Photographing a christening

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 am

Alicia has been asked to photograph a friend's baby's christening. Available equipment is D200, 85 1.4; 35-70 2.8; 50 1.8; and SB800 (with small softbox).

She is not sure of ability to use flash and what the interior is like. There is a good chance of very high ceilings and dark walls.

Therefore, assuming low light, any tips? For the shots of the baby by itself, a shallow depth of field often suits allowing wide aperture, thus providing a partial solution. However, there will be group shots required for which the slower zoom will likely be used.

Suggestions? Many thanks
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 am

Dont you have a d700 ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Photographing a christening

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am

Rooz wrote:Dont you have a d700 ?

No, we are so 2006. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Patrick, if you back off and use f2 with the 50mm for a group, you could gain another stop of light compared to the zoom at 2.8?
surenj

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I guess I've done around 20 christenings now and alot of it depends on the priest. Some priests have a huge issue with flash others are fine. Mind you they dont say squat to all the relos popping off their p&s flashes.

I found asking the priest first always helps.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Alicia has been asked to photograph a baby's friend's christening.

Some people start young, don't they?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Available equipment is D200, 85 1.4; 35-70 2.8; 50 1.8; and SB800 (with small softbox).

Does she also have an incident meter available? That might be useful in order to get a better light reading than the reflected that the camera will provide.

If she's able to use the flash and the ceilings/walls are ok, consider placing the flash on a stand or tripod off to the side, pointing upwards to give a broader light source. Dial down the on-camera flash, and use the SB800 as the main source.

Otherwise - and this is a serious question - how's Alicia's hand-holding technique at slow shutter speeds? I can generally get away with 1/15 using a 35mm or 50mm. Perhaps a bit of practice in that realm may be useful?

Tripod or beanbag and remote release?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:49 pm

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:Alicia has been asked to photograph a baby's friend's christening.

Some people start young, don't they?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yep, got that one a bit wrong - but it is the Northern Beaches and they start young up there. :D

Does she also have an incident meter available?
No, only a spot meter and it isn't hers, it is mine :)

If she's able to use the flash and the ceilings/walls are ok, consider placing the flash on a stand or tripod off to the side, pointing upwards to give a broader light source. Dial down the on-camera flash, and use the SB800 as the main source.

She is investigating the ability to use flash, bearing in mind that I believe most christenings involve a bunch o'talkin' and then the actual bit involving the baby is quite short. There will be about 4 other baby's being christened. Given this, I don't like the chances of being able to set up a tripod. If I was there, I could hold the flash for her.

Otherwise - and this is a serious question - how's Alicia's hand-holding technique at slow shutter speeds? I can generally get away with 1/15 using a 35mm or 50mm. Perhaps a bit of practice in that realm may be useful?

Tripod or beanbag and remote release?

I am not sure it would be good enough, with obvious due respect.

Thanks Garya and everyone.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

you got some good glass there Patrick, my first thought would be to borrow a more capable (iso wise) body and use your glass with that, my experience with this kind of stuff is limited, but with that glass and iso 1600 you could get away with it..

Otherwise, off camera would preferrable but then again maybe just using the SB on camera with lots of softening may be adequate too...

any chance of doing a quick scope out of the location before hand?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Patrick,
our youngest was recently Christened and I can tell you that it will be over before you know it.
With four others being done at the same time the Priest will likely be accommodating (to a point) but will want to keep proceedings moving along....so there will be no time to change settings or say "hold on, sorry one more time".

If you can get to the Church prior to the day at around a similar time to when the Christening is to be held (or early on the day) I would speak directly with the Priest and ask if flash is allowed along with where they are happy for you to stand (behind the oarents on the altar would be ideal (so you can see the baby's face instead of the back of it's head)...but is unlikely.....so it will probably be from the aisle near the front row.

I used my trusty D70 with 18-70 kit lens and SB800 flash and the photos turned out just fine, although I didn't really get the chance to set the camera as I would if I were taking the photos (as we had a family friend fire off the shots with the camera on Aperture Priority and flash set to TTL, with the diffuser on to soften the flash).

If you can get there beforehand I would probably set both camera and flash to manual.
With flash off, find the settings (aperture, shutter and ISO) that give you the desired lighting of the background. Probably with the 50mm and a wide aperture will allow enough light in and allow you to frame everyone in the shot.
Note these settings to be used on the day.
Then I'd turn the flash on and in manual mode start at 1/16th and fire off a shot (with a subject standing near the font) and see how this lights them up, and what shadows are created - ask Priest BEFORE doing this...LOL. Then adjust flash output accordingly until you are happy with the subjects lighting.

On the day, you should be able to set the camera and flash to the settings above and you will be free to focus on framing and taking the photos at the appropriate times (during the blessing, during the crying etc.). The Priest may also allow a quick group photo at the font before moving on to the next family....or may be happy to take a few photos after the service.

It will go very quickly so above all, being as prepared as possible is the key!
Also, make sure you're up there and ready as soon as the previous family are finishing so others in the family you're photographing for don't get in your way (with their P&S cameras).

Hope this helps...
Dave
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Geoff on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 am

Hi Patrick,

I'm still alive! If you want, you can borrow my D700 (and if the date of the Christening hasn't been and gone). SMS me if you want to borrow it :)

Geoff.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Geoff wrote:Hi Patrick,

I'm still alive! If you want, you can borrow my D700 (and if the date of the Christening hasn't been and gone). SMS me if you want to borrow it :)

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Good to see you back. The christening was last week and Alicia was unable to attend, in the end. Thanks for the generous offer, nevertheless.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Tips and tricks