Sony is getting serious.

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sony is getting serious.

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:29 pm

I've just returned home from a Sony media event, where they presented their new Alpha 6300 body ($1700) along with some new glass.

And it was the glass that's truly of interest.

Available in about a month or so, there's a new 24-70mm f/2.8 and an 85mm f/1.4, and due for release in the northern summer there will be a 70-200mm f/2.8.

Many of you will remember the old Minolta brand, which was acquired by Sony quite a few years ago. Since that date, I have heard, many times (from Sony PR, of course) about how Sony is getting serious about their camera range, but we've not seen anything that really brought to the photographer the quality and reputation that came with the Minolta name.

Till now.

I was able to play with the new body and the glass, and it's fair to say that I came away impressed. The build quality and feel of these new lenses seem to me to be the equal of the similar lenses produced by Canon and Nikon. Really nice.

And the A6300's sensor is basically packed to the rafters with AF points, and I wasn't able to see any lag in the digital viewfinder.

The head of Sony's DI was here from Japan to explain to us the design objectives in terms of such things as AF performance and bokeh, and showed some examples of the resolution that these lenses are producing. FYI, they're playing with resolution in the realm of 50 lp/mm, which is very bloody fine.

Basically, this (finally) looks to be the real deal, with the icing on the cake being that tomorrow they're announcing a proper professional plan, similar to those offered by Nikon and Canon.

Expect to pay around 2500 for the 85, and 3500 for the 24-70. No pricing guidance as yet for the 70-200.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Sony is getting serious.

Postby ozimax on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:29 am

I've watched a few reviews of the new 85mm F1.4 and it looks outstanding. However, AUD price looks to be starting around $3300. Ouch! That is stratospheric pricing, as with all Sony products. A7Rii + 85 GM = approx $8000. That's selling two kidneys.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:26 am

I've requested a review unit of a body and some glass; hopefully that will be along before we head off to N'Awlins.

But Leigh was with me at Thursday's event, and we were both impressed with the hardware on display.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:57 pm

gstark wrote:I've requested a review unit of a body and some glass; hopefully that will be along before we head off to N'Awlins.

But Leigh was with me at Thursday's event, and we were both impressed with the hardware on display.

The few portraits that I've seen taken with the 85mm GM were outstanding.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Information