Fill flash in PP

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Fill flash in PP

Postby mudder on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:47 pm

G'day all,

This might sound like boring old news to those familiar with PP stuff, but it might help others that are new to PP :)

Was just playing in PSCS2 and was struggling with an image that was taken in strong midday sun and was having trouble with strong shadows (shadows under the eyes on primates)... I didn't want to affect the entire image, so I thought... oh der!!! Why don't I just use a curve layer with a mask on the shadows, doh! There's probably a gazzilion ways to do this, this just seems an easy way for me...

This may seem convoluted when first reading this, but like a lot of PP stuff, once you've done it a couple of times it only takes a few seconds...

1) Make a mask just using one of the (alpha) channels (windows/channels to bring up the pallette), just choose the one (R,G or B etc.) with the most contrast (ie: the strongest shadows) and made a copy of it.
2) Adjust the levels (Image/Adjust/levels) so there's virtually just black and white left, no middle greys, drag in the sliders closer together. You should just have an image that's either black or white, no grey. For example I used 50,1,95 on my image
3) Invert the channel so the black and white is inverted/swapped (Image/Adjustments/Invert)
4) Now rename the new channel to Mask (or something) so you know what it's for later :lol:
5) Go back to RGB (click on the RGB channel)
6) Now select the shadows using select/load selection/mask (see that's why you renamed it before :lol: ) This should give you the marching ants (^H to toggle them on and off) on the shadow areas
7) Now go to layers and apply a curves adjustment layer and just accept the default, the curves layer will now have a mask with only your shadows selected
8 ) It might help to slightly gaussian blur the mask itself so the transition between affected and non-affected is subtle and gradual, so make the mask itself current (alt-click on the mask and you can see it by itself) and filter/gaussian blur/say 3-5 pixels? Season to taste :)
9) Then curve away to you hearts content and you'll only affect the shadow areas...

Tah Dah!!! Fill Flash in PP, and it won't hurt your highlights etc...

As mentioned this might seem old hat to those familiar with PP but just thought it might help the newer guys/gals...

Cheers.
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby NikonUser on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:18 pm

If you are using PSCS2 is there any reason you didn't use the Shadow/Highlights tool? It's under the image adjustments menu.

I've found this feature to be very good in some situations.

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby Alex on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. Will keep this as a bookmark.

Alex
Alex

Postby mudder on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:30 pm

NikonUser wrote:If you are using PSCS2 is there any reason you didn't use the Shadow/Highlights tool? It's under the image adjustments menu.

I've found this feature to be very good in some situations.

Paul

I just find these sorts of adjustment layers have much more control without duplicating layers or modifying your original, can chang ethem to your hearts content later etc, and you can tailor them to suit your needs for each image etc... Plus you can be very specific about which tones you play with via the curves etc...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Return to Tips and tricks