Buying my first DSLR

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Buying my first DSLR

Postby rach91177 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi recently I have been taking tons of photos with my digital camera and have been playing around with photoshop. I have been thinking about upgrading to a DSLR and taking my ametur photography more seriously. Where should I start should I do a course? what camera should I buy? should I join any groups? If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated

Rachel
:D
rach91177

Re: Buying my first DSLR

Postby StarForge on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm

You're about to embark one the most exciting parts of phtoography, the transition to a DSLR, I'm just thinking back to when I made the change hehe.

I found http://dpreview.com/ very helpful in helping me make my decision on what camera to get and also I joined many Flickr.com groups. The community here is fantastic, just post an image and you'll get really helpful tips.

Most important of all is go out and take more photos, learn your camera's controls and its limits :up:
StarForge

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Rachel,

Where is Point Cook?

What sort of digital do you currently have, and in what ways do you believe it to be lacking?

What sort of images do you like to make, and why do you think that moving to a DSLR might improve them? Have you had a play with any DSLR cameras as yet?

What about your budget? $1000? $10000??

What benefits do you think you might obtain through doing any course?

It's a very worthwhile exercise to wander in to a camera store and have a play with some, but not until you've considered some of these questions first. That will allow us to help point you at some cameras to use as a starting point.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chaase on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

rach91177 wrote:Where should I start should I do a course?
:D

I did an "Introduction to Digital Photography" at the local TAFE last year which was great benefit as it went right into the basics and then more advanced. It went for 6 weeks one night a week. This was in Berwick however I am sure there would be something around near you or even in the city.

Try Google introduction to digital photography Melbourne I got a few results.

Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby rach91177 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Wow thanks for the swift replies. Will have a look at that site. Im looking at spending $1000-1500 on a camera and I thought an introductory course might help me understand some basic photography jargon and principles and give me some confidence with the camera. At the moment I only have an olympus sp550uz which is good for taking basic photos but I want to do more than take basic photos I want to be able to take awesome photos.
rach91177

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm

THe most important thing, IMO, with a camera body is the ergonomics. Go to a shop and work out how they feel in your hands. Do the controls make sense etc.

For lenses, start with a kit lens until you get a feel for what you want to photograph. After that the sky is the limit, but your first lens will give you clues as to where you want to go from there. More by want it can't do than what it can. Do you want to shooot in lower light than it can handle happily? Do you wish it had more zoom, or went wider or get closer to your subject? etc.

WHen you are looking, keep an eye to the future. This probably won't be your last DSLR. Is there an upgrade path in bodies? in Lenses? will my old lenses fit my future camera? etc. (Lenses last longer than bodies these days)

Keep in mind you will also want to budget for accessories. Perhaps not straight away, but you may want better/off-camera flash, a tripod/monopod, filters, lens cleaners; sensor cleaners. And they say buying a boat is like buying a hole in the ocean to pour money into :roll:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby paulmac on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Just buy a Canon, you'll be right from there! :lol:

You'll get lots of the "Nikon is better than Canon" (or vice-versa) banter. It has about as much worth as Holden versus Ford...People tend to stick with a brand they're used to, or because a parent had it, etc. (to be honest, that's why I went Canon: my Dad. And he gave me a few lenses too!)

As Mr Darcy said, go and spend the time (not during lunch time...) wandering the camera shops in Elizabeth St, and have a feel (literally) of the different cameras.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed though. There are so many choices, and dpreview (and flikr) is one of those sites that will consume vast amounts of your time with the wealth of knowledge there.

Don't forget to put the 28th of this month in your calendar for the Melb meet. Should be a dozen or so of us turning up.
paulmac

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Don't forget to put the 28th of this month in your calendar for the Melb meet. Should be a dozen or so of us turning up.

And if you haven't bought by then, I'm sure they will all let you play with their baby, as well as run you through its paces. Don't be put off if you only have a P&S. You won't be the first one. I have definitely seen P&S'sers at the Sydney meets. I've even seen people with no camera at all.

Just buy a Canon, you'll be right from there! :lol:

NO NO NO buy a nikon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby rach91177 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Ive been doing some research and I like the Nikon D60 will try to get to the shops over the weekend and have a play. Is this an appropriate camera to start with?
rach91177

Postby StarForge on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:36 pm

My first DSLR was a D40 and if the D60 follows in its footsteps I'd recommend it. Its a small DSLR, fits well in most hands comfortably and is very light. The 18-55mm kit lens is pretty good and you'll eventually want to get a zoom lens of some sort, but I went over a year before getting another lens and I was happy.
The D60 only has 3 focus points, but you can always focus and recompose (though I'm sure people have something to say about that). The only major limitation of the D60 would be the lack of the servo motor for older AF lenses. Even though I've replaced my D40, I still take it everywhere with me :D
StarForge

Postby Chaase on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:41 pm

When you looking at cameras check out the Canon 450D
They are a smaller camera than some of the others ideally suited for women (my wife likes using my 400D (previous model. I think Nikon have an equivelent which I am sure someone in here can tell you.

Some of these packages are very good and seriously worth considering, http://photobuff.com.au/index.php?main_ ... cPath=7_14
I have got all my gear from them and the service is excellent, you will find their prices lower than most of the city retailers.

As an entry level DSLR you will struggle to get better

Cheers
Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions