Hot pixels?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Hot pixels?

Postby Photopotamus on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:48 pm

All,

Just a question... I have noticed that when I'm taking shots with long exposure times, I seem to have a few "hot pixels". Since they seem to "move around", and are not "fixed", I assume that they're not dust. Also, they are frequently a single colour (green & magenta mostly).

The bit of Googling I've done suggests that while this phenomenon is inherent to all sensors, those with higher pixel densities (like mine) are also more susceptible. So my questions are:

Is this something we just learn to deal with in post (clone out, etc)?

Is it an issue that you run into frequently? Maybe there's something wrong with my technique...? :oops:

Thoughts & comments appreciated.
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Re: Hot pixels?

Postby gstark on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 am

You are spot on in your diagnosis of these as being hot pixels, and it's an issue directly associated with shooting for longer exposure times.

In terms of "longer exposure times", could you please quantify this? (how long?)

Canons generally handle this problem better than Nikons, but if your exposure times are pushing the edge, then this may well be something that you're going to have to learn to address in your workflow.

Let's also come back to basics for a moment: what are you shooting? do you need to use long exposure times?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Photopotamus,

Are you referring to photos taken during the VIVID walk?

Also some examples would be useful.
surenj

Postby JC_Denton on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Some postprocessing software (such as Ligthroom) automatically detects and removes hot pixels from RAW files. In my experience Lightroom has been very good at this, there are also some free applications that do something similar like this http://www.pixelfixer.org/

Many DSLRs also have a long exposure noise reduction feature, which means the camera will take a second exposure without opening the shutter in order to work out where the hot pixels are, and then subtract them from the previous exposure. I have never used this feature myself, so I'm not sure how well it works or whether it works on RAW files.

Another way of reducing hot pixels is apparently cooling the sensor in some way, but this is risky as far as I know, and is mainly used by astronomical photographers for really long exposures.
JC_Denton

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions