New Orleans Beckons

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New Orleans Beckons

Postby gstark on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:25 am

Well, we're off to the USofA this afternoon.

First stop is Boston, where we land on Monday morning local time, after a 12 hour layover in LA. Which we intend to take advantage of. :)

While we're landing in Boston, we're not quite staying there, but heading off into outback Massachusetts, to a town called Great Barrington. There's a church there that we're going to visit. Seriously: "it's around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track".

Then it's back to Boston via Salem, where I'll likely be burned at a stake, and then we head to New Orleans and Jazzfest 2013.

I'll still be around, but probably with a little less frequency (oh yeah?) and I'm hoping that we don't have a HDD failure on the server as we did last year.

I'm taking the J1 only, btw. :)

And we'll be organising a dinner meet somewhere in May, after I return.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: New Orleans Beckons

Postby zafra52 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 am

Have a pleasant and safe trip and I hope you
enjoy yourselves. I'm sure you will have lots
of pics to share. :D
zafra52

New Orleans Beckons

Postby chrisk on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Hope you have a great time mate.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby ozimax on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:35 am

gstark wrote:First stop is Boston, where we land on Monday morning local time, after a 12 hour layover in LA. Which we intend to take advantage of. :)

No doubt the Bru Bar & Grill!
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:08 pm

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:First stop is Boston, where we land on Monday morning local time, after a 12 hour layover in LA. Which we intend to take advantage of. :)

No doubt the Bru Bar & Grill!

Actually, no.

We went to Canter's Deli on Fairfax for some soul food. Jewish soul food, that is. Matzah ball soup and a deli meat platter: 3 meats, rye, pickles (cucumbers) and potato salad. What we couldn't eat at the table has been formatted into nice little sandwiches which will put the alleged food on United to shame.

Well, the alleged food does that with no help whatsoever.

We're having a 12 hour layover, but also wanted to do some shopping. Choosing Canter's permitted that, but had we chosen Bru, that would have meant a four hour lunch and no time to spend up big at Walmart. About 8 t-shirts with various designs on them, a pair of shorts, a couple of pairs of thongs, and a couple of other things for less than $100.

Cigars also ordered, for delivery to our N'Awlins hotel.

Currently at LAX, wheels up in about 3 hours; didn't sleep well on the way over, so should sleep like a log on this flight.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am

gstark wrote:which will put the alleged food on United to shame

So that's what the substance on the plastic trays is, food! I would never have guessed...

gstark wrote:spend up big at Walmart

Good ol' Walmart. Yep, I get my singlets etcetera there every two years or so, American made, at about one third the cost of over here. Of course, there is the legend of Sam Walton, who despite being the world's wealthiest man at the time, would shop for $5 sneakers, anonymously, in one of his stores. I suppose that's why he became rich.

gstark wrote:Currently at LAX

You have my deepest sympathy. It's a toss up between LAX and POM (Pt Moresby) as for the horrible-est (?) airport in the world.

Gary, keep safe in the US of A.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Announcements