place to take it for repairs in Brisbane? Should I be charged for this because by the look Nikon has fixed a lot of instances out of warranty at no cost.

Thanks in advance and anticipation
rdv

Postby big pix on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:15 am

Andersons......... 14 Merritt Street Capalaba Ph:0732456444
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Onyx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:56 pm

rdv, the faults you reported sounds similiar to what I experienced a few days before mine fell into a full blown coma. In my case, I had the remaining shot counter displaying a number when the CF card was pulled out, random blinks that were apparently 'fixed' by battery removal and re-insertion, but it wasn't long before it was completely dead.

I would be very surprised if you were charged for repairs, as it's well documented via an international service advisory by Nikon.
Onyx

Postby belle on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Argh, the dreaded BGLOD has also appeared on my old faithful D70, I think it's trying to tell me something because I was about to give it to my father in exchange for a D200 (quite a nice deal I might add, I don't even believe it myself but he offered)!

I've had my D70 since June 2004 and it has withstood around 15000 shots and a life of abuse but why oh why did it decide to fail now? I guess it's just Murphy doing his job with me after he finished with Onyx.

Guess it's time for a fix, I was going to get a service anyway before I made the trade but now i have a valid reason.
belle

BGLOD

Postby Ben on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:10 pm

Just a follow up to my earlier post. I experienced the problem and rang Maxwell two days later ( a Monday) and was put through to Simon the service manager. I explain to him that I am about to head off around
Oz for 12 months and needed the camera repaired ASAP. He offered to do a same day repair if I got it down to him. Two days later I took it to Sydney (from Newcastle) and after three hours had my camera back minus the blinking light and after a general grease and oil ready to hit the road. No complaints from me.

Ben
Ben

Postby Matt. K on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:54 pm

Ben
It,s good to hear a positive tale involving Maxwells. I had a similar experience. They can be very good sometimes. By the way, I just checked your avatar...your moisturiser is letting you down.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby TimH on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Tim Hatu, Sydney.

Bought camera in March 2004. No probs till this morning when the BGLOD problem occured.

After some searching, I learned that it is a known problem then I found this site and what a relief it was to learn that Maxwell repairs this problem free of charge.

Will conact Maxwell on Monday and hopefully get it repaired ASAP as I am heading to Bahrain for the F1 in a bit over 2 weeks and I MUST have my D70. I hope they have the needed spare parts :!:

Will report back.

Great site BTW, I shall have a browse :wink:
TimH

Postby avkomp on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:23 pm

welcome to the site Tim, will be interesting to see how you get on.

Steve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby TimH on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:24 am

Contacted Maxwell yesterday (Monday) and was told to drop the camera in for repair "as warranty" work.

Got to Maxwell in the afternoon, explained the problem which they immediately knew about. Told it would take 4 weeks, asked that if it could be done any quicker as I am heading overseas in 2 weeks, they checked a few things and told me yep it should be ready in a week.

I must say that Maxwell have great customer service, not just because they try to help their customers but they seem to be friendly and cheerful too.

I'll report back when I hear from them.

Cheers 8)
TimH

Postby fozzie on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:44 pm

Well I am the latest victim :(

I delivered the D70 to Nikon's Agent in Adelaide this morning, and status confirmed. Hopefully left for Maxwell's today, and to be repaired at no charge. Estimated time for repair 4-6 weeks:

Adelaide Technical Camera Service
Level 1
Unit 2
163 Halifax Street
Adelaide

Tel: 8224 0321
Mob: 0400 289 879

Just for a bit of history, I purchased the camera on the 9th May 2004.

For the benefit of other D70 users in SA, I will edit this post when any information is received ie. return date or delay due to something.

Fortunately I have another digital body to use in the meantime.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby shaunus on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:01 pm

fozzie,

i just got my D70 back yesterday after 8 weeks with the same problem, i also had the bottom case replaced after a little tumble i had on a road.

works fine now, fully cleaned and firmware upgrade and its good to have back.
you get what you get, always learn from the mistakes
shaunus

Postby TimH on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:29 am

Got an SMS from Maxwell that my camera was ready and I picked it up yesterday. Totally satisfied with the service and the 3 day turnaround :D

Work was under warranty and they replaced the light measuring fpc unit. They also cleaned it.

Happy again!

Thanks again for this forum :wink:
TimH

Postby Killakoala on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Funny thing happened to me.

I had the 'other' warranty issue, the CHA or FOR error when i turn the camera on so i planned to take the D70 to Maxwells this morning. SOOooOO, i chucked a CF card in it this morning to see if it would emulate the problem when i got to the shop and guess what????? the BGLOD..... So my D70 has BOTH warranty problems...bugger!!!!

Also told it will take FOUR BLOODY WEEKS to fix. Damnit.. Lucky it's only my backup. :)

Now all i need is for my D2H to suffer it's potential exposure issue and i'll be screwed. Irony sucks.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Killakoala,
Tell them you earn for your living from the D70 and they will do it quick.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:36 pm

My D2h was picked up by me this morning due to my previously guessing:
"meter failure" at Cataract Dam meet.
But it's not, see the following lines:

- VBA10301-1C998-448 Grip Rubber
- VBA10301-1C998-574 Pentaprism FPC
Comment:
Dismantled camera and replaced listed part.
Reassembled and calibrated AE and Metering functions
Check and test.

So it's not the metering issues but the Pentaprism FPC.

Surprised me alot.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Killakoala on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:41 pm

That is surprising. Makes me wonder how a pentaprism could become faulty. At least you've got it back now. That's the main thing.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby huynhie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Killakoala wrote:That is surprising. Makes me wonder how a pentaprism could become faulty. At least you've got it back now. That's the main thing.

Suprised me as well, as the camera was always exposing 5 stops over at Cateract dam.
huynhie

Postby birddog114 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 pm

huynhie wrote:
Killakoala wrote:That is surprising. Makes me wonder how a pentaprism could become faulty. At least you've got it back now. That's the main thing.

Suprised me as well, as the camera was always exposing 5 stops over at Cateract dam.

Yeah! I was sure, it's the meter, but I asked they said, nothing wrong with the meter and only the pentaprism.
I'll make it working hard this week end or asking Wendell do me a favour. :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby digitor on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm

fozzie wrote:Well I am the latest victim :(

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh no, I'm just waiting for mine to pop its clogs now - as far as I know fozzie, our D70s came from the same batch, I got mine in the last week of April 2004. Knowing Murphy, it'll probably cark it just as we leave for HK in about 3 weeks :?

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby fozzie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:49 pm

digitor - I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Sincerely hope you and Vicki have a great holiday in HK 8)

digitor wrote:
fozzie wrote:Well I am the latest victim :(

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh no, I'm just waiting for mine to pop its clogs now - as far as I know fozzie, our D70s came from the same batch, I got mine in the last week of April 2004. Knowing Murphy, it'll probably cark it just as we leave for HK in about 3 weeks :?

Cheers
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Killakoala on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm

I bought mine in April 2004 as well.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:11 pm

We should call it: " The bloody April 04" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby curly on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 pm

AAAAaaahhhhh... BGLOD has struck half way through a concert tonight. Wildly erratic metering (1/5000 at f22) in a darkened room with a black backdrop then it flicked all over the place and locked up. Had to pop the battery to turn it off. Have been getting some pretty odd metering at times lately but put it down to a failure in the nut behind the viewfinder.

Bought it off a friend of my daughter so don't know when she bought it originally but that doesn't really matter as it's stuffed anyway.

Hello... Maxwells? Guess what!
Curly

It's better to seek forgiveness afterwards than ask permission beforehand
curly

Postby marcotrov on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear it Curly. It worked bloody fine when you were up here :)
I'm starting to touch every piece of wood I can lay my hands on with all these D70's gonig down with the dreaded BGLOD. Wonder if there is a pattern to how they were used before the BGLOD attack. :?
Hope it works out for you :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:28 am

curly wrote:AAAAaaahhhhh... BGLOD has struck half way through a concert tonight. Wildly erratic metering (1/5000 at f22) in a darkened room with a black backdrop then it flicked all over the place and locked up. Had to pop the battery to turn it off. Have been getting some pretty odd metering at times lately but put it down to a failure in the nut behind the viewfinder.

Bought it off a friend of my daughter so don't know when she bought it originally but that doesn't really matter as it's stuffed anyway.

Hello... Maxwells? Guess what!

Sorry to hear that curly!
Will talk to you today at BH about fixing it for you.
Bring your D70 along and give it to me, I'll take care of it.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby curly on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:41 am

Thanks Marco, you read about all the others and start to wonder when will it be my turn. Still it's happened to a lot of people and all seem to have been resolved satisfactorily if sometimes a bit slowly.
Curly

curly

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:34 am

Curly,

That's exactly the problem I had with mine. Crazy metering, but Maxwell's fixed it pronot. Right on two weeks, IIRC.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby marcotrov on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:52 am

That's interesting Gary as just recently I have noticed, only has happened 1 or 2 times but whilst metering all of a sudden i have noticed a small, not big say between 2 thirds and a full stop, spike in exposure and only momentarily before taking the shot. Is the metering error a prelude to the dreaded BGLOD :( I won't panic as the camera still returns exposures as I have metered. If it does strike I hope it does so after I get my D200 :wink: Thank god (or whomever :wink: ) that Nikon are committed to the fix free of charge, well I suppose freight in mt case will be my charge.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:05 am

Marco,

Keep a close eye on the exposure readings that you're getting. You'll see that (if it's BGLOD) they're wildly erratic. I was seeing readings that were quite obviously nowehere near the mark: 1/4000 @ f/11 for indoors shots under available light, for instance.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby curly on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:42 am

Marco & Gary. That's exactly what was happening to me & then last night KAPOW.

You get virtually no warning when it's going to total itself but all the warning signs are there Marco... sorry
Curly

curly

PreviousNext

Return to Information