Adobe LR 5 released

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Adobe LR 5 released

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Adobe has just announced the release of Lightroom 5.

Same old story from those CLINTS at Adobe. If you live in Australia you get to pay extra.

LR5 upgrade; US $79 Aus $99 - that's 25%
LR5 complete: US $149 Aus $186 - that's 25% too.

I assume the software comes via the same internet download from the same servers.

So much for Senate enquiries into gouging.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: Adobe LR 5 released

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi Trevor,

While there's some padding there (I'm being very restrained) that's not too bad.

The US pricing excludes local taxes, which would typically be around 10%. Add that to the US pricing, and then the picture is slightly less bad.

Which is why it needs LR. :mrgreen:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Adobe LR 5 released

Postby Wink on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 pm

There's no GST on downloaded purchases. The base price is 25% more for the same thing.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby tommyg on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 am

Actually it is only about 15% at the moment, based on exchange rates. Still more expensive, but not as bad as in the past.
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby gstark on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Wink wrote:There's no GST on downloaded purchases. The base price is 25% more for the same thing.

That depends upon from where it's downloaded. If you download from a local business (and Adobe is a local business, and tries to force you to download locally) then I believe that GST will be applied, but is already included in the Au$ pricing.

US law is actually similar: if there's a corporate presence in the state within which you are buying (where you live) and that state imposes a sales tax (I think there's 3 that do not) then sales tax is payable, and will be added to the product price.

Thus: for a US resident, it would be US$79 plus 10% (approx, varies by state) US$7.90 = US$86.90

For a resident of Oz, buying locally, the price would be Au$99 including Au$9 GST.

If a resident of Oz can get access to purchase via a US site, then the pricing should be US$79 plus shipping, which would be 0. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:00 pm

The download site specifically says "No GST payable".

I also notice that the contract is between the buyer and Adobe Ireland. This may have an impact on whether GST is payable here, but would certainly have an impact on Adobe's tax position here and probably world-wide.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 am

gstark wrote:
Wink wrote:There's no GST on downloaded purchases. The base price is 25% more for the same thing.

That depends upon from where it's downloaded. If you download from a local business (and Adobe is a local business, and tries to force you to download locally) then I believe that GST will be applied, but is already included in the Au$ pricing.

The T&C on the site does say if you are outside the US you are buying from Adobe Ireland. Their way of getting around company taxes.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Return to Post Processing