Recommendations for lighting training in Sydney?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Recommendations for lighting training in Sydney?

Postby simonrenton on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum, and have had a few years as an ametuer tog around Oz and in my travels around the world. I recently decided I want to take the photography side of my life a lot more seriously and one aspect that I have never really explored has been professional lighting gear.

I am looking for some recommendations on good lighting courses around Sydney if anyone is aware of them or if there are good online training courses that are just as good?

I hope this question hasn't already been answered somewhere else! I did a search and couldn't see anytrhing directly related to this question.

Looking forward to hearing from other members.

Simon
simonrenton

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Simon, welcome. You should be able to use this forum as a very helpful and valuable learning resource.

Infrequently, members of this forum hold portraiture sessions where we learn the use of lighting gear, techniques, etc. I have been to one and found it very valuable.

Also, you may want to check out a book: "Light - Science & Magic" - go a third of the way down the page. I find it a very good book.

Hope that helps
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:18 pm

Check out strobist.blogspot.com for lighting tutorials as well as fundamentals. Really popular site nowadays. Deals mainly with speedlights though rather than studio strobes but theory still applies, in a way.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:35 pm

if you are interested, check the calendar, we have a workshop on January 19 in Melbourne
Oz_Beachside

Postby simonrenton on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks Beachside. I;ve posted a question on your thread about the day.
simonrenton

Postby Benny2707 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

The Australian Centre of Photography in Sydney (Oxford St, Paddington to be precise) hold lighting courses. A freind of mine who is pretty hand behind the back of his 5D took one and raved about it.
Benny2707

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions