camera cleaning

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

camera cleaning

Postby jan on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi - anyone know where I can get my SLR camera (Pentax) cleaned before leaving for overseas on 10th Jan? I don't want to send it off to Melbourne now - won't get it back before we leave.
The issue is a couple of spots (which are not on the lens)
jan

Re: camera cleaning

Postby ATJ on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Don't C.R. Kennedy have an office in Sydney?

The quickest alternative is to clean it yourself. It is a bit scary the first time but ends up being very easy. See: CCD/CMOS Cleaning Tutorial. You can get what you need from Quality Camera Sales.
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I second cleaning it yourself. It is by no means as difficult as it seems before you try.
Have a look at this site. It covers most of the methods out there. I use the second.

The spots are commonly known as "dust bunnies". They are at their worst when you stop down (f-stop: f/8...f/32) so you can minimise their effect by using your camera with the lens wide open.

Where in the Blue Mountains? I may be able to lend you cleaning gear, though I only have the Nikon crop sensor paddle. It may or may not be the right size for your Pentax.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:Where in the Blue Mountains? I may be able to lend you cleaning gear, though I only have the Nikon crop sensor paddle. It may or may not be the right size for your Pentax.

Actually it will be a perfect fit...the Pentax cameras other than the K20 and K7 (which use Samsung sensors) use Sony sensor cores that are also shared with Nikon cameras, and all of the sensor's are 1.5 crop like your Nikon's Greg!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Sydney