Effect of Aperture on contrast

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Effect of Aperture on contrast

Postby Justin on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:50 pm

especially on strongly backilit subjects.

I discovered this when trying to take a shot of the colosseum with the sun setting behind it. On full auto (out of frustration with manual exposure, to see what the camera would do), I would get better foreground exposure than the best I could set manually. Main difference between my manual setting and camera auto being the aperture.

My after-the-fact reasoning is, could this be that, the more light let in (e.g. f3.5), the more the light will burn and eventually blow the highlights, therefore a smaller aperture (e.g. f8/f11+) will let less of the stonger backlight in whilst allowing a longer exposure for the foreground...

...However a smaller aperture affects the entire picture, so there must be something else going on here optically for this to work.

So... what does anyone know about the effect of aperture on contrast and exposure characteristics and how far off is my reasoning?
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby sheepie on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:18 pm

Good question - I don't have the answer, but I bet someone here will. *** Bumping *** this one so that it gets a second chance of being seen! ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Justin,

I think that the contrast changes you're seeing are a red herring.

The issue is that you have a scene with a vast contrast range that needs to be covered - far greater than what your sensor is capable of recording.

As you bring the exposure into the range of what the correct exposure needs to be, you will, by definition, start to see more detail in those areas that are within shade, whereas those areas that are outside of the shade are .... blown.

What metering modes were you using, and why is it that you think that the camera was metering better than you were capable of doing?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 pm

Justin,
the aperture doesn't affect the dynamic range of the sensor (the darkest and brightest light values it can distinguish) as long as the exposure remains the same.

Stopping down a lens can help image contrast, though, since it cuts down on internal reflections. Images marred by internal reflections in the lens look washed out. That's probably what you are seeing. The stray light hits areas of the frame that would otherwise remain darker...

Stopping down generally also improves resolution (until the aperture gets so small that diffraction takes over as resolution limiter), which is sometimes perceived as sharpness, sometimes as contrast.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Justin on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:20 am

well, going through my photos last night it appears I deleted the manual exposure, so I can't even prove any of what I said above, pretty hopeless. Let's hope it wasn't just my memory addled by Tuscan sun and wine....

However, 'contrast' is probably the wrong description, which I think you incisively understood. This is about exposure - I will try to take some test shots this weekend to demonstrate what I think I mean.

Cheers,
J
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Return to Tips and tricks