Old photos on metal ?

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Old photos on metal ?

Postby DebT on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi,
I know zip about photographuic history so would appreciate some assistance if possible.
I have a few old (late 1800 early 1900 I'm guessing) metal photos? (of family) The base metal is very thin and appears to be a very dark redish brown, the back is either this color with a semigloss sheen and on a couple the finish has lifterd to reveal a flat rust brown color - although it appears that it is not rust as it doesn't rub off ?
On the photo side, the old style family b/w is discolored but appears to have been laid as a very thin film, and in some cases there is a ridge or two, or a bubble forming underneath.
My initial guess is some type of very thin emulsion stuck on tin ???

Any hints appreciated
Deb T
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Re: Old photos on metal ?

Postby aim54x on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 pm

I saw a few of these come in at teh camera shop that I work for. I can tell you that you can scan these on a flatbed and some photochop work will mean that you can still get a recognisable B&W print off them.

I think they are emultsion on metal plate, the stuff they used prior to celluloid.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: Old photos on metal ?

Postby DebT on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Thnaks for that - yes we have taken some copies off succesfully but really curious about what the origionals were
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging