D3s announced

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D3s announced

Postby terminator on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:27 pm

link....http://nikon.com/about/news/2009/1014_d3s_01.htm

Looks like no 1080p video...
Termy,
http://www.glennlegge.com
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)
terminator

Re: D3s announced

Postby mickey on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Yes please!

don't need the 1080p but the IQ should be impressive.
mickey

Postby surenj on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Holy CARP!

ISO 102400 :shock: The price may be a similar number.... :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby wider on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 pm

what technology/methodology is behind this crazy new sensor?

heatsink included heheh?
wider

Postby surenj on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Actually when I think about it, this camera may be the first consumer camera that can photograph the darkness!

Also soon, we will not realise (due to lack of flash) that we have been booked speeding on the road. RTA will be having a party.
surenj

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Don't overlook the other announcement today.

A new 85mm f/3.5 AI-S VRII G DX lens.

Not fast, but this is their second prime lens specifically made for the DX market.

My expectation is that this might be an inexpensive cream machine (9-blade curved diaphragm).

No pricing as yet; availability slated for December.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 pm

pricing isnt that bad actually. the video, if its the same as the d300s is horrible, is a pointless addition.

what i'm really pissed about is yet another dx lens and not a mention of any other glass updates. this to me raises the question...WTF is nikon thinking ?? do they actually prioritise lens releases/upgrades ?

i mean GMAFB you wankers. :roll:
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Rooz wrote:what i'm really pissed about is yet another dx lens and not a mention of any other glass updates. this to me raises the question...WTF is nikon thinking ??

What are Nikon thinking?

I'd say $$$$$$$$$.

The D40 was the top selling camera in Nikon's primary markets for quite some time. The D60 and the D3000 are both surprisingly good cameras, and this lens, along with the earlier 35mm have been made speficially with these bodies in mind.

Think of of it this way: those with the el-cheapo Nikon DSLR bodies now have small, light-weight, el-cheapo primes for those bodies.

And these lenses will walk out of the stores, regardless of whether their new owners need the lenses, or not. This is high volume and high margin territory.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MATT on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:26 pm

gstark wrote:Don't overlook the other announcement today.

A new 85mm f/3.5 AI-S VRII G DX lens.

Not fast, but this is their second prime lens specifically made for the DX market.

My expectation is that this might be an inexpensive cream machine (9-blade curved diaphragm).

No pricing as yet; availability slated for December.

Not forgetting that this is a Micro lens also, will be interested in how it goes.. I just dont see the point of this depending on price. If it is half the price of the 105 the fair enough if its more like 2/3rds then why not get the 105. I guess only time will tell.

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:37 pm

MATT wrote:Not forgetting that this is a Micro lens also, will be interested in how it goes.. I just dont see the point of this depending on price. If it is half the price of the 105 the fair enough if its more like 2/3rds then why not get the 105. I guess only time will tell.

MATT

I'm half expecting this to be less than (or maybe around) the 85 f/1.8. it's slower and DX only, so it should be cheaper.

Then again, it's AI-S, VRII, and as you correctly point out, micro.

Two steps forward, three steps back!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 pm

gstark wrote:
Rooz wrote:what i'm really pissed about is yet another dx lens and not a mention of any other glass updates. this to me raises the question...WTF is nikon thinking ??

What are Nikon thinking? I'd say $$$$$$$$$.

The D40 was the top selling camera in Nikon's primary markets for quite some time. The D60 and the D3000 are both surprisingly good cameras, and this lens, along with the earlier 35mm have been made speficially with these bodies in mind.

Think of of it this way: those with the el-cheapo Nikon DSLR bodies now have small, light-weight, el-cheapo primes for those bodies. And these lenses will walk out of the stores, regardless of whether their new owners need the lenses, or not. This is high volume and high margin territory.

and i am not complaining about them making money. good on them ! BUT, you have to service both ends of the market. with all these lens releases they couldn't find time/ inclination for ONE top end prime lens ? not ONE ? come on. there's gotta be balance here. the 50/1.4G was a half assed upgrade so i dont even count that one.

nikon gives us a d3/ d3x and d3s in the space of what...2 years ??? they go for the top of the market in bodies but their lens division does the exact OPPOSITE and release DX primes and more DX zooms. to me this is just crazy stuff.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby terminator on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Interesting to see if the D700 ugprade follows shortly with the same sensor??(and video)...
Termy,
terminator

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Unlikely, I would think. Another year, perhaps.
Murray Foote

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 am

SENSOR CLEANING in D3s....as well as the increased buffer. It should be a good camera.

As for the lens...I thought it was a AF-S 85mm f/3.5VR DX Micro-Nikkor.....not AI-S....which makes it an interesting lens, a DX micro....that should double over as a decent portrait prime.

I am with Rooz in thinking...WHERE ARE THE FX PRIMES!!! An AF-S 85mm f/1.4G would be nice...apparently a patent for this lens has already been found...and there are rumors of a AF-S 24mm f/1.4. These would be nice to get!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:59 am

It is AF-S.
Murray Foote

Postby Grev on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 am

Pretty much a decisive factor in getting rid of most of my Nikon gear except my manual lenses and such.

Seeing if there was a D700s, it'd be the same stats as the D3s, don't even think about a D700x.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Steffen on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:38 am

Murray Foote wrote:Unlikely, I would think. Another year, perhaps.

Agreed. The D700 is only a year old, I don't see a D700s before mid next year (and sporting minor updates à la D300s).

As for the 85mm DX Micro, I think this is interesting and it remains to be seen how much they ask for it. It would have to be substantially less than the 105mm FX Micro to make sense. If so it will be an attractive macro solution for DX shooters.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby terminator on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am

The real winner here will be Canon as it looks like Nikon will have no immediate answer to the 5D Mk2.
No camera with 1080 video and no cheaper alternative to get into the high MP race for landscapers/studio work...
Nikon to me have cornered themselves re pricing and have nowhere to go...
Termy,
terminator

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 am

terminator wrote:The real winner here will be Canon as it looks like Nikon will have no immediate answer to the 5D Mk2.
No camera with 1080 video and no cheaper alternative to get into the high MP race for landscapers/studio work...
Nikon to me have cornered themselves re pricing and have nowhere to go...

Can I point out that Nikon now have TWO (and now likely THREE - if the D3 stays and the D3s is as good as we think it will be) professional cameras that dont have proven to meet (and exceed in some opinions) expectations.

Yep Nikon does not have either 1080 video nor a cheap high MP body, but these will come in time (esp the cheaper high MP body), but at the same time Nikon probably does not want to hurt their still strong D3X sales just yet. Many may want those pixels but the D3X is out of reach, so patience will be the key here. For many, there is still enough reason to get a D700 over a 5D II, but for others the temptation of those pixels and video means the Canon is looking good. You cant really swap camps easily so patience...

Just my thoughts
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby terminator on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

aim54x wrote:Yep Nikon does not have either 1080 video nor a cheap high MP body, but these will come in time (esp the cheaper high MP body), but at the same time Nikon probably does not want to hurt their still strong D3X sales just yet. Many may want those pixels but the D3X is out of reach, so patience will be the key here. For many, there is still enough reason to get a D700 over a 5D II, but for others the temptation of those pixels and video means the Canon is looking good. You cant really swap camps easily so patience...

Yep..Canon could be looking real good :D
Termy,
terminator

Postby wider on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 am

@terminator- yes and no, although they are competing against each other, it seems they are almost diversifying their product range through vastly different competitive advantages, and therefore expanding their target markets instead of butting heads against each other.

a bit similar to the issue Korea had with their Chaebol - all the large brands producing the same product and not making any money due to poor product differentiation.

ie. you have the crazy ISO handling of the D3 range, but lower MP count. noise wise, canon probably cannot compete with this machine. i would think that there are many more photojournalists and sports shooters than landscape artists. studio work would be one of canon's strengths but medium format equipment is also attractive for those who have the money.

nikon seems to be more of a risk-taker than canon, and although their lens range could still be expanded upon its good they are keeping the market under pressure.

man im getting tired of people comparing SLR cameras by their HD video stats.
wider

Postby surenj on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

I doubt the professionals will be affected by the differences and idiosyncrasies between Canon and Nikon. The difference in price is not enough for a pro to get worried or hung up about. They may switch camps in search of better lenses however.

For [poor] amateurs looking for pixels and video, 5D would be more affordable.

Interestingly, if you are beginning in video, 5D/7D maybe the only way you could get good quality and do some great DOF effects on a budget.

I don't think you can compare medium format with 5D.
surenj

Postby wider on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:46 am

the pros already responded to canon's poor Mark 1D3 and jumped to nikon - many things can entice someone to change brands but for the high iso performance nikon is a likely choice

video is quite hard to shoot on a DSLR, i think the features and setup on video cameras are much more enticing still

im not comparing the 5d to medium format, but many 5d's are commonly found in studios, and in this market the next level competitor would most likely be a medium format rig
wider

Postby surenj on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:04 pm

wider wrote:the pros already responded to canon's poor Mark 1D3 and jumped to nikon - many things can entice someone to change brands but for the high iso performance nikon is a likely choice

I am not sure of these facts but maybe the pros in this forum can comment. I assume you are one of them.

wider wrote:video is quite hard to shoot on a DSLR, i think the features and setup on video cameras are much more enticing still

That is why I suggested it's suited to a beginner who is unable to afford a significantly more expensive video camera.

wider wrote:but many 5d's are commonly found in studios, and in this market the next level competitor would most likely be a medium format rig

Are you implying that the upgrade is from 5D to medium format? if so, I agree. They won't be competing with each other though, as the price brackets are vastly different.
surenj

Return to Nikon