BGLOD has been slain!

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

BGLOD has been slain!

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 pm

My camera went into Maxwells yesterday for the BGLOD problem. They just rang me and said it was ready for pickup and there was no charge.
I gotta say to Maxwells...."get your act together boys...a whole day to repair the D70? What took you so long?"

Seriously...this is outstanding service and kudos to NIKON for standing by their loyal customer base. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Matt. K on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:00 pm

Excellent News!!!
Alpha_7

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Matt.K,
Welcome your D70 back to its home!
So you'll be off to the Bay and shooting with us :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Congrats Matt - but I have to say that Maxwell must have changed management to be that efficient :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:03 pm

Previously unheard of!
Maybe they're doing so many it's a whole production line. :roll:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Got visitors from down south and have to be a tour guide this weekend. Will get to the bay eventually....and fish! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:07 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Congrats Matt - but I have to say that Maxwell must have changed management to be that efficient :D

Unfortunately, they're the same!
But they got nearly more than 300 components of that parts ready for D70 and D2h to be replaced, shipped to them last week, and they're ready for the tasks with extra staffs for servicing this BLGOD, and I've been told from their managemnet : turn around time is 24-48 hrs, and finally they did!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:09 pm

Perhaps, it's about time for you guy to do the "health check" for your baby! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby wendellt on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:11 pm

Hi MAtt

great news it's was like your camera went in for a manicure
You must of been really nice to them

but i think maxwell can fix d70's faster than d2x' as they are more common
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:13 pm

wendellt wrote:Hi MAtt

great news it's was like your camera went in for a manicure
You must of been really nice to them

but i think maxwell can fix d70's faster than d2x' as they are more common

wendellT,
they're the same, normally turn around time is two weeks, but this "recall" has to be done first priority and that order and instruction are from Nikon Japan.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby big pix on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:25 pm

nice one Matt.......hope Maxwell have parts left when I send down my D70 body........but the new D70s is very nice, have not had a chance to give it a workout as yet, but hope to this weekend........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby antman on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:37 pm

I bought my camera back in April 2004, basically on the 1st day they were available in the stores.

I have not had any problems with it(yet!).

Just wondering if they are doing "preventative" repairs or are they aware of a serial number range of the affected cameras. I would hate to have my camera fail unexpectedly on me.
Geoff C

My Gallery:http://geoffc.smugmug.com/
antman

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Maybe they just disconnected the green light! :lol:

Seriously, excellent service from Maxwells.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Manta on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Good question Antman. It seems that would be the next logical step by Nikon: implement a full product recall on suspect serial numbers. But then again, that would mean Maxwells would really have to be proactive in their customer service and, given that they have made the right moves in relation to Matt's repair job, perhaps we shouldn't expect them to become too helpful, too quickly. Little steps at first.... :wink:

Congratulations Matt and may this be the last time your baby ever sees the operating table. :D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby johnd on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:39 pm

I can't bear to think of my d70 being shipped away to Maxwells to be fixed if I get the BGLOD. I'd guess it would be out of my hands for at least a week by the time it was shipped from and back to Hobart. Maybe I'b be best to buy a D2X as a backup just in case. :)
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby jberth1 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:54 pm

Matt,

That's great news - for you and for Maxwells.

My first BGLoD repair took them 6 days, and the latest took 4 days, so it's good to see they're still improving.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby avkomp on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:04 pm

out of curiosity,
do they say what they actually do to resolve the fault??

hopefully it wont become necessary to visit maxwells.
Although I am not far from them in the event of the worst.

Steve
avkomp

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:21 pm

avkomp wrote:out of curiosity,
Steve

Will you tell your customers all the works you do for them to fix the problems?

No, I don't think any Service technician will meet you at the front, you'll meet a person at the reception area, when you call in and they do their works like robot, whatever questions you asked, related into technical, The reply is: Sorry, I don't know. They then just give you a copy of receipt and say: thanks, see you again.

What happens if there's more than human labour in the service as parts and bench testing? Do you know what wrong with it? or how to disassemble and put it back together? I normally played around with some toys, end up I have few screws left behind.
Damm! these are not neccessary screws, why should they put in there :oops:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby avkomp on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:28 pm

Birdy: I figured they might say something like "replaced pc board x" or similar. when I get my car serviced they say the ride was rough so we replaced a shock absorber, that sort of thing.

As for the other, I wouldnt attempt to fix my camera myself if became necessary, but on lots of stuff I find that I am a much better engineer than the guys that originally build stuff, I always seem to be able to get things back to gether and have parts left over. :lol:

When I worked for the government many years ago there were these complicated looking radio tuning units with heaps of gears and stuff in them and you would pull them apart placing the stuff in a line across the bench and do the reverse upon reassembly, which used to work well, but when we had apprentices/trainees doing it we would go to the junk box and grab an extra gear or something and place it in the line when they werent looking. Then you just sit back and watch em try to figure out where to but the extra stuff!! :lol:
avkomp

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:38 pm

avkomp,
Don't get me wrong please,
Yes, I undrestand, if we know more we can do, unfortunately, the person, who you'll meet at the counter is a ROBOT,
he or she will hand you a repair sheet at completion, sign for it and pick up your gear then walk out, on the service invoice, nothing there will help us determine clearly what they have done, it's difference with the service of a motorcar, with car service, they will explain you all what fixed nor not fixed, tested etc... and answer your questions.

At Maxwell or Canon Service, they won't tell you much, coz you won't be able to see their technician, if you want to ask more then they will call their Service manager out and that guy is hopeless either, he'll look at the repair bill and tell you something which you don't want to hear or know.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby avkomp on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm

No problems,

I just figured that they may give a piece of paper or something with the camera.

I figure that my D70 isnt in the suspect batch anyhow, just idly curious is all.

Steve
avkomp

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:56 pm

avkomp wrote:No problems,

I just figured that they may give a piece of paper or something with the camera.

I figure that my D70 isnt in the suspect batch anyhow, just idly curious is all.

Steve

Yes, they do give you a piece of paper as your proof of repair but not much info in there btw.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:46 pm

The girl I met at Maxwells counter had a nice smile, Steve :wink:

Congrats Matt on your quick turnaround, I wonder if a little bird whispered in their ear?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby jberth1 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:24 pm

avkomp wrote:out of curiosity,

Although I am not far from them in the event of the worst.

Steve

Steve,

Maxwells are very specific about the fault resolution. They quote the part name, the part number, and in the case where they forget to detach their copy of the invoice, the list price of the part as well.... :wink:

I've had the 'Light Metering FPC Unit - VBA10401-1C998-630-1' replaced, as well as the 'Power Dial - VBA10401-1K201-292' - unit price - $0.91 !!!

I couldn't be happier with their service. They always SMS me to let me know the camera is ready to pickup (much better than an extended phone call wasting time, instead of fixing broken cameras btw...) and it's always returned clean, and with all it's accessories.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby avkomp on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:34 pm

Thanks for that Justin,

helps to get a handle on what is going on.

Steve
avkomp

Postby jberth1 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:43 pm

avkomp wrote:Thanks for that Justin,

helps to get a handle on what is going on.

Steve

as for the online enquiry / repair status system - it's never worked for me, but since they're quite quick with the repairs I've never really worried about it.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby thaddeus on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:14 pm

I'm not so lucky!

Monday 9am: Put my BLOG camera in at Maxwells
Tuesday: Received SMS saying that they needed to order a part
Wednesday: Rang for further details and to understand whether they had ordered the part or were waiting for me. They said they'd call back but didn't

I'll give them a call tomorrow.
thaddeus

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 pm

Thaddeus, you are in front of where I was, they took a week to look at mine when it had a holiday there before Christmas
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Information