Canon 400D pricing...

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 400D pricing...

Postby jberth1 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 pm

Wow - I hadn't seen a street price for one, but the price is very, very competative for the feature set....

Only $1170 here....

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/stor ... roduct=836

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby Willy wombat on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:51 am

wow - i wonder what the HK price will be?
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby chet on Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:19 am

that IS cheap!

Now, Nikon D80 or Canon 400D? :shock:
chet

Postby gstark on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:39 am

Willy,

I hope to find out ASAP.

My question though is whether or not they're actually available as yet. My understanding is that they were not going to be released until after Photokina, which isn't for another four weeks.

Perhaps the advanced the release date? I don't know.

What I do know is that, on Friday last, Poon had 2 D80s in his hands, waiting to be ordered by members of this forum, with more to come in this week.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:28 pm

What worries me about dirtcheapcameras is that they are normally bloodyexpensivecameras :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:43 pm

sirhc55 wrote:What worries me about dirtcheapcameras is that they are normally bloodyexpensivecameras :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 pm

The thing is, he's right. DirtCheap are notorious among bargain hunters at being BloodyExpensive.

That price has me concerned over how cheap a build quality the Canon will actually be. I already know it's made of lighter plastics... how much bloody lighter than the 350?!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby jberth1 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Well, I stand corrected !

I've always found Dirtcheap better than most other retailers - they're certainly better than Teds or Quality Cameras, but I just checked the price at Vanbar.......

$1098 !!!

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/read ... m2=&Item3=

This 400D is gonna sell like hotcakes !

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Justin - just to clarify matters. DCC were, in the beginning, very cheap but as time went by they did a HN :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Big V on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:27 pm

Weight of a 400D body only is 510 grams
Canon
Big V

Postby chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:12 pm

I wonder how the Canon 400D would compare to the Nikon D80?
chet

Postby obzelite on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Big V wrote:Weight of a 400D body only is 510 grams

wow thats like the weight of a d200, minus the internals.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:12 pm

Wow,

That's like the weight of a D200, minus the camera. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby asaroha on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:59 am

Just read this in OCAU. Apparently JBHifi in Syd CBD already have them in stock.
Abel

Nikon d80, an ever-changing collection of cheap glass, and 0 art-sense.
asaroha

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 pm

jberth1 wrote:Well, I stand corrected !

I've always found Dirtcheap better than most other retailers - they're certainly better than Teds or Quality Cameras, but I just checked the price at Vanbar.......

$1098 !!!

Justin,

Sorry, but Vanbar's price is actually 1187.01.

Here's their link.

I suspect that Vanbar may have put in a speculative price to start with.

In any case, the prices are very good.

I'm raising this again because I've just been our prices from Poon, along with advice that he's getting his in stock tomorrow.

Give me a few minutes and I'll update our pricelist.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jberth1 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 am

gstark wrote:
jberth1 wrote:Well, I stand corrected !

$1098 !!!

Justin,

Sorry, but Vanbar's price is actually 1187.01.

Here's their link.

I suspect that Vanbar may have put in a speculative price to start with.

In any case, the prices are very good.

I'm raising this again because I've just been our prices from Poon, along with advice that he's getting his in stock tomorrow.

Give me a few minutes and I'll update our pricelist.

Gosh Gary - did you sit and wait until Vanbar changed their price to say that back ? It has been 5 days since I originally posted - what was your time limit on waiting for Vanbar to change their price to shoot me down ?

You poo-poo the model earlier on in the thread, but you're happy to sell it to someone else....

Sorry back again mate, but at the time I posted, that information was correct. At least be polite enough to acknowledge that the price had changed - just as DSLRusers.com prices change from time to time. Don't crow about how you're correct and everyone else is misinformed.

Thanks

Justin
jberth1

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:22 am

Justin,

jberth1 wrote:Gosh Gary - did you sit and wait until Vanbar changed their price to say that back ?

No. I waited until I had my own prices on this. Please see my earlier response in this thread where I said, in response to Willy Wombat's question regarding the HK prices, "I hope to find out ASAP".

And if you would take a few moments to actually read my message, you would notice that I make exactly that statment. Please refer to where I said "I'm raising this again because I've just been our prices from Poon, along with advice that he's getting his in stock tomorrow."

At the time this thread was originally started, I asked Poon if he had pricing and/or stock, and his response that, at that time, was that he did not.

Yesterday, he informed me that he had pricing, with stock arriving today. I then recalled this thread with Vanbar pricing that seemed especially competetive, so I then went to Vanbar's site and saw the current pricing, and so I felt it appropriate to update information available here.

Do you have a problem with people advising people of actual prices for items that are actually available?

Did Vanbar actually have any cameras available at the prices they originally posted? I deal with Vanbar and have a lot of respect for them, but I suspect that when the price was originally posted, they would not have actually had any stock available.

But I don't know for sure, and so I am not going to speculate any further along those lines.

It has been 5 days since I originally posted - what was your time limit on waiting for Vanbar to change their price to shoot me down ?

Shoot you down? Give me a break, and please don't be such a drama queen! All I'm doing is updating the information that was originally provided - and that I had, 5 days ago, promised I would do - and I am not saying anything at all about you.

I accept, and I stated, that this is an issue with the information provided by Vanbar. Please take that at face value. And in fact, I reiterated that Vanbar's prices were still very good. Please see the bit where I say "In any case, the prices are very good.".

Do you have an issue with me stating that Vanbar's prices are very good?

You poo-poo the model earlier on in the thread, but you're happy to sell it to someone else....

Actually, and again, you need to check your facts: I am not selling anything at all.

All this site is doing is acting as an order placing facility for Poon, and the prices here, for qualified members, are better than those members may expect when dealing directly with Poon, and the service that they'll get is probably better than they'll get anywhere else, because Poon knows us, and values our custom.

Sorry back again mate, but at the time I posted, that information was correct. At least be polite enough to acknowledge that the price had changed - just as DSLRusers.com prices change from time to time. Don't crow about how you're correct and everyone else is misinformed.

I didn't check Vanbar's price when you posted your original message, because I had no need to. I have no issues accepting that what you posted, at the time you posted it, was accurate.

But their information, when I checked it, is what it is, and their prices remain very attractive: in all honesty, I see very lttle benefit in buying the 400D body only through Poon when the price differential is so low. Body plus lens is perhaps a different story, but for body only prices I see little benefit.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby AlistairC on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:49 am

Hi all,

I am in Hong Kong and can confirm that the 400D has come out here, I saw one and had a 5 second handle of one today in Fortress (One of the big electronics places here, kind of like Dick Smith Powehouse) and it felt like a really nice camera, the over the counter price they quoted me, no bargaining was 6680HKD or about $1100AUD, I'm sure you could find it cheaper in other places......... I may head down to Mongkok and see in the next few days.

Hope this helps

Alistair
AlistairC

Postby Wocka on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:53 am

Hardley Normal @ Balgowlah have a 400D on display. If I remember correctly the cost was around the $1680 mark with a EF-s 18-55 kit lens.

Cheers.
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Sheila Smart on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:19 pm

A couple of years back, I ordered a Canon 20D from Dirtcheap and was promised that it would be in stock in approx two weeks and that I was about fourth on the waitlist. Two weeks went by and I emailed them to be told that stock had come in but they still did not have a camera for me. I cancelled my order and it took a couple of emails for them to credit my card with the deposit. I bought elsewhere for a similar price I recall.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Wocka wrote:Hardley Normal @ Balgowlah have a 400D on display. If I remember correctly the cost was around the $1680 mark with a EF-s 18-55 kit lens.

Cheers.

Body only, from Poon, Au1100.

With the 17-85 - a far better lens tan the 18-55 - Au$1840.

Including delivery to your door
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jammy2 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:14 am

Sorry to revive an old thread and I am sure quite a few of the Canonites have their 400Ds already in hand :) Just a heads-up that the 400D review is now posted on dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
jammy2

Return to Canon Corral