Expressions of Interest - 4WD Weekend

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Expressions of Interest - 4WD Weekend

Postby sheepie on Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi all - looking to see if there's enough interest in organising a weekend 4wd'ing in the mountains somewhere around Sydney sometime soon.

We'd keep the group fairly small, and try to make it a good mix between easy/moderate 4wd and scenic locations.
Camping overnight on the Saturday (possibly Friday night if there's interest) and returning to Sydney late afternoon on the Sunday.

You'd need a reasonable 4wd - at least low range, would be fine with standard suspension. Not sure about soft-roaders though, we'd have to see what mix we get of interested people and vehicles :)

Let's know, especially if you have some ideas of locations (I have a few up my sleave). Let me know in your post what sort of vehicle, and what numbers - happy to make it a family weekend.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Expressions of Interest - 4WD Weekend

Postby surenj on Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Great idea Leon. Great to have you back here. :cheers:

No go here. I don't have access to a 4WD or know anything about them.

Good luck with this.
surenj

Postby dawesy on Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 am

I'd certainly be interested, my car doesn't get out enough. Good chance the other half would come along, she's up for going bush and I think I've converted her to camping!

I'm pretty booked up next month or so but I think things settle down a bit after that, will need to have a look at the calendar.

My ride is an old GQ Patrol, 1988 in fact. Has a 2in lift and decent tyres so it's pretty comfortable on most of the stuff we'd be likely to see. As for destination, we could do the Yeranderie run from out Oberon way down to Mitagong. I've also been meaning to get out to the Capertee valley for about 5 years now, though I believe it's pretty easy terrain out there.
dawesy

Postby colin_12 on Mon May 24, 2010 12:41 am

I would be interested Leon.
95 Hilux will go most anywhere.
Top idea :up:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Raskill on Mon May 24, 2010 12:49 am

Could be interested, depending on where the trip might go and work commitments. Be a good opportunity to give the Pajero a day out.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby sheepie on Thu May 27, 2010 11:12 pm

OK - looks like there's enough interest in this to get it happening :) - I was hoping for about 4-5 vehicles, and that's what we've got!

Next issue is when - I'll have a good look at the calendar over the weekend and try to work out a date - stay tuned.

Undecided on location atm, will look into Yeranderie, as that's an area on my list of to-do's. Also keen on Sunny Corner up to Capertee, as that's an area I know is worth visiting from both a driving and camera point of view. Newnes is also a possibility, but that tends to get a little busy (maybe in winter it won't be quite so bad, who knows).
sheepie
Key Member

Postby dawesy on Fri May 28, 2010 12:25 am

Tend to agree re: Newnes, though winter might keep the number down and there is the Glo-worm tunnel to play in. Sunny-Corner up to Capertee could be good, been meaning to get there forever!
dawesy

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri May 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Late spark of interest. I, possibly we, would be interested, but while I have a 4WD (Landrover Discovery) I don't pretend to be able drive it further off road than the road to Kanangra Walls
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Ant on Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:Late spark of interest. I, possibly we, would be interested, but while I have a 4WD (Landrover Discovery) I don't pretend to be able drive it further off road than the road to Kanangra Walls

With Comms and the right crew around you, you shouldn't have any drama's. We used to have a Disco come out with us quite often and it pretty much held it's own amongst Pajero's and the odd Maverick.
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Postby Raskill on Sat May 29, 2010 2:28 pm

I found an old stock route last night. Runs from Gurnang/Jerong area (south of Oberon) down to south of Warragamba, joins onto the Wombeyan caves road that runs from Picton across to Taralga.

Dont know what it's like just now, the map it appeared on was circa 1980. :) I can find out more and post results.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

Raskill

Postby colin_12 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:04 am

sheepie wrote:OK - looks like there's enough interest in this to get it happening :) - I was hoping for about 4-5 vehicles, and that's what we've got!

Next issue is when - I'll have a good look at the calendar over the weekend and try to work out a date - stay tuned.

Undecided on location atm, will look into Yeranderie, as that's an area on my list of to-do's. Also keen on Sunny Corner up to Capertee, as that's an area I know is worth visiting from both a driving and camera point of view. Newnes is also a possibility, but that tends to get a little busy (maybe in winter it won't be quite so bad, who knows).

Hey Leon I just wanted to get this back to where we can find it easily.
Yerrandrie was a let down for me as there is no access past the town for vehicles. The drive there had interesting scenery in places. Going through Jenolan and through to Kanangara and back out to Gurnang may be a bit more interesting. It is also one way to get you to the yerrandrie road. Some may need extra fuel or to fill up before coming along and going on to yerranderie as there is no go go juice out that way. We did a 600+ Km round trip that day.
It would be great to head out soon as this last bout of rain will bring on some cool fungi up that way if they got it.
Any ideas on the when yet?
Regards Colin
colin_12

Postby sheepie on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:51 pm

colin_12 wrote:Any ideas on the when yet?

No, but I haven't forgotten this, just been a little flat out.

How are people placed around the 26th/27th June? (although I think Gary may have something planned that weekend by the looks of it).

As a first weekend out, I'm still leaning towards heading out to Sunny Corner - between Lithgow and Bathurst, emerging at Capertee. That is, unless anyone has any real preferences for somewhere else. Has it's advantages in location, varying terrain (nothing too severe) and I have now been there a couple of times so know basically where to go :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Raskill on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:07 pm

sheepie wrote:As a first weekend out, I'm still leaning towards heading out to Sunny Corner - between Lithgow and Bathurst, emerging at Capertee. That is, unless anyone has any real preferences for somewhere else. Has it's advantages in location, varying terrain (nothing too severe) and I have now been there a couple of times so know basically where to go :)

This is a pretty easy (read very easy) drive mate. Sunny corner to Capertee (via Dark Corner, Palmers Oakey and Turon Gates) can be done by a sedan. Some nice scenery though down along the Turon River, and in the hill country around Palmers Oakey.

Raskill

Postby sheepie on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Raskill wrote:This is a pretty easy (read very easy) drive mate. Sunny corner to Capertee (via Dark Corner, Palmers Oakey and Turon Gates) can be done by a sedan. Some nice scenery though down along the Turon River, and in the hill country around Palmers Oakey.

Yip - although there are a few sections that are a bit of fun :) My aim isn't so much to try to break our vehicles, but have a nice couple of days out driving in some interesting countryside. There's a few reasonable climbs, and a few spots where the ruts are decent enough to get the suspension nice and twisted. Add in a couple of shallow water crossings and it should be a good weekend.

Am happy if the consensus is to go somewhere else - what do others think?
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Raskill on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm happy to do this route. Upside, which escaped me before, is we can finish at the Capertee hotel for an ale, and, if anyone is feeling like a further drive, the Capertee valley or Wolgan Valley is an interesting visit also.

Raskill

Postby sheepie on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Anyone else have preference on weekend before I put this up on the calendar?
sheepie
Key Member

Postby colin_12 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:59 pm

That all looks pretty cool to me.
Regards Colin
colin_12

Postby dawesy on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Sorry haven't been around, still interested but wouldn't be likely to make it that weekend. I have a couple of photographic and social commitments that weekend unfortunately. I won't be offended if it stays on that weekend though ;)
dawesy

Postby sheepie on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 pm

No worries dawesy - if it's not that weekend then it's not going to be until at least the end of July for me - maybe next time!

Looks like it may be just me, Raskil and Colin. Am waiting on one of my mates to get back to me to see if he's interested, so maybe 4 cars at this stage - a good number.

I'll get something posted on the calendar in the next day or so with details, and maybe we'll get one or two more.

I'm thinking I'll camp over at a good spot around Newnes on the Friday night (welcome to join me), and then we can meet at Lithgow on Sat morning. Up through to Turon NP for Sat night, then back past the Wolgan Valley and out at Zig Zag railway on the way home on Sunday.

Some pics from the area I'm intending to cover:

Image Image

Image Image
sheepie
Key Member

Return to Sydney