[SYD] Hardcore Image Critique Workshop [EOI]

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

[SYD] Hardcore Image Critique Workshop [EOI]

Postby surenj on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:45 am

After the vigorous discussion recently on art, I'd like to propose a small workshop where a few of us gather to do some face to face, honest critique of our best images.

1. Bring 3 of your prints that you think are epic
2. Let others give you written straight-up critique - yes we will write it down vintage style; bring a pen and paper.
3. Have coffee + lunch perhaps
4. no computers allowed (we will do that soon enough though) (well you can bring your phones, cameras and wrist watches I guess...)

You can do fairly cheep prints through officeworks on their 200 odd GSM papers (poster print).

Any takers? Any suggestions or critique? :roll: :mrgreen:
Last edited by surenj on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
surenj

Re: [SYD] Hardcore Image Critique Workshop

Postby Steffen on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:11 am

surenj wrote:1. Bring 3 of your prints that you think are epic

And, I'm out.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 am

surenj wrote:3. Have coffee

And that knocks me out

If that condition is waived, do you have a venue/time yet?
Will there be an "official" critiquer" ( i.e. someone who actually knows what they are doing) in the loop
Surely it would be better to take prints that are OK but not quite there, though you don't know why.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 am

Mr Darcy wrote:

And that knocks me out

Will there be an "official" critiquer" ( i.e. someone who actually knows what they are doing) in the loop
Surely it would be better to take prints that are OK but not quite there, though you don't know why.

The term "perhaps" suggests coffee is not a requirement.

If I get the coffee meet up and running, and although the plan was to concurrently run a film portrait session, the laid back atmosphere of the coffee (a component that you can opt out) meet may suit.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:50 am

Greg, no time or date yet....
Surely you can order tea or other food/drink on the day.

Mr Darcy wrote:Will there be an "official" critiquer"

Not at this stage. Can you think of any VIP? If you do, please let me know the name and I will ask them.

Date and time are not concrete yet but will be decided soon. I am guessing for most, a weekend will be suited although I am pretty flexible these days.
surenj

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 am

Mr Darcy wrote:

And that knocks me out

Greg, there is no one person on this planet that can say that they know what they are doing.

As far as critique is concerned I will give as an example something I showed to 2 friends of mine. One loved what I had done and the other thought it was absolute crap - there’s critique for you. So do I accept the critique of the one who loved it or the one who thought it crap?

Some people will accept critique and others will turn a deaf ear. So when it comes down to the wire critique is as helpful as sand in your cars petrol.

Something that has always amazed me is that if you show a landscape to someone and tell them up front that it is an Ansell Adams the usual retort (from someone who knows of Ansell) will be what a brilliant photo. Give the same photo to a person who is not told that it is an Ansell Adams and nine out of ten times they will say “a nice landscape” without the exuberance attached to the Ansell name.

Forum members have diverse talents in the photographic field. Some are into motor racing, others macro and so on. In each persons field they show a talent that others can only wish for. So, I find it very difficult to honestly comment on a photo that is within a persons field of expertise and outside my own, without feeling a little lost.

So, it comes down to yes I like that photo or I do not. If it is within your own field then one can honestly give a valid critique because they are fully aware of the techniques and results.

Lastly, the oft said phrase, use a different aperture or speed, change your iso etc., etc. This only works within a controlled environment and I am quite sick of hearing these forms of comments applied to a photo that CAN NEVER be replicated. Every environmental photo is a moment in time and will never ever happen again whereas controlled environment shots, i.e.,still life can be replicated and so critique can be very helpful.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:12 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
Lastly, the oft said phrase, use a different aperture or speed, change your iso etc., etc. This only works within a controlled environment and I am quite sick of hearing these forms of comments applied to a photo that CAN NEVER be replicated. Every environmental photo is a moment in time and will never ever happen again whereas controlled environment shots, i.e.,still life can be replicated and so critique can be very helpful.

Chris, what you haven't taken into account is the ability to replicate a style. Simple example: I shoot a landscape in broad daylight at f/1.4 and ISO 3,200. Surely advice that I should shoot at f11 and ISO 200 would be appropriate?
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:

Chris, what you haven't taken into account is the ability to replicate a style. Simple example: I shoot a landscape in broad daylight at f/1.4 and ISO 3,200. Surely advice that I should shoot at f11 and ISO 200 would be appropriate?

I understand your message Patrick but IF you were to shoot in broad daylight with f/1.4 @ 3,200 ISO you would NOT be a photographer :biglaugh:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:

I understand your message Patrick but IF you were to shoot in broad daylight with f/1.4 @ 3,200 ISO you would NOT be a photographer :biglaugh:

Understanding the emoticon, newbies make such mistakes frequently, said from personal experience. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: [SYD] Hardcore Image Critique Workshop [EOI]

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:I shoot a landscape in broad daylight at f/1.4 and ISO 3,200. Surely advice that I should shoot at f11 and ISO 200 would be appropriate?

Or perhaps to take the lenscap off (or the BigStopper which amounts to the same thing :mrgreen: )
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby colin_12 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 pm

This also sounds interesting Suren
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Remorhaz on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm

...and back on track - I'm happy with this idea as well.

When you say "poster" I'm assuming you don't have to print like 90x60 inches. e.g. I have a number of images printed 18x12 which I'd be hoping are large enough for your presumed purposes?

FYI: I know a few people who are photography judges for NSW camera clubs, etc; and they may also know and have contacts with other so called VIP's of the photographic community?
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm

god, do you think anyone could be positive? how about comments about how to MAKE IT WORK.

I would be interested in this just to print a few things out and see how they turn out and take the opportunity to have some others look and comment on a hardcopy. Critique comes in many forms, once you block out the fact that you cannot critique a certain style I think you block out alot. I personally have little value on some so called 'VIP' critiquer - personally I reckon my 2.5 yro bundle of chaos is a pretty darn good critiquer, thats how I select half my pictures now :roll:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Why not just do it Gerry. Critique is based on both the positive and the negative otherwise it would not be critique.
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby mozzie on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 am

I haven't been to a meet in ages but I am interested. Is an utter novice with little to contribute by the way of effective critique welcomed.... also I am not sure i can manage one epic print let alone three
mozzie

Postby ATJ on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:34 am

sirhc55 wrote:Lastly, the oft said phrase, use a different aperture or speed, change your iso etc., etc. This only works within a controlled environment and I am quite sick of hearing these forms of comments applied to a photo that CAN NEVER be replicated. Every environmental photo is a moment in time and will never ever happen again whereas controlled environment shots, i.e.,still life can be replicated and so critique can be very helpful.

Chris, As the vast majority of my shots are environmental I agree with much of what you are saying here. While that particular shot can't be replicated, similar opportunities will arise and knowing what could be done differently is of value.

I know I have learned a lot from critique and based on the feedback I have received have changed the way I take my photographs. Things like soft boxes for softening the light, thinking about the aperture to control depth of field, thinking about the shutter speed to balance the foreground flash with the background ambient light, etc. are all useful for NEXT TIME.
ATJ

Postby surenj on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm

biggerry wrote: MAKE IT WORK

Yes, that was the idea behind this post; brainstorming etc.

biggerry wrote:I would be interested in this just to print a few things out and see how they turn out

This was an ulterior motive. I think it's nice to print pictures out rather than keeping them in your computer and sometimes I've noticed you see them in a different light.... :roll:

mozzie wrote:I haven't been to a meet in ages but I am interested. Is an utter novice with little to contribute by the way of effective critique welcomed.... also I am not sure i can manage one epic print let alone three

You are welcome Mozzie. I don't think your experience etc matters. Think of it as art critique. :mrgreen:
surenj

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas