working with horses (Flash)

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

working with horses (Flash)

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:26 pm

hello,
does anyone know if horses (and cows) are annoyed by flash? I have a shoot this week on a farm, and may use a horse in the pic with a model in saddle.

any animal experts offer some advise regarding flash, and general horse "expression" :D

no horsing around... :lol:
Oz_Beachside

Re: working with horses (Flash)

Postby shakey on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:59 pm

My daughter's horse is fine with flash but flash could certainly spook a horse if it is unfamiliar with it, and of a skittish disposition. If you don't get any better advice here is what I suggest. I wouldn't expose a horse to flash for the first time with a model on the horse. If the horse gets spooked and panics it could be ugly. I would try it with the horse on a lead rope held by someone familiar with, and trusted by, the horse. I wouldn't point the flash directly at the horse first up. I'd fire off the unit pointing about 90 degrees from the head. If it is comfortable with that then narrow the angle and fire again and repeat until you are pointing at the horse. Only if the horse is remaining comfortable at that point would I put someone on the horse and trial the flash again. The first person on the horse should be an experienced rider familiar with the horse. If that goes OK then put your model on. Maybe give the horse a treat between the early flashes...piece of bread, chunk of apple something like that, and at the end of the shoot.

From what I've seen flash doesn't seem to bother cows.

Good luck.
shakey

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:17 pm

thanks simon, good advise. the horse is the model's own, so she will know well, and will use your safer approach also.

perhaps I'll use reflectors moreso...
Oz_Beachside

Postby whitey on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:hello,
does anyone know if horses (and cows) are annoyed by flash? I have a shoot this week on a farm, and may use a horse in the pic with a model in saddle.

any animal experts offer some advise regarding flash, and general horse "expression" :D

no horsing around... :lol:

I wouldnt be using a flash with the model on straight up. Try to find out from the owner what the temperament of the horse is. I would think the cows would be less of an issue.

Too be honest I wouldnt use a flash with a model on the horse unless she was a reasonable rider and could hang on if it suddenly turned into a buckout.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby Bindii on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am

Oz_Beachside wrote:thanks simon, good advise. the horse is the model's own, so she will know well, and will use your safer approach also.

perhaps I'll use reflectors moreso...

Oh I would be far more worried about using reflectors than a flash around horses.. they tend not to like strange objects like that... of course it will depend on the horse (I grew up riding Arabs and they tend not to like anything really lol)... the owner of the horse should have an idea as to whether or not her mount will tolerate certain things like the flash etc...

P.S... We have racehorses and I use the flash around them all the time with hardly any reaction... but then again I guess they might have gotten used to that kinda thing at the track... :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby dviv on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I have photographed a friend's horses a few times and during the day most didn't seem to mind the flash. (A couple got a bit nervous)

At night however - pretty much all were seriously not happy campers.

HTH
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby shakey on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 pm

dviv wrote:I have photographed a friend's horses a few times and during the day most didn't seem to mind the flash. (A couple got a bit nervous)

At night however - pretty much all were seriously not happy campers.

HTH

Horses are very fickle creatures, and something which will not upset one horse may make another go ballistic. For example, a couple of years ago the family was at a weekend horse event. The horses are kept overnight in little makeshift yards made from starpoles and electrified tape. As evening came on the automatic sprinklers from an adjacent oval started up all at once. It spooked one horse which reared up and landed on top off one of the starpoles which must of pierced its heart because it died on the spot. Non of the other horses did more than give a little start.

In regards to reflectors, I have used reflectors around one horse. At first it was a little nervous but after 10 mins or so it was fine.

I'm no equine psychologist but I'd I always suggest introducing unfamiliar sensory stimuli in a graduated fashion
shakey

Postby Occxlr8ed on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:33 pm

i'd think it depends on the horse....ive only taken one pic of a horse, shot it at 1/4 power, off shoe, right into its face, but it had those flappy things over its eyes. It didn't mind it at all.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/occxlr8ed

Canon 400d + Grip - Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm/2.9, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 550ex, Sunpak 433D + Poverty Wizards
Occxlr8ed

Postby foonji on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 pm

horses don't like ufos. so you should be safe...

...seriously though... ask the owner if the horse is "bomb-proof", if it is, should have no problems at all... if not... have a quick trial with it before doing anything serious :)
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby Biggzie on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm

I took 2 photos near a friends horse, an then it wouldnt get near me. It would walk away everytime I went near the fence and it remembered me next time I visited.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Return to Tips and tricks