Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010

Postby biggerry on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I went and checked this out the other day, I can recommend it, there are some stunning images there.

Its interesting to see the gear that these guys use, it would also be interesting to get some stats on it, however to me there was a majority trend to D3's D700's and D300's quite a few canons there too, even a humble 450 - kudos to the person with that camera I say!

It was also pleasantly surprising to see some good aussie photographers featured there, including a member from a aussie forum with a really nice seascape shot :up:

If you have the time check it out, its also great for kids but is pretty packed and chaotic atm due to skool holidays.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/event/Wildlife-Photographer-of-the-Year-2010

Audience Type:
General
Event Type:
Special exhibition
Opens:
4 December 2010
Closes:
13 March 2011

See some of the world’s most spectacular wildlife and nature. From frolicking pelicans to oxen braced for a blizzard, through to signs of first snow on treetops and birds in flight, these photographic images offer an extraordinary insight into the beauty, drama and diversity of the natural world.

With thousands of competition entries from around the world by talented amateur and professional photographers, this is a unique opportunity to experience over 100 candid photographs highlighting nature’s precious wildlife.

Take your virtual journey into the wilderness today – only at the Australian Museum!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010

Postby surenj on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I'd like to pay a visit.

biggerry wrote:Its interesting to see the gear that these guys use

I'd think that frame-rate would be the determining factor for the body.
The availability and affordability of ridiculous lenses would the system determining factor? ie 600 f4/ 800 5.6 etc esp for birdies.
surenj

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Did you check out the My Studio thing ? The BYO camera take shots of still life and live insects and spiders etc ? Sounds interesting.
Alpha_7

Postby biggerry on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:Did you check out the My Studio thing ? The BYO camera take shots of still life and live insects and spiders etc ? Sounds interesting.

yeah, its more geared towards P&S i think, realistically you could get better shots out in Hyde park, however they do have a nice array of props :roll: macro lens is a must...

to be honest I spent more time chasing after a 17 month old in a lady beatle cape or a bee cape than looking at the spiders and insects :roll:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm

biggerry wrote:to be honest I spent more time chasing after a 17 month old in a lady beatle cape or a bee cape than looking at the spiders and insects

:rotfl2: You can use the macro lens as a dual purpose tool.
surenj

Postby Jiana_05 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 pm

I think I am so late to visit this link. This URL is showing page not found error. Thanks to my friend who is Port Macquarie Photographer and attended this award ceremony. He offered awesome stuff to show me.
Jiana_05

Return to Sydney