Portraits with the 105DC

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Portraits with the 105DC

Postby Onyx on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:27 pm

I would like to thank Birddog yet again for his generosity, for loaning this Nikkor 105mm f/2 Defocus Control lens. I had experienced some focus issues initially when paired with my D70 body, as documented elsewhere. But now that that's sorted, I took plenty of trial shots and of my ducks, but hardly anyone's interested in that.

Today, I got to use this lens for what it was meant for - as a portrait lens. I finally got some willing portrait subjects! The Elders from my church dropped by for a visit, so I took some snaps of them (special hello to dooda being the only other LDS I know of on these forums). These were just spur of the moment clicks in my front yard.

Taken at f/2.8, ISO200, Provia curve. No fill flash, -0.7EV on the group shot.

Onyx

Postby MHD on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:29 pm

They're pretty young looking elders! :P

Seriously though, nice shots!

How many strikes did it take to get those hits?
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:44 pm

Onyx,

Finally you've got it, brilliant and nice sharp pics.

I used that lens and the 85/1.4 mostly with portrait shooting over year and only trust those lenses in natural low-light situation and no flash allowed, that why I'm seriously sourcing another Nikon gem 28/1.4. and they are my completed collection kit of prime lens and love them dearly.

28/f1.4 (am sourcing)
50/ f1/4 (currently own)
85/ f.1/4 (currently own)
105DC (On loan to Onyx)
300/ f.28 VR (Pre-ordered list)

Onyx, you can hold on to it for your next event shooting at Darling Harbour as you mentioned or if you want to try the 85/1.4, please stop by.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

a fellow LDS

Postby dooda on Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:08 pm

ONYX

It's funny, you never know what's going to happen when you leak out you're LDS. Glad you mentioned it.
dooda
Party Animal

Re: a fellow LDS

Postby Flyer on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:56 pm

Removed by me :D
Flyer

Postby Onyx on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:16 am

Thx all. MHD - "Elder" is more a position within the hierarchy of the church rather than a reflection of their age (yes, they are young - younger than me!) :D

As for the hit rate: I took 6 shots in total, 3 of which you see here. 1 had brick wall in the back (then I remembered MattK's advice of not shooting portraits with brick walls!) and the rest had blinking subjects.

Birdy - the 28/1.4 was listed as in store & available at European Camera place I visted on the weekend. I think I posted in the bargains section for the Manfrotto 440 (PS. Although you're no longer looking at it, I also noticed the 200/2VR available at the usual suspects - online stores in the US). Thanks again for loaning me this lens. I think it's a little long for the indoor Darling Harbour thing, I'll get in touch with you and see you within this week or next week to return this baby back to you....

Dooda - yes, we might be cast as perculiar outsiders from now on! :lol:
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:33 am

Birdy - the 28/1.4 was listed as in store & available at European Camera place I visted on the weekend.

I saw it since June 04, it's a used lens and they asked for AU$2300.00 no box, manual, and original source as local stock or import. I gave them AU$1800.00 but they did not want the deal. I'm waiting for Mr Poon, he promised he'll get me a new one around 2G with today exchange rate.

(PS. Although you're no longer looking at it, I also noticed the 200/2VR available at the usual suspects - online stores in the US).

I'm ditched it off for the 300/2.8 VR, thanks BTW

Thanks again for loaning me this lens. I think it's a little long for the indoor Darling Harbour thing, I'll get in touch with you and see you within this week or next week to return this baby back to you....

With my pleasure and anytime.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques