Qld Floods. Again.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Qld Floods. Again.

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 am

The stories coming out of Queensland over the last few days indicate a level of weather events such as we rarely see. Certainly, the tragedy that hit Toowoomba yesterday defies my imagination.

I hope that all of our members, and your families, are safe and well.

And for those of us with no real understanding of what's happening here, the Boston Globe has published some images here. The subjects in these images will bring home some of the impact of what's happening to our friends and families in the north, but there's more; many of these images are from Getty and Reuters, and as such, they exemplify the quality of our hobby as well.

Enjoy these images, but also please think about what our neighbours are having to deal with.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Qld Floods. Again.

Postby surenj on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

Only today have a realised how serious these floods are. I have friends who are currently trapped in the small town of Gimpe. At least they have water, power, telephone lines and food supplies (through the grocer who gets stocked by boat?).

Let hope the rain stops soon.
surenj

Postby Killakoala on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 am

My sister and her four kids live in Linville near the northern reaches of the Brisbane river, but thankfully as the floodwaters lap her house, she and the kids are safe and sound at my house in Tassie. She won't be going home any time soon though as there is no way she can get back until the waters recede.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Geoff M on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 am

All good here..so far! I live on a mountain so should be OK, having said that Toowoomba is on higher ground than me so who knows what will transpire. All access roads to Tamborine Mountain (four of them) are impassable to either swollen creeks, landslides or fallen powerlines so we are stuck here for a while.

I work on the mountain within 5 mins drive of home so no need to travel too far. The route I took this morning had a creek flowing over the road, so will no doubt need to take the long way home tonight.....about 10 mins drive :D
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:11 pm

And here's some video of the flash flood occurring.

Makes you wonder how those people got home.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Chaos & panic in Brisbane. Water levels expected to rise quickly over next two days to levels higher than 74 flood.

Computer modelling indicates that around 7000 properties will be affected.

Parts of CBD being evacuated; my wife who works at a hospital told not to go to work tomorrow as it is expected that it will not be reachable.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:39 am

Trevor,

Listening to Auntie this morning, suggested that your area may be in a spot of bother?

For all of our Qld and Northern NSW members, please take no risks, and stay with your loved ones, and stay safe.

Our thoughts are with you.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:10 pm

No Internet; posting by iPhone. Spent today helping people evacuate. Moved my car to higher ground. We will be OK as long as we have power. Have counted 50+ pontoons floating past, some complete with jet skis or boats. Quite surreal. Water lapping the bottom of my property now; level currently 4.16 meters & will peak tomorrow am at 5.5 meters. Might be interesting then!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the update.

Look after your family and yourself. Property is not all that important, in the overall scheme of things.

Take care.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Being unable to help anyone in any other way, I have resorted to a donation. I encourage everyone else to do the same. :cheers:
surenj

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Gary! Some poignant images there! The power of photography to take us to a place is evident here. The loss of stock and wild life must be staggering!!! Bloody hell...from drought to this in a matter of weeks is just unbelievable!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Mother nature is really not happy with QLD...my thoughts are with our QLD members...hopefully they pull through alright.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:10 pm

For a bit of lightheartedness in all of this...at least King Wally is ready:

http://qldfloods.org/sites/default/files/KingWallyStatue.jpg

:biglaugh:

It is really amazing seeing photos of places that I am somewhat familiar with being so far undewater, and so close to the centre of Brisbane. I really feel for the people who undergo such tragedy, even if it only relates to property. This relates to this, and all other natural disasters that we witness.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:For a bit of lightheartedness in all of this...at least King Wally is ready:

http://qldfloods.org/sites/default/files/KingWallyStatue.jpg

Classic Qld humour there Patrick; thanks for posting that.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Announcements