Editing 5.5k raw video canon 1dx mark iii or r5???

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Editing 5.5k raw video canon 1dx mark iii or r5???

Postby haring on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am

Is there anybody who owns the new canon 1dx or r5 who has experience editing raw 4k, 5.5k video on computer? Some people claim that rendering footage and editing is extremely hard because of the computing demand of footage? Any real life experience? Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...
haring

Re: Editing 5.5k raw video canon 1dx mark iii or r5???

Postby ozimax on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm shooting a lot more video these days with my EOS R. Even though I've just upgraded to a new MBP 16gb ram etc, I'm still shooting in 1080p. The EOS R file sizes even in 1080p are gigantic. As for 4K, FHD is more than enough for my Youtube needs. Most probably even 720p would be adequate.

As for the Canon EOD R5 files, I'd imagine you would need a pretty decent system with a fast graphics card, tonnes of RAM and a late model processor whatever the brand.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Editing 5.5k raw video canon 1dx mark iii or r5???

Postby zafra52 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 am

I am afraid my photographic and video equipment and knowledge is obsolete by today's standards. I've been out of work for five years. But, my experience showed me that working with high resolution video files requires a decent computer processing power (add a powerful graphic card) with large storage and lots of RAM.
zafra52

Return to Post Processing