Nikon D60 owners

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D60 owners

Postby csquare on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 pm

hey guys,

i need help from my fellow D60 owners, now the problem started after i transferred a few photos from the camera to the computer, after this transfer...

1. i am no longer able to view my pictures on the camera (when i press the playback button nothing happens)
2. after taking a picture it should show a quick preview on the lcd but that doesn't work anymore (and its not because i have the option turned off)
3. i cannot format my sd card on the camera as it says under my current setting that function is unavailable

The camera was working fine previous to the transfer of pictures onto the computer i've tried resetting the settings but that doesn't help, i've tried a new sd card but that isn't the problem either. so i call upon you wise users for help because being unable to view my pictures on the camera is driving me crazy, i can only see them on the computer :cry:
csquare

Re: Nikon D60 owners

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Have you tried a factory reset?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby aim54x on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Have you tried taking the battery out of the camera and restarting the camera after a short pause? I have never come across this problem, but then again I dont use my camera to transfer images (other than the few occasions where I have used the D300 whilst out and about). Did you use the Nikon Transfer software to transfer images? Did the transfer finish properly?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm

does anything appear on the LCD ? maybe your play button is screwed ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby csquare on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 am

by factory reset do u mean the reset function on the menu? because i've tried the reset function on the menu but it doesn't fix it =(

no i have not tried taking the battery out and restarting, but i'll give it a shot

yes the lcd does have display, but i can't get it to display pictures that i have taken, and i don't think its the button because it worked fine before the transfer of pictures
csquare

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 am

While I cannot offer any further suggestions on how to resolve the issue, was the camera turned on when you disconnected it from the computer?

Can you use other USB devices on the computer, using the exact same USB port on the computer? Were you using a USB mounted directly on the computer, or through a hub?

As a general guide, we never suggest connecting your camera to the computer for the transfer of files. For the cost of a few dollars, a card reader does a way better job.

csquare wrote:3. i cannot format my sd card on the camera as it says under my current setting that function is unavailable

In what way does it tell you this? Is the format menu option actually disabled? Or do you no longer see it?

When you say that the problem also occurs with a different memory card, what happens if you try formatting this different card externally from the camera?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:31 am

what we know works:
the camera takes pictures
the pictures are on the SD card
the LCD works
even with another SD card the pics wont play on the screen

here's another fault finding task...go to the retouch menu and try and retouch a photo. for this to occur it must display the picture on the screen. see if the pic displays first of all. if it doesn't display you may have a directory problem on your card or something or some sort of software error preventing the cam from accessing card info.

if the pic does display then there is an option there to press the play button to cancel the processing.

if pressing the play button doesn't work then you know the button itself is screwed. if it does work then i have no clue as to whats gone wrong and if a factory reset doesn't work then i'm afraid a trip to nikon service is your only option.

for future reference: i can only echo gary's comment that a card reader is definitely the way to go.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby J.Davis on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:23 pm

I have never had this problem (and hope I dont), my camera has never displayed a non working menu item. I have always used a card reader.
Sorry I cant help.
Regards
John
Nikon D7000,Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 F2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Nikkor 50 F1.8, Nikkor 85 1.8.
Benro A650, SB600.
J.Davis

Postby aim54x on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm

I wonder if the OP has fixed the problem...

Just a bit of housekeeping...I am very surprised that the OP has not been hassled for the lack of a location in their profile.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby tasadam on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am

Some computer viruses can affect connected USB devices.
Because the fault only became evident after connecting the camera to the computer, a fair assumption that it has something to do with it. Have you checked where the USB cable connects at the camera? Nothing bent or foreign there?
You say now this fault occurs on more than one card - has this other card been connected to the same computer?
Maybe do a virus scan of the cards on a clean computer?
Then format a card on a clean computer, factory reset the camera, insert the card in the camera and format it there, and try again.
Take it to a local friendly camera shop and see if they have an opinion. Or say I am thinking of buying a memory card, can you show me that this memory card works in my camera?
They will put it in, format it, take a photo, and play it back.
Then offer suggestions "if" it doesn't work.

Do let us all know what you find the problem to be, it may help someone else.
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby csquare on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:48 am

sorry for the late reply been really busy
unfortunately i still haven't been able to fix my problem, there was nothing wrong with the cable and when i got the new sd card i put it in the camera and it never came into contact with the computer so i think there is something wrong with the camera itself rather than the sd card. by factor reset i'm assuming u don't mean the reset function in the camera itself? and i can't format the card on the camera it says that function isn't available under current settings and i can't get to the photo touch up functions on the camera. i'm thinking of perhaps reinstallling the firmware but i'm not sure how to go about that anyone have any other ideas?
csquare

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am

csquare wrote: i'm thinking of perhaps reinstallling the firmware but i'm not sure how to go about that anyone have any other ideas?

While I think that's a good idea, I'm also a bit reticent to suggest this.

Based upon what we've seen thus far, I'm of the opinion that we have a hardware issue which requires a return to Nikon Oz for assessment and repair. I'm concerned that trying to reload the firmware might cause other issues.

if the camera is still under warranty, I'd be taking it in for service. If it's not under warranty, then perhaps the firmware option before service ...

To apply a new firmware version, you need to log on to Nikon's site (Asia for Nikon Oz) and download the binaries. The site contains full instructions for performing the upgrade. Basically, you copy the binaries to a memory card, install the card into the camera, and then install the binaries into the camera. Also, it's important to note that you should use a fully charged battery before performing the upgrade.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 am

THis is most intriguing, I still have not come up with anything else you can try. I would send it back to NIkon and see what they say...esp if it is still under warranty.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby csquare on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 am

hey gstark could u link me the site with the firmware? because i can't find any firmware download on nikon's site
and i'm starting to think it is a software problem because the other day i pressed the reset button, (the one under the usb flap) and when i turn on the camera i'm able to see the pictures in the playback menu and use the retouch options but if i leave the playback i'm no longer able to access it again :( so i think something is wrong with the software on the camera
csquare

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 am

Any firmware updates should be on this site.

[housekeeping]Could you please be so good as to add a meaningful location into your profile? Please read the pink section at the top of this page, as well as the FAQ[/housekeeping]
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am

There wasnt anything available for the D60 so I think you have a trip to Nikon on your hands mate.

Very sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Nikon