Canon eos 1n

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon eos 1n

Postby philcoop on Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I currently have a Canon 350D, and was wondering if i should get a second hand canon eos 1n film camera, does anyone have one or have any previous experience with them?? im wanting to get a more solid and more professional camera, as my 350D is feeling to light and flimsy, while attaching large lenses and flashgun to it. And my current budget doesnt permit me to buy a newer digital camera, like canon 40D.
philcoop

Re: Canon eos 1n

Postby moz on Fri May 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I suggest trying for a 1Ds or something, going back to film will cost you more in the long run (even in the short run if you use decent film). You will be surprised how good a 1Ds is, but then you will struggle to get one for under 1000 I think.

Do the numbers - how many rolls of decent film+process and scan can you get for $1000... it's not very many. Even a cheap film scanner will suck up a fair chunk of that. The alternative is cheap, shitty film run through a photo lab's shitty scanner to give you low-grade 3-6MP shots. Your 350D is better than that, regardless of what the film bigots will no doubt tell you. Come to that, if you budget (say) 100 exposures/week of cheap film that's probably around $50. Now look at buying a 1Ds on a credit card and paying it off at $50/wk... you might be able to afford it (and if you use a proper loan facility it'll be even closer).
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby phillipb on Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 pm

I would have to agree with Moz.
You buy a film camera because you want to experience shooting with film not because you want a stronger body. If you are happy with the quality of the 350D, just keep using it until it breaks, by that time you may have saved enough for a better digital body.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby aim54x on Sat May 31, 2008 1:15 am

phillipb wrote:I would have to agree with Moz.
You buy a film camera because you want to experience shooting with film not because you want a stronger body. If you are happy with the quality of the 350D, just keep using it until it breaks, by that time you may have saved enough for a better digital body.

Spot on there with the reasoning. Save the cash and keep using the 350! This is one that Ken Rockwell got wrong, for most people. I shoot film, but only on the side, and if I was to run the film as my main, then I would srsly have to look at buying a GOOD film scanner which means $$!! Lets not go into the cost of film in Australia.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging