Tracey Moffatt - Up in the sky

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Tracey Moffatt - Up in the sky

Postby biggerry on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 pm

21 May – 18 Sep 2011
Free admission

Tracey Moffatt is arguably one of Australia’s most successful international artists, known for her film, photography and video works. Drawing on cinema, television and the media, her art is as likely to be inspired by popular culture and recollections of images from her childhood and adolescence, as it is by art history.

One of her larger photographic series, Moffatt’s Up in the sky 1997 takes many of its visual cues from Pier Paolo Pasolini’s 1961 masterpiece of Italian cinema Accattone. The series of 25 photographs examines the subject of race and violence, presenting a loose narrative set against the backdrop of an outback town populated by misfits and marginal characters. The story hinges on a triangular mixed-race relationship. Unlike previous series, it was shot on location and doesn’t use the scenography that is a feature of her earlier work such as 1989’s Something more.

Tracey Moffatt: Up in the sky is the first display in the Gallery’s new dedicated photography gallery, part of our new contemporary galleries.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/tracey-moffatt/
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Tracey Moffatt - Up in the sky

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks for the link Gerry. It looks interesting
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Plenty of time to check it out. Thanks Gerry.
surenj

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 am

The works of Tracey Moffat are very interesting and she has established herself as a very respected international artist. Many of her works are highly collectible and worth thousands of dollars. I was present when this picture (link below), was made way back in the 1980s. It was made in Wodonga, near Albury in a shed on the border and it was interesting watching her work. She was very sure of herself and very forceful in her directions in putting the scene together. The actual exposure was made be David Cubby, a lecturer in photography at Charles Stuart University and was made on a 5' x 4' view camera. Only 2 or 3 exposures were made as David was a skillful photographer in his own right. This particular image, I think, is one that defines her style. I was privileged to be able to be present during the creation of this image and I was also privileged to be able to photograph the proceedings, which I did from a high vantage point. Tracey was very unsure of my intentions and David had to constantly reassure her that I would not publish the photographs. Unfortunately I'm unable to locate the black and white exposures I made on 35mm film. They are buried in my junk somewhere in the garage....probably full of mould and damp. The backdrop was painted by a charming, bearded fellow called (from memory) John Richardson who was student of painting at Charles Stuart. He died a few months later from kidney failure. He was very talented and a great drinking companion. Life moves on. Tracey is the woman in the red dress in the image.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 05&bih=482
Last edited by Matt. K on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Great insight Matt, there is something I never knew about Tracey or...for that matter, you. :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Sydney