Can photos rotate on file transfer

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Can photos rotate on file transfer

Postby baloghmatt on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi there,

Since the D70 somehow records whether a photo is taken in portrait or landscape mode when it is taken and displays the pic on the back of the camera that way, is it possible to have the photos transfer to the PC correctly rotated? They all seem to come across landscape and have to be corrected.

Thanks Matt
baloghmatt

Postby Glen on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:05 pm

Yes Matt, I think (this is from memory) you set a function on the camera called "auto rotate"

just checked it is a camera menu, the one with the little spanner and the function is approriately enough called "image rotation" :wink:
Glen

Postby xorl on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:16 pm

After the photos have been downloaded you can do this with jhead and jpegtran (included in Linux, separate Windows download available). Have a look at http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html for more options.

The auto rotate menu option in the D70 is only for playback on the camera. Most of the time I find this option annoying since it displays portrait shots in letterbox format and makes it harder to see detail on an already small LCD.

Edit: Oops, I thought the "rotate tall" option was being discussed..
The "image rotation" option only tells the D70 to record the orientation information in the EXIF header but it doesn't cause the data to be rotated in camera. You can turn it off, but that doesn't seem very useful..
Mark
xorl

Postby digitor on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Nikon Capture takes notice of the portrait flag, as does Rawmagick, and they output correctly oriented conversions.

Also, to get your jpeg previews out of the raw files you can use Preview Extractor, which (optionally) does the same.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:47 pm

xorl wrote:The auto rotate menu option in the D70 is only for playback on the camera.

That is not the case.

If you use NC, NE, or NV, the images are also rotated when you see them on your PC.

Matt, NV is a fairly useful image browser, and you might find it's a worthwhile free download from the Nikon Asia website..
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Problem with Nikon Asia Site

Postby baloghmatt on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:28 pm

Thanks Gary et al.

I tried to register with the Nikon Asia site about a year ago. Ever since, I have not been able to get it. I have tried all the userids that I thought i used, but it won't recognise them. However if I try to create a new account, it says my email address has already been used. I am trapped! :)
Matt
Amateur amateur, Sydney Australia
baloghmatt

Working Now

Postby baloghmatt on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Apologies - I spoke too soon. It was a problem with case sensitivies. Downloaded Nikon Viewer all ok!

Thanks Matt
Matt
Amateur amateur, Sydney Australia
baloghmatt

Postby petal666 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 pm

The problem with doing a lossless rotation of the images and resaving them is that photoshop and other programs will read from the EXIF data that the image needs to be rotated and so they will end up the wrong way around.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Re: Problem with Nikon Asia Site

Postby digitor on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:53 pm

baloghmatt wrote:Thanks Gary et al.

I tried to register with the Nikon Asia site about a year ago. Ever since, I have not been able to get it. I have tried all the userids that I thought i used, but it won't recognise them. However if I try to create a new account, it says my email address has already been used. I am trapped! :)

I see that you have solved your problem, Matt, but I just thought I'd let people know that you don't need a valid email address to create a new account with Nikon Asia, as they don't seem to use it for anything. You do need, though, a valid Camera model/serial number combo.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Return to Tips and tricks