fashion shoot lighting tips

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

fashion shoot lighting tips

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:23 pm

wondering if anyone has some suggestions for lighting for a fashion studio shoot I have next week. its all about the garments! mainly female clothing, target market 18-25 age braket, white to grey seamless background. garments all expected to be winter collection, natural tones.

the images will be model standing, no props, faily clean image for garment swing tag and display posters. also will be used for online store.

my thoughts are to fill with the largest light source square on for a full lighting (two 150x50 cm softboxes side by side), perhaps with a round beauty dish shape above camera as the main light. with enough distance to the background to get nice graduated greys, I'll trial this over the weekend. the lighting will need to be a little production line style, so as to minimise changes during shoot, shooting 15 garments in limited time, and a re-shoot is out of the question in terms of timeframe.
Oz_Beachside

Re: fashion shoot lighting tips

Postby jdear on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 pm

not so much lighting but I would stick a colourchecker chart in there and a whitebalance aid to make sure garment colours and correct if they are going to print / publishing.
jdear

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:49 pm

jdear wrote:not so much lighting but I would stick a colourchecker chart in there and a whitebalance aid to make sure garment colours and correct if they are going to print / publishing.

thanks, good idea. i use an expo disc for whitebalance, but I should add a color checker/
Oz_Beachside

Postby jdear on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Ive got a colourchecker you can borrow if you need one.
jdear

Postby jdear on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:50 pm

oops i think your in another state :P
jdear

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 pm

jdear wrote:oops i think your in another state :P

thanks for the offer.

I live down south where its colder :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:40 pm

any other tips on lighting styles? will need to be even, and fairly symetrical. does softstrips each side of camera, about 1/2 stop difference sound like a good starting point? i'll do some tests today, but interested to hear from anyone who has shot fashion/clothing for catalog styles????
Oz_Beachside

Postby wendellt on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm

for catalogue lookbook style the light setup is usually flat and bright so it shows detail in the garment

in that case background optimally white minimised shadows from single light source and flat light

you can do this by just 2 softboxes placed on each side facing 45 degrees towards model
1/4 power 600 watt strobe assuming these camera settings 1/250 f8 -10 this is relative to distance of lights to subject(light falloff)
so dont quote me on these settings its just a starting point

the added beauty dish your thinking of using wont add much to the existing setup unless its power is much more than the other two lights
but if positioned kind of just above you it could add a round catch light to the eyes if the model is looking right at you
and further cut shadow tones on the face, with this setup you will get a very flat evenly lit image

for next time a simpler setup with 1 light a profoto 8foot reflector will give you exactly what you need
minimised shadows, soft even light with added brilliant highlights
place it where your standing and shoot from in front of it
http://www.profoto.com/en/products/ligh ... eflectors/

if you want something slightly edgier
use 2 lights

1 main and the other a secoondary light. I use the beauty dish as my main light, it's placed on the side, closer to the front 45 degrees facing model
and positioned higher than the model, it's tilted down to face model 1/4 power 600 watt output
this will give you sculpted look sharp highlights dark shadows
then on the right side place 2nd light directly facing the side of the model you may have to use barn doors to thin the light otherwise youll just get light spill all over which is good in sometimes in this case not good, this light will give you a defined rim light on the right and it also fills right side of the model
i usually have this one at a lower intensity so the light doesnt cut out the effect of the the dish on the left

then i have a 3rd light behind the model at the side facing the wall, the light spill hits the background and parts of the floor to cut out some of the shadows

this takes a lot of playing around but the point of it is to light from the side more with variable light intensity to get more contrast
lighting from the side also brings out the drape on the garments more theres more defined highlight and shadow(not flat)

example
only dif in this image is the background light number 3 has alight blue gel on it
and theres a 4th light as a hair light but it's not really showing up in these examples
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 am

thanks Master, much appreciated, the detailed explaination is very useful!
thank you
Oz_Beachside

Postby Grev on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 am

I was going to put it into a short answer and say 2 softboxes as wendellt said but he took out the trash already. :lol:
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:30 pm

thanks for the tips, the shoot went well. we had limited shooting time (approx 90 minutes), to get through about 15 outfits with a new team with varying levels of experience, to lots of steep learning curves for all involved. think thats 6 minutes per outfit, so no time for modifying lights once we started.

I went with two large softboxes, one each side, and one to rear left side for some variation over the white backdrop (would love to use a grey seamless next time). very even light, but it was about lighting the garments rather than portraiture, and client wanted a consistent look through the range.

here is a link to the designers site so you can see my shots (mine are the winter 08 shots on white background).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=209536159
Oz_Beachside

Return to Tips and tricks