close-up filters

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

close-up filters

Postby terry on Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:38 pm

Has anyone any experience in using these things?

According to the guy at Fletchers (Burwood) it should work well with my 70-300mm Nikkor lens?

Thanks for your input

Terry
Nikon D70 Kit
Nikkor 70-300G
Nikon SB800
terry

Postby Glen on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:18 pm

Hi Terry, I have the Nikon 6T close up filter, there is a thread on it under bargains called "close up filter" (what else). With links to photos. I am happy with it
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:42 am

It's to compliment the Nikkor, which does not have very good macro capabilities, compared to the Sigma and Tamron competitors.
Onyx

Postby Matt. K on Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi Guys
I don't recommend you spend good money on close-up filters. They are a second class way to go. For about the same cash outlay you can get a set of extension tubes that will fit between all of your lenses and the camera and give you much better quality. Because they have no glass elements in them then they don't compromise the quality of your expensive Nikkor lenses. You will lose your metering and autofocussing but that's no problem with digital photography. Take a couple of pics and check your histogram for exposure...and use manual focussing. The rings come in a set of 3 and aby adding or removing rings you can change the magnification. They are metal and will never wear out.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:46 am

I all agreed with Matt, I have the Tamron 90 + 180 Macro lenses for macro purposes on flower, bug, bees in my garden.
But tempted myself a Canon close-up filter 500D/ 77mm, I asked Onyx get for me one and he did last week, he'll bring home with him and I'll try it on the 70-200VR or the new lens 300/2.8 VR (when it available).
I think the Canon 500D on the 70-200VR will helps me with faster autofocus and quick locking the subject (butterfly, bee, etc..).
The macro lenses is slow on autofocus, hunt alot, but if you want a real macro 1:1 then manual focus is a must and a tripod is your friend.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:10 pm

Birddog's 500D is about as expensive as close up filters get (cost more than a Nikkor 50/1.8 or 70-300G!), they are a 2 element design, and quite heavy (if that's an indication of quality), compared with other cheaper brands of close ups, eg. Nikon's 6T and Hoya and B&W sets.

While I feel privilledged to have in my posession Birddog's Canon 500D filter, I guess we'll have to wait a month or so until Birddog himself could provide us with sample pics, as I don't have a lens that could utilise the filter thread size.

For those that have used close up filters - is there a need for exposure compensation? I mean, it's extra elements of glass in the way, and it seems to work in the same principle as teleconverters, which reduces lights by a whole stop or two...
Onyx

Return to General Discussion