2 SB800s, 1 D70 and a short prayer

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

2 SB800s, 1 D70 and a short prayer

Postby kirsty on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:39 pm

Hello everyone and Happy New Year from bonny Scotland! :D

Your group is an amazing fund of information as well as a good giggle!

I have a big question that may also be an absolute beginner question. I'll post it there too just in case.

I have landed (by accident) a large Charity Event in February. The set up will be 600 or so guests at a dinner, charity auction/fund-raiser and dance with band. The organiser wanted me to take formal shots of guests during the reception and then some candids during the rest of the night, without being intrusive!

After lots of thought and panic attacks, I have decided to set up an area in the reception/lobby and take formals of the guests arriving. I have also decided to use 2 SB800s instead of carting a studio light set-up with me (I don't have one, that's why!). One SB800 will be on a flash bracket on the D70 and the other will be on a stand with a diffuser umbrella.

The question is, what happens next? I think I have to set the light on the stand as master and the other one as fill?? I need an SC29 cable and I have also bought a sekonic L358 (although some folks say the SB800 reads the light for you). As you can tell, I'm a bit confused and hope that someone could take me through this step by step including the best place to position the 2 lights. :?

Many many thanks,

Kirsty
kirsty

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:56 pm

Welcome Kirsty from Bonnie Australia.

Boy have you taken on a task. Oh, by the way you only need post in one section - don’t worry we will see you!

The only advice I can give at the moment without pouring over the manuals is to google for a document called SB800 A collection of Example Photos available, if I remember, from a Nikon site. This document would be a good start (it’s a downloadable pdf)

If you have difficulty in finding this document pm me and I can email it to you

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:04 pm

Welcome Kirsty... you only need it in one place... an I'll leave it in the Beginners Questions thread... I'm locking this one down. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby kirsty on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks Chris,

I have been using that PDF already but its still quite 'wordy' for this blonde! I just hoped that I could have a wee tutorial (with diagrams!) in laymen's terms. Am quickly realising that photography is a 'wordy' hobby!!!

I'll keep reading and maybe the penny will drop soon!

Thanks,

Kirtsy
kirsty

Return to Tips and tricks