A summer day

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A summer day

Postby gstark on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:30 pm

I cannot believe the weather in this country.

Today it's 40C outside, and driving around Sydney .... well, I almost thing that walking would be quicker, such is the traffic congestion that I've just been fighting through. How about 50 minutes to cover the maybe 4 or so kilometers from Alexandria to Bondi Junction.

O'Riordan St - ok, but getting from there to South Dowling ... fergedaboudit. Total chaos.

South Dowling to Cleveland St: view the speed limit as an unattainable challenge.

Cleveland St to Lang Road: you may reach a speed that exceeds you walking pace.

Lang Road to Oxford St. Please sit back and relax while the lights change. And change again. And again.

Oxford St to Syd Einfeld Drive. The sometimes have a mobile speed camera there, alongside Centennial Park. And park is what everybody there is doing, so it seems; certainly there's little movement amongst the vehicles.

This day, seriously, reminds me of some summer days when my father was alive (he passed on when I was seven) when we would go to the swimming pool at Victoria Park (opposite Broadway). Very sunny, very hot. I can fondly remember the hot dogs that we would have. Total crap, most likely, but still a fond memory nonetheless.

While we're enjoying what I consider to be an old style Sydney hot summer day, we have those in FNQ recovering from the largest tropical cyclone on record, those a little less in the deep north recovering from the floods, and those in Victoria suffering storms and flash floods overnight.

Is this a crazy country or what?

Please, share your summer thoughts and wishes .... and, of course, your summer images.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: A summer day

Postby Remorhaz on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:34 pm

gstark wrote:.... and, of course, your summer images.

I would but the sun has melted my film :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Jenno on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 pm

This is how it started
26 degrees at Avalon this morning.
First time I can remember my shirt being wet from sweat whilst capturing a sunrise :shock:

Jenno

Postby aim54x on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Ray, that sweat was worth it!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:21 pm

gstark wrote:(he passed on when I was seen)
:shock:

Do you think that says something about you Gary?
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 am

Mr Darcy wrote:
gstark wrote:(he passed on when I was seen)
:shock:

Do you think that says something about you Gary?

Yeah.

But not the more obvious. :)

Typo fixed; thanks.

And I made three more (corrected)typos while just typing this message.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 am

We had snow overnight and it's only 10.7 DegsC here (Sth Tas) right now at 1100 in the AM. (I'll check to see if there was indeed snowfall when the cloud clears from the top of Adamsons Peak, which I can see from my home.)

Summer has been lovely for us here in the Huon. No floods, no cyclones, no extremely hot weather, just day after day of lovely mildness, 20-22 degs everyday. (Until today) :)

I'm glad I chose to live here. :lol: Sure beats sweating for a living.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby surenj on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm

The promised cold change seems to be here.
surenj

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:17 pm

There are 3 things that we seem to bitch about:

Politics

The weather

and last but not least - everything else
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Steve
Nice to hear you are settled in and happy about where you are living. Enjoy that cool weather...go take some photographs of your surroundings and post then here so that we can all get jealous....
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ozimax on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 pm

sirhc55 wrote:There are 3 things that we seem to bitch about:

Politics

The weather

and last but not least - everything else

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Very true. I often think of my friends in northern Thailand. It's 40C+ for much of the year. Having said that, I am ensconced in my hotel in Carlsbad, CA, after a magnificent sunny socal day touring the locality. Temp about 19C which is very nice.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby dawesy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 pm

It's OK, I know the heat won't be back - I bought myself a portable air-con unit today to make my place livable. That's an iron clad guarantee the mercury won't go over 25 again all summer!
dawesy

Postby biggerry on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Nice shots Ray - the last I like quite a bit, lovely colour on the sand.

Summer at Gerrys joint....with no aircon

the hottest in the shade temperature I have seen for years

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm

WHOA Gerry...that was a scorcher to get 40+ in the shade
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Killakoala on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 am

Just in case anyone living in hot areas wonders if it's cooler down south, here is a link to my home weather station details. The temps are accurate. :)

http://www.users.on.net/~skilburn/index.htm
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 am

Steve,

What is the tech behind that, please?

Hardware, software, connection details, etc. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would be interested in that.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Not sure what Steve uses, but this is the one I have been lusting after for several years.
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantagepro.asp
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby radar on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:37 pm

gstark wrote:What is the tech behind that, please?

The one that Steve lists on his web page is the Davis Vantage Pro2 or that's what he says on there anyway. That is also the one that Greg is lusting for :-)
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Killakoala on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

gstark wrote:Steve,

What is the tech behind that, please?

Hardware, software, connection details, etc. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would be interested in that.

Thanks for the interest.

The weather station in question is a Davis Vantage Vue, not a Pro2 as it says on the web page. (The naming convention is just an anomoly with the software due to the two different stations using the same data logger and I can't change it. A software update may fix that.)
http://www.vantagevue.com/products/index.asp

I purchased the weather station from Westmarine in California, because purchasing locally costs an arm and a leg.

The image on my weather web page is of my own weather station, which is mounted above my rather large TV antenna.

The weather station comes in two parts, the integrated sensor system and the console. They link via wireless which has a range of 300m. I installed an optional data logger in the console which connects to a laptop via USB. The software I use to view the comprehensive information is freeware called Cumulus, from Sandaysoft (http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus.) The Davis Data logger comes with Weatherlink software which is good, however I am unable to use the logged data on my own website using that software. (It can be displayed online, but to specific US-centric websites.)

The webpage is made from a template provided by the Cumulus software. The only changes I made to it was the background image and contact email details.

The webpage is updated every two minutes, however it is easy to change this to whatever time I choose.

I also upload data to;
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... ITASMANI33
and
http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/GIC01.html#

It is possible to upload data using Cumulus from other, cheaper weather stations such as LaCrosse, Oregon Scientific and Fine Offset weather stations, if you wanted to. It isn't necessary to spend a fortune to get good weather detail at home.

For Greg:
The accuracy of the Vantage Pro and the Vantage Vue is the same as they use the same sensors. The Pro version is aimed at professional requirements and the Vue is aimed at high level enthusiasts. The main difference though is that the Pro has evapotranspiration data which is required for crop farmers and plant nurseries etc and can have other sensor integrated to it, such a soil wetness and lightning counters.
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm

When I first stated looking at these, The Vue didn't exist, but I am still considering the Pro as it allows for multiple temperature sensors. From what I can work out the Vue doesn't handle this. The only place I can mount it and ensure accurate rainfall is on the tin roof. That in turn will blow the integrated temperature readings to hell and gone.

If you can tell me the Vue will allow for remote temp sensors so I can get one into the shade, than it will come back in frame. Alternatively your idea of mounting it above the TV antenna is one I didn't think of. It may get it far enough away from the roof to get a reasonable reading.

Also the last time I looked, they had geographic restrictions on who you can buy from. I will have to look into your supplier.

The reason I haven't bought yet is that the Pro costs two arms and legs. More than I am prepared to give up.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby Killakoala on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:When I first stated looking at these, The Vue didn't exist, but I am still considering the Pro as it allows for multiple temperature sensors. From what I can work out the Vue doesn't handle this. The only place I can mount it and ensure accurate rainfall is on the tin roof. That in turn will blow the integrated temperature readings to hell and gone.

If you can tell me the Vue will allow for remote temp sensors so I can get one into the shade, than it will come back in frame. Alternatively your idea of mounting it above the TV antenna is one I didn't think of. It may get it far enough away from the roof to get a reasonable reading.

Also the last time I looked, they had geographic restrictions on who you can buy from. I will have to look into your supplier.

The reason I haven't bought yet is that the Pro costs two arms and legs. More than I am prepared to give up.

The Vantage Vue does not have an option to connect extra temp sensors as far as I can tell from the manual.

However, there is no need to place it in the shade as the temp sensor is housed in a Stevenson Screen. The only consideration would be radiant heat from below it, such as hot roofs or dark ground which would cause it to read higher than ambient temps. Obviously the higher you can get it, the better the reading, but that goes without saying. If you paint the tin roof directly below the sensor white, then you could alleviate any temperature issues.
Steve.
Killakoala

Return to Announcements