The Crema Challenge - People and Coffee

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

The Crema Challenge - People and Coffee

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 pm

As many of you would know, Feldy, a member here, publishes Crema Magazine, which is a high quality lifestyle magazine with a strong bent towards good coffee. And many of you, like me, enjoy a good cup of coffee, as well as good photography.

Feldy has contacted me and offered to help us with a challenge with a bit of a difference, combining our love of good coffee with our love of photography: the prize will be publication in the next (Autumn) issue of Crema Magazine. What's on offer is a full page for the winner, a half page for the runner up, and a quarter page for the third place getter.

The theme for this challenge is that the image must be set in a commercial setting, and it must depict either the relationship between the customer and their coffee, or the relationship between the customer and the coffee shop. How this is depicted is open, but it should be evident within the image that the setting is within a commercial environment, and the image needs to try to depict one the other of these relationships. If you have any doubts with respect to your image concept, then our usual method of providing a pre-qualification opinion is open to you, and should be used.

Judging for this challenge will be a little different from the norm, in that Feldy and I will be the joint judges of the images entered.

Entry for this challenge is as per the usual qualifications, meaning that any full member may enter, excepting of course that, because of the different method of adjudication being used for this challenge, clearly it is not appropriate for either of the admins (or Feldy) to enter. The usual restrictions apply on EXIF data included in your images, and no identifying information should appear in either the image, nor within any of the EXIF data. At this point, only global actions within Photoshop (or similar PP applications) are permitted.

I still have some housekeeping issues to address, so I will let you know shortly about how and where to upload your entries, but the challenge will accept entries with images made commencing today (January 8, 2007) and up to and including January 31.

Any general questions, please ask within this thread ... any specific image related questions should be directed to me via PM. These rules are, as always, subject to review.

Go forth and shoot.

Melbourne Photoshop Workshop

We're trying to organise a photoshop workshop - and perhaps a bit more - for our Melbourne members. Please visit this thread for more details and to register your interest in this.
Last edited by gstark on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Gary perhaps you could include rules regarding submission of urine samples to make sure contestants do not overstep the caffeine doping levels. :lol:

Cool comp and given the proliferation of cafes around our fair country, something we will all be able to photograph.
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Perfect timing!

I'm heading up to Noosa next week, with a cafe or two to visit up there ... in regards to 'relationship between the coffee and the customer', how much of the customer has to be seen?
mattyjacobs

Postby Geoff on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 pm

Since I heard that this comp had coffee invovled in it, I've bean very excited about it and enthusiastic. Great comp theme and idea. :D
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 pm

mattyjacobs wrote:in regards to 'relationship between the coffee and the customer', how much of the customer has to be seen?

I can certainly see potential for an image wgere there would be very little of the customer evident in the image, but the coffee, and a relationship, would be quite evident, so I guess it doesn't have to be a whole lot, but the evidence of a relationship would certainly need to be evident.

Willy wombat wrote:make sure contestants do not overstep the caffeine doping

Surely you mean "understep" ? :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:57 pm

gstark wrote:I can certainly see potential for an image wgere there would be very little of the customer evident in the image, but the coffee, and a relationship, would be quite evident, so I guess it doesn't have to be a whole lot, but the evidence of a relationship would certainly need to be evident.

Awesome. I've had some ideas for something like this for a while ... if it all works out for me, I'll definately enter!
mattyjacobs

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Remember too, though, that it has to obviously be within a commercial setting.

I can see that this could be overlooked within the scenario that I have in mind as noted above, but I can also see how I might make that image to ensure that this rule is observed.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 pm

It'll definately be in a commercial setting, but how clear does that have to be?
mattyjacobs

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 pm

mattyjacobs wrote:It'll definately be in a commercial setting, but how clear does that have to be?

It needs to be evident that it's a commercial setting. A casual viewer, looking at the image, should be easily able to determine this fact.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:21 pm

ok, thanks for that ... might have to adjust my ideas a bit ...
mattyjacobs

Postby Yi-P on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 pm

Gary, can you please clarify the meaning of 'commercial setting' ?

Does that mean that we must include brand names of coffee shops? Or be more over like stock photo like?

If so to include any business' name or identifiable location of the shop or person, shall we ask for permission (model/property releases) for the shooting beforehand? Since this is going published if it ever gets selected.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Yi-P wrote:Does that mean that we must include brand names of coffee shops?

Not necessarily. What does a coffee shop look like, in comparison with, for instance, a domestic kitchen? There's a big difference, I might suggest, and one should be easily able to discern the differences with little more than a passing glance.

Similarly, there might be a window with signwriting, on a street frontage, on it in the background, or it might be a street cafe, or perhas tghere's a big commercial espresso machine on a countertop ...

And none of those instances fit into my earlier scenario.

I think I've said more than enough - it's a challenge, after all, and you're the one who needs to work out how to best address the problems thbat the challenge presents to you.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 am

Great challenge Gary,

It will likely require more work and setup, for me anyway, but there should be some interesting results in the end. I had been wondering about that challenge listed in the events :? Now the beans have been spilled :roll:

thanks also to Feldy for sponsoring this,

Good luck to all,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Tea drinkers...please don't interfere. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:49 pm

So, if I charge my wife for her hot chocolate (and issue a tax invoice) does that make it a commercial setting?

Well, I think this comp pretty much excludes me as I don't really have a relationship with any coffee shop! :cry:

P
Reschsmooth

Postby sheepie on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Well, I think this comp pretty much excludes me as I don't really have a relationship with any coffee shop! :cry:

P

Maybe you should consider having an affair ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:01 pm

But then I would be lowering my standards :lol:

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Killakoala on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:But then I would be lowering my standards :lol:

P

OUCH!!!!!!

Hmmm, coffee and photography. Two of my three hobbies most favorites things in the world. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Killakoala wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:But then I would be lowering my standards :lol:

P

OUCH!!!!!!

See, the problem I have is that I have only been to 1 cafe in the last who-knows-how-long that served decent coffee, and given their location, they are very, very busy and may not appreciate someone stuffing about with a camera in their store. And I don't necessarily want to take a photo of a place that I get some coffees from where it is only a function of convenience rather than good coffee, if you know what I mean?

Y'see, I had an idea for this, but the commercial setting part of it has thrown that out the window...

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Go to a Starbucks with BYO.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:18 pm

Reschsmooth
A relationship with a waitress at a coffee shop would make you elegible!
:D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Matt. K wrote:Reschsmooth

I can't help but wonder what Mrs Reschsmooth might think about that. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:11 am

gstark wrote:
Matt. K wrote:Reschsmooth

I can't help but wonder what Mrs Reschsmooth might think about that. :)

I don't think there is any doubt as to what Mrs Reschsmooth would think! (And I am not going to prove it). :lol:

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:15 am

Gary, I think your wording makes it pretty clear, but to avoid ambiguity, I thought I would ask: the "customer" can be anyone, not necessarily the contestant?

Cheers

P
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Gary, I think your wording makes it pretty clear, but to avoid ambiguity, I thought I would ask: the "customer" can be anyone, not necessarily the contestant?

Patrick,

Yes, and due to the requirements for anonymity of the contestant (entrant), I would think it's highly unlikely that the customer and entrant would be the same individual.

Note too that within this context, if a family member of your's is known to other members here, that might be likely to affect this aspect too.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 am

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:Gary, I think your wording makes it pretty clear, but to avoid ambiguity, I thought I would ask: the "customer" can be anyone, not necessarily the contestant?

Patrick,

Yes, and due to the requirements for anonymity of the contestant (entrant), I would think it's highly unlikely that the customer and entrant would be the same individual.

Note too that within this context, if a family member of your's is known to other members here, that might be likely to affect this aspect too.

Thanks Gary, and you have explained the reasons why I asked :lol:
Reschsmooth

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:06 pm

PP Question...

Can anyone dumb down "Global Actions" for me?

Is adjustment of levels, contrast, brightness, colors, considered global?

Can layers be used, but not masked?

Does global mean ANY change can be made, provided the entire "layer" or "image" is selected?

I'm thinking it means no touch ups, and no blending of layers etc. No masking of layer to apply an "adjustment" to one section of the image from another.

Am I on track?
Oz_Beachside

Postby daniel_r on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:
Can layers be used, but not masked?

Does global mean ANY change can be made, provided the entire "layer" or "image" is selected?

I'm thinking it means no touch ups, and no blending of layers etc. No masking of layer to apply an "adjustment" to one section of the image from another.

Am I on track?

I think you are... :D

I've always interpreted the global rule as if the the action will or has the ability to influence every pixel in the in the image (ie adjusting brightness can/will influence the whole picture). Curves also in my interpetation are a global action.

Not allowed as my interpretation is something like an area selected by colour, some feathering on the selection, layer this and and that etc - so small area layers are out. Say you also clone the background layer and play around with it etc and then blend it back for extending dynamic range and so forth, I've always not bothered incase it gets snagged up by the multiple frames rule.

My simplest guide is to limit any post processing to that which is obviously global, and what's achievable by the simpler editing tools. As I interpret it, it's actually the image and your ability to capture something that meets the core ideals of the challenge rather than how masterful you are of the more advanced aspects of Photoshop :D
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 pm

daniel_r wrote:As I interpret it, it's actually the image and your ability to capture something that meets the core ideals of the challenge rather than how masterful you are of the more advanced aspects of Photoshop :D

Daniel,

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Thank you.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:48 am

that what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Willy wombat on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Quick question - Has the gallery for this challenge been organised yet?
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
Willy wombat

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Steve,

Not as yet.

Scott will be on to it pretty soon, once he gets over his jetlag. :)

I'd expect it to be operational by early next week, giving you lots of time to upload your image.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks Gary

Im sure I will leave this till the last minute anyway
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
Willy wombat

Postby mattyjacobs on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 am

umm ... do I have to register somewhere to login to the gallery?

I tried my dslrusers.com login name and password, but that didn't work.
mattyjacobs

Postby radar on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:39 am

mattyjacobs wrote:umm ... do I have to register somewhere to login to the gallery?

I tried my dslrusers.com login name and password, but that didn't work.

Matty,

have a read of the challenge rules, goes over all that:

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=4753

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby mattyjacobs on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:47 pm

ahh, thanks mate.

First time I've done this ... didn't know where to look.

cheers!
mattyjacobs

Postby MHD on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 pm

You should be registered now...

And two notes to all...
*Get your entries in early, you can delete an entry and submit a new one if you want
*Dont forget to hide your entry
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby mattyjacobs on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi MHD,

I uploaded my entry, but it seems to have resized it to thumbnail size.

I also clicked the tab that said 'hide image' or sommat like that, so I hope it's hidden ... Sorry, I'm a competition virgin ...
mattyjacobs

Postby BT*ist on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:10 pm

I was wondering what the procedure was for getting the entry 'validated' if it's a little more than PG-rated
BT*ist

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:14 pm

BT*ist wrote:I was wondering what the procedure was for getting the entry 'validated' if it's a little more than PG-rated

That sort of thing has rarely been an issue here. Please send a PM to Scott (MHD) to let him know what you have in mind (or have done) and he can take it from there.

Because of the different nature of this challenge, we may decide to refer this to Ashley, but Scott should be your first port of all in this regard.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby BT*ist on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks - will do!
BT*ist

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:01 pm

have I missed something, or is there any word on when the winner will be announced?
mattyjacobs

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:14 pm

mattyjacobs wrote:have I missed something, or is there any word on when the winner will be announced?

You've probably missed this.

I'm still open to suggestions ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mattyjacobs on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm

ok, thanks
mattyjacobs

Return to Announcements