D810 or A7rii

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D810 or A7rii

Postby ozimax on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 am

Greetings all (as Bullwinkle used to say from Frostbite Falls):

I’m thinking of re-jigging my gear. I thoroughly enjoy my 7Dii/100-400 combo but the fact is, it’s a heavy rig and it doesn’t fit too well in my carryon luggage. I shoot with it maybe 2-3 times a year. My daily driver if the little G85 and kit lens.

Robyn and I am heading over to NZ late in January for some long service leave. Two months to travel and shoot landscapes. I’m thinking of buying a monster camera for such a purpose. I can get either of the following cameras (brand new) this week:

Nikon D810 $2700
Sony A7rii $2500

I understand I will need a decent landscape lens (24-70 or 16-35) for each body.

Opinions will be welcomed.

Many thanks,

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: D810 or A7rii

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:03 am

Both are very capable cameras, and either will give you very satisfactory results. My D810 is very underutilised, but it's damn good nonetheless.

Also you need to have a play with the D850. It's well outside of your stated budget (which is why I suspect the 5D isn't included) but it's a truly awesome piece of kit, with the same size/weight of the D810.

Have a play, and then kill me because I infected you with that bug. :biglaugh:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:00 pm

gstark wrote:Both are very capable cameras, and either will give you very satisfactory results. My D810 is very underutilised, but it's damn good nonetheless.

Also you need to have a play with the D850. It's well outside of your stated budget (which is why I suspect the 5D isn't included) but it's a truly awesome piece of kit, with the same size/weight of the D810.

Have a play, and then kill me because I infected you with that bug. :biglaugh:

Thanks Gary. I’m leaning towards the D810. Way too much camera for my skills but it’s a steal at the current price.
ozimax

Postby biggerry on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Both have their merits, my leaning would be to the D810, possible due to lens choice and cost.

Bear in mind the raw file sizes coming out of a D810, you'll need a HDD and 'puter to match.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 am

biggerry wrote:Both have their merits, my leaning would be to the D810, possible due to lens choice and cost.

Bear in mind the raw file sizes coming out of a D810, you'll need a HDD and 'puter to match.

Spot on Gerry. After considering the enormous file sizes, and the state of my OK-but-getting-older laptop, I've decided to stay with the little G85, save the cash and enjoy what I have.

I will admit I have purchased a DJI Mavic Pro to shoot some video/stills around New Zealand. After much research it seems that NZ drone laws are fairly liberal, and I'm looking forward to getting some unusual angles, especially in Golden Bay and the Sounds.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 am

ozimax wrote:I will admit I have purchased a DJI Mavic Pro to shoot some video/stills around New Zealand. After much research it seems that NZ drone laws are fairly liberal, and I'm looking forward to getting some unusual angles, especially in Golden Bay and the Sounds.

Take a few minutes and check with your airline about taking this with you. There will most likely be some restrictions relating to the battery, but there may also be some restrictions that apply to the device itself.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 am

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:I will admit I have purchased a DJI Mavic Pro to shoot some video/stills around New Zealand. After much research it seems that NZ drone laws are fairly liberal, and I'm looking forward to getting some unusual angles, especially in Golden Bay and the Sounds.

Take a few minutes and check with your airline about taking this with you. There will most likely be some restrictions relating to the battery, but there may also be some restrictions that apply to the device itself.

Good idea. I know that all LI batteries have to carried as carry-on. I have 3 spare batteries for the drone.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am

gstark wrote:

Just checked on QF site. LI batteries less than 100 Wh are permitted as carry on with no prior approval necessary and no expressed number limit. LI batteries 100-160 Wh must have contacts taped, and only two pp allowed. Batteries over 160 Wh are not permitted carriage either in checked or carry-on luggage. The Mavic Pro batteries are rated at 43.6 Wh so there shouldn't be a problem.

Having said all this, I will print a copy from the QF website and carry it with me. I've also done this with the NSW National Parks guidelines which seem pretty fair to me. I suppose the bottom line is, don't act like a goose and you won't be treated like a goose! :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby biggerry on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 pm

ozimax wrote:
biggerry wrote:Both have their merits, my leaning would be to the D810, possible due to lens choice and cost.

Spot on Gerry. After considering the enormous file sizes, and the state of my OK-but-getting-older laptop, I've decided to stay with the little G85, save the cash and enjoy what I have.

I will admit I have purchased a DJI Mavic Pro to shoot some video/stills around New Zealand. After much research it seems that NZ drone laws are fairly liberal, and I'm looking forward to getting some unusual angles, especially in Golden Bay and the Sounds.

yeah, whilst the D810 is a brilliant camera.. the file sizes have put me off

enjoy the drone, i hear they are alot of fun just make sure you say within the legal envelope .. grab the RPAS ' Can I fly there' app produced by CASA.. pretty well sums it all up for Oz.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby ozimax on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 am

biggerry wrote:
ozimax wrote:
biggerry wrote:enjoy the drone, i hear they are alot of fun just make sure you say within the legal envelope .. grab the RPAS ' Can I fly there' app produced by CASA.. pretty well sums it all up for Oz.

Have the app. Pretty simple really. The drone is dead simple to fly but the photography side of it will take a long time to master.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I've decided to stick with M43. I have my g85 up for sale and have taken delivery of a shiny new Panasonic G9. After one day of shooting I'm ultra impressed. Coming from a Fuji X series/Canon 7dii recent background, I've always been underwhelmed with ultimate image quality of m43 sensors. The G9 has changed that. It's a step above the G85 (which was very satisfactory in good light). The hi-res mode in particular is phenomenal, but needs a steady tripod and a windless day.

As for video, it's not quite a GH5 but it's not far off. 4k@50/60fps plus 1080@180fps is almost as good a late model smartphone... :biglaugh:
ozimax

Return to General Discussion