Live Feed setup question, multiple cameras, mixer, wireless

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Live Feed setup question, multiple cameras, mixer, wireless

Postby haring on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:55 am

I am looking into building a live feed system. I would like to provide live feed for online events, weddings, workshops.

I would like to have 2-3 cameras to record the event. I am thinking
about attaching a wireless transmitter to the cameras to send the signal
to a live feed video mixer. I would like to switch back and forth
between cameras signal is broadcasted to the online viewers.

How would you do this? What king of DSLR/mirrorless HDMI transmitter you
would use from the camera to the video mixer. What kind of solutions
there are to switch back and forth between cameras? Thanks so much!
haring

Re: Live Feed setup question, multiple cameras, mixer, wirel

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 am

You may want to have a look at OBS Studio. It's a free software solution that may offer some assistance.

From a hardware point of view, you might want to look at the products that Rode and Black Magic Design make. They both make very high quality solutions which are reasonably priced.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby haring on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:53 am

gstark wrote:You may want to have a look at OBS Studio. It's a free software solution that may offer some assistance.

From a hardware point of view, you might want to look at the products that Rode and Black Magic Design make. They both make very high quality solutions which are reasonably priced.

Thanks so much!
I like OBS. Do you think I can do the video channel switching via the OBS on my notebook? It looks to me that I don't need a Black Magic switcher, right? I am thinking getting 2 video feed and 1 audio feed into OBS and do the video switching in OBS between cameras...
haring

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:06 am

haring wrote:
gstark wrote:You may want to have a look at OBS Studio. It's a free software solution that may offer some assistance.

Thanks so much!
I like OBS. Do you think I can do the video channel switching via the OBS on my notebook? It looks to me that I don't need a Black Magic switcher, right? I am thinking getting 2 video feed and 1 audio feed into OBS and do the video switching in OBS between cameras...

I was at a blues gig yesterday afternoon, and thinking of doing something similar but rather than streaming, just using OBS to record the stream to a laptop's HDD. I've not yet tried wireless transmission into the laptop, but with Canon cameras I can use either the EOS webcam driver/USB or HDMI into USB, and I expect that that could give me a two camera feed into OBS.

Nikon don't, to my knowledge, have a webcam driver, but I expect that I could use HDMI into USB from my D810 or D3400 into OBS as well.

I don't know that I'd be happy with the audio quality that the cameras offer, so I'd probably look towards using my Zoom H6 for audio, recording discreetly on the H6, but I could also look to feeding that audio into the laptop as well.

All of this is mostly theoretical at this stage though; I need some actual time to play and experiment with the available options and see what works.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 am

gstark wrote:so I'd probably look towards using my Zoom H6 for audio, recording discreetly on the H6, but I could also look to feeding that audio into the laptop as well.

Gary I'm currently doing a lot of video work for the church etc. I'm primarily using the little Rode "Wireless Go" on camera mic setup and it seems to work well. Would a separate audio recorder such as the Zoom H6 (or similar) give me better audio quality than the Rode Go, and is it worth the extra editing step? (It is only talking, not music etc). Thanks in advance. Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:30 am

ozimax wrote:I'm primarily using the little Rode "Wireless Go" on camera mic setup and it seems to work well. Would a separate audio recorder such as the Zoom H6 (or similar) give me better audio quality than the Rode Go

For what you're doing, probably not.

Rode gear (and Zoom, for that matter) is very high quality, and my points here (although probably not clearly made) were that by using the Rode or Zoom you're bypassing the camera's built-in mic with something of a much higher higher quality, and that I have a H6 here (from my radio interview days) and I don't (yet/ATM) have any Rode gear.

One other point about the H6, BTW, is that for recording music gigs I can often take a stereo feed off the mixing desk. That's not going to be the case in your situation I expect, and one needs to be aware of what is being fed into the desk: vocals pretty much all the time, but often not all of the instruments. Bass? Drums?

And that also calls into question the quality of the person behind the desk. IME, guitarists really don't do a good job; bassists are great though. (care to guess what instrument I play? :violin: )
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 am

gstark wrote:(care to guess what instrument I play? :violin: )

The school recorder? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to General Discussion