Cumulus image database program now for AUS$80?

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Cumulus image database program now for AUS$80?

Postby Matt. K on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:26 am

It seems that the product has been taken over by another company? Not sure of all the details but the above price is a bargain for those who know this software.
http://www.mediadex.com/intl/purchase.htm
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby stubbsy on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:28 am

Matt. That is indeed a bargain for a very good product. But the price is actually around AU$127 (79.95 euros) for the version required to work with raw files. for AU$80 (US$59.95) you can get iMatch from http://www.photools.com As you and some others will know, I think iMatch is a more powerful program than Cumulus.

Both Cumulus and iMatch are very powerful image database programs, but for me iMatch has the edge because it can be very easily scripted so the user can extend it's functionality (eg in a month or so I intend releasing some workflow scripts I've been working on that make iMatch the core of my PP activities and integrate it with NC and PS).

Interestingly I have just completed a black box addon for iMatch in my day job. We are using iMatch to scan documents via it's TWAIN functionality, then it fire up my black box (written entirely in Visual Basic.Net) which displays the document along with a number of customer specific field names so the document can have keywords attached (eg reference no, Date, Name etc). Once that process is complete the black box passes back the details to iMatch which writes them to both it's internal database and the document's IPTC fields. We then onsell iMatch to our clients who install iMatch and use it as a search front end to their indexed images. To assist the client I have scripted a search dialog box in iMatch that's installed at their end tailor made for this purpose. Most of this is not possible in Cumulus.

See this thread for an example of what I've already released for iMatch.

Edit: Added note that the pricing for the version of Cumulus/Mediadex that can read raw files costs more.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Information