Fifty Two Frames.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Fifty Two Frames.

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 am

Good morning all y'all, and happy 2012 to you as well.

As you may (or may not) have noticed, there's a new section that's been added to the Images section of the forum: Fifty Two Frames.

As you may recall, I've previously commented upon how impressed I've been with Rodney's work last year with his Street Visions series. Judging by a couple of the new threads that have started in the last week or so, I'm not the only one thusly impressed.

What I would like is for everyone here to join in this effort, and contribute one image each week to the thread that will be started by Foz. I think this will help to build up a wonderful body of work of what we are all capable of doing, over a year.

And I do not want this to supplant anything that anyone wants to do on their own either. Please feel free to undertake your own personal projects, and post those results in their own thread here ... although probably in the photographic journeys section.

I'm currently making a couple of changes to the portal page, so that the latest thread can be easily accessible from the forum's front page.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Fifty Two Frames.

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Gary,
Do we each start our own thread & put all our images in that thread, or do we have a thread per week. and all put our image into the thread of the week, or other...
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Do we each start our own thread & put all our images in that thread, or do we have a thread per week. and all put our image into the thread of the week, or other...

From the header of the new forum:
All members are encouraged to go about their business each week. With their cameras. And shoot whatever they wish. Please post your favourite (or best) work from each week within the weekly thread that will be started in this section by Fozzie.
ATJ

Postby Geoff M on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Will images posted in 'fifty two frames' also be considered for POTW along with those posted in the 'image review and critiques' section?
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks Andrew I missed that

Geoff M wrote:Will images posted in 'fifty two frames' also be considered for POTW along with those posted in the 'image review and critiques' section?

And from the POTW header:
From where ever they see fit...
If an image is posted by a member and referred to within these forums, it's basically fair game.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby Geoff M on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:Thanks Andrew I missed that

Geoff M wrote:Will images posted in 'fifty two frames' also be considered for POTW along with those posted in the 'image review and critiques' section?

If an image is posted by a member and referred to within these forums, it's basically fair game.

Thanks Greg, I missed that :D
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Geoff M wrote:
Mr Darcy wrote:Thanks Andrew I missed that

Thanks Greg, I missed that :D

So, I'm no longer needed. :)

Seriously, correct and correct: Foz will be the weekly thread starter, and I see no reason why these images should not be considered for PotW. Quite frankly, the more, the merrier.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:26 am

Great idea Gary. Good excuse to get off the old proverbial behind!!
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby biggerry on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I love this :)

members are encouraged to go about their business each week

whoah, thank goodness, there i was thinking I might not be able to go about my business every week, what a relief :wink:

Whilst I like the idea of the 52 frames and reckon teh positives outweigh the negatives, here's my take

pros:
1) gets more images posted, for me it will not encourage me to take or post any more than I did before (that however is just me)

2) gives a face to the forum, a cross section of whos here and what is in their lives - this I like.

3) Hopefully (and going by week 1) gets more people actively involved. This hopefully has a flow on effect to positive critique and comments in the images threads.

cons:

1) hard to scroll thru your own set of images at the end of the year and really, is that not what a 52 is about - I however do appreciate it is more like a 'forum' 52 rather than a personal journey

2) No incentative to critique, not really a issue i guess, but if you want critique putting it solely in this thread may limit ya chances.

3) kinda duplicates on the DTC threads? hopefully there is enough critical mass to maintain both.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby chrisk on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 pm

this is exactly what ive been asking for for a few years now. and that's a simple image thread where its easy to post an image and scroll thru lots of them in one place easily. i think its a winner and i look forward to it.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby ATJ on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 pm

biggerry wrote:1) hard to scroll thru your own set of images at the end of the year and really, is that not what a 52 is about - I however do appreciate it is more like a 'forum' 52 rather than a personal journey

But less harder than if the idea didn't exist at all and there's nothing to stop you from also posting the image in your own thread in personal journeys.

To be harsh, this is sort of light a non-con, anyway. It is sort of like saying, "It won't cure cancer".

biggerry wrote:2) No incentative to critique, not really a issue i guess, but if you want critique putting it solely in this thread may limit ya chances.

There's a whole forum for critique and people can still post there if they want critique.

As I have said in the past, I rarely (if ever) post for critique because I rarely got any. I am happy to post in the "52" threads.

biggerry wrote:3) kinda duplicates on the DTC threads? hopefully there is enough critical mass to maintain both.

Kinda, sorta, except there is no theme, so "52" is somewhat easier for people. As you say, you shoot every week so you have no problem taking photos, you can just post a variety of subjects that you decide.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:39 pm

I still think the idea should be limited to pictures actually taken in each week.

I know it is for fun. I know it is not a competition. I know there are no prizes. What it is about is a challenge. The challenge to keep active with your camera.

Where's the challenge if each week you just post some image from your archives (although that in itself might be an interesting challenge)? Peter (Stubbsy) wouldn't have to pick his camera up at all for all of 2012 and just post one image from his South America/Antarctica trip. While it would be certainly worth viewing, there's no challenge.

The idea that at least once per week (and hopefully more often) we have to use our cameras to take at least one shot that we think is worthy for the forum is a brilliant challenge.
ATJ

Fifty Two Frames.

Postby Wink on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:20 pm

I have to say I agree with Andrew. However, it's not worth worrying about so I'll go with whatever the masses decide.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby chrisk on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

ATJ wrote:I still think the idea should be limited to pictures actually taken in each week.

I know it is for fun. I know it is not a competition. I know there are no prizes. What it is about is a challenge. The challenge to keep active with your camera.

Where's the challenge if each week you just post some image from your archives (although that in itself might be an interesting challenge)? Peter (Stubbsy) wouldn't have to pick his camera up at all for all of 2012 and just post one image from his South America/Antarctica trip. While it would be certainly worth viewing, there's no challenge.

The idea that at least once per week (and hopefully more often) we have to use our cameras to take at least one shot that we think is worthy for the forum is a brilliant challenge.

i agree.
chrisk

Postby biggerry on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 pm

ATJ wrote:
biggerry wrote:1) hard to scroll thru your own set of images at the end of the year and really, is that not what a 52 is about - I however do appreciate it is more like a 'forum' 52 rather than a personal journey

But less harder than if the idea didn't exist at all and there's nothing to stop you from also posting the image in your own thread in personal journeys.

ok, heres a point though, if you post the same image in both threads its a bit like double dipping. I mean if we had a shortage of photos posted, gee i could see the benefit, but we don't, actually I don't know anywhere which has a shortage of photos posted. I do know just about every place has a shortage of quality critique and comments.

ATJ wrote:There's a whole forum for critique and people can still post there if they want critique.
As I have said in the past, I rarely (if ever) post for critique because I rarely got any. I am happy to post in the "52" threads.

I do find this interesting, if I did a 52 of any kind, critique and comments would make it invaluable, the journey through the year would be good learnign experience from having DSLRuser members look and comment. Otherwise, why not just post 52 pictures on a blog or external site? is the concept of forcing oneself to take a picture everyweek that you need? or is the need to get critique and comments what you need?

ATJ wrote:
biggerry wrote:3) kinda duplicates on the DTC threads? hopefully there is enough critical mass to maintain both.

Kinda, sorta, except there is no theme, so "52" is somewhat easier for people. As you say, you shoot every week so you have no problem taking photos, you can just post a variety of subjects that you decide.

the point is the number of people here and whether it potentially spreads people thin over a number of challenges etc, nothing to do with what or at what frequency i take pictures.

It may actually be really good and quite possibly make people interact more across more subforums.
biggerry

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Could it mean that most photographers are good at making images but crap at critiquing?
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby chrisk on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:04 pm

biggerry wrote:I do know just about every place has a shortage of quality critique and comments.

If I did a 52 of any kind, critique and comments would make it invaluable, the journey through the year would be good learnign experience from having DSLRuser members look and comment. Otherwise, why not just post 52 pictures on a blog or external site? is the concept of forcing oneself to take a picture everyweek that you need? or is the need to get critique and comments what you need?

i think you can get to a point where there is an unhealthy obsession with critique. both seeking and giving. i like the idea of seeing it balanced with a more relaxed sit back and enjoy the experience of taking or viewing a nice photo.

the most enjoyable thread of the year for me was rodneys thread and guess what it was focussed on ? images. not a burning desire for critique. it wsa just a bloke out there taking photos cos he loves it. there is much we can all learn from that.

my 365 day challenge is focussed on just that. enjoy the image. and i am going to force myself to only use my iphone or compact. i don't want to have any thought whatsoever about setting or anything bar what i see in front of me...and enjoy it.

there is a place for critique, there is also a place for enjoyment.

there are 2 reasons i see it is different from putting your 52 on a blog. firstly its cos we are a small community here. we have a connection to eachother however slim that may be. and sharing with a small community makes it more intimate than just whacking them up on a blog.

secondly, having a number of members posting images in ONE thread makes it really interesting cos you an easily see different styles, interpretations, subject matters all in one place.
chrisk

Postby ATJ on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:05 pm

the foto fanatic wrote:Could it mean that most photographers are good at making images but crap at critiquing?

Or at least "good enough" with their photographs...
ATJ

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Maybe I should have said "better at making images than critiquing"! :cry:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ATJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 am

the foto fanatic wrote:Maybe I should have said "better at making images than critiquing"! :cry:

That, too!
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 am

Rooz wrote:i think you can get to a point where there is an unhealthy obsession with critique. both seeking and giving. i like the idea of seeing it balanced with a more relaxed sit back and enjoy the experience of taking or viewing a nice photo.

In addition, I wonder to what extent criticism, generally, is taken on. Using DSLRUsers, as an example, I accept that some people will repost an image with suggested improvements, but this is a minority. That is not to say that criticism is not taken on board, but I question to what extent.

Having an area for the sake of viewing images, as they relate to different people at specified periods throughout the year.

There are simple alternatives: don't post and don't go to the thread :P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 am

Rooz wrote:i think you can get to a point where there is an unhealthy obsession with critique. both seeking and giving. i like the idea of seeing it balanced with a more relaxed sit back and enjoy the experience of taking or viewing a nice photo.

I agree, i think having a good balance is key
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 am

Hey, everybody,

Please stop overthinking this.

ATJ wrote:The idea that at least once per week (and hopefully more often) we have to use our cameras to take at least one shot that we think is worthy for the forum is a brilliant challenge.

I'm not sure about the use of the word "brilliant", but apart from that, this sums it up perfectly.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm

So 7 weeks into it, how is everyone feeling about the 52 frames concept?

Its great to see some members shots who would not have otherwise posted! Gary I am still waiting to see your weekly contribution :roll:
biggerry

Postby ATJ on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm

biggerry wrote:So 7 weeks into it, how is everyone feeling about the 52 frames concept?

I like the idea.

At this point I'm not having any problems filling frames and getting shots to pick from (see below). There is a bit of added incentive to get a good shot within the week. I suspect for me it will get more difficult when it gets colder finding enough natural subjects.

I created some smart collections in Lightroom to show me the frames I took each week. Week 6 was my lowest week (I didn't dive in that week).

Week 1: 184
Week 2: 154
Week 3: 381 (Leura/Wentworth Falls was in that week)
Week 4: 236
Week 5: 188
Week 6: 111
Week 7: 5588

biggerry wrote:Gary I am still waiting to see your weekly contribution :roll:

Gary created the thread for this week. Does that count?
ATJ

Postby biggerry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 pm

To be honest I don't really see the benefit for me, I have not really felt any increased desire to take more or better shots, by posting them up has not helped me, however I do enjoy seeing other members unique images but it does feel if the initial afterglow has worn off.
biggerry

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 am

As it relates thread, my difficulty lies in the fact that about 80% of my photos are taken in film, 18% with the D200 and 5% on the phone. Sothere are often no digital photos that I have taken in any given week.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I find it helpful, but as an adjunct to my separate 366 project. It allows (forces!) me to go back over the week's photos and choose a favourite for this thread. It is usually, but not always a photo I would regard as the best. Witness Week 7 which was a motion (mine not subject) blurred shot that had a lyre bird in it somewheres. For some reason I liked it so that's the one I posted despite it being not "worthy" Whatever that means BG.

Because of my selection process I usually post late. Unless I feel I have taken a winner on day 1.

I also post a photo on my 366 thread in personal journeys now and again, but I try not to post the same photo there as here. Just one that reflects my journey to myself. I differ from ATJ here. But that's his journey. It is not the same as mine.

I am finding the overall 366 project interesting. It seems to be evolving into a blog of sorts as it records what I was doing and where on the day. Even the desperate "it's the end of the day and I haven't taken a photo yet" shots do that in their own way. Some of them record new toys. Some my other work for the day.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Return to Announcements